The dashcam failed to record. A suggestion for a fix.

New member to the Nextbase 512GW family! Bought the Halfords package deal for both front and rear cams and Nextbase's own 16GB memory card for £218. Got it hardwired too.
So was happy with it for the first few days, then I noticed that it wouldn't record. It was an incremental ailment. At first, it would only record the first 4 seconds and then start up a new clip, for another 4secs.
Then, shortly after, it wouldn't record at all.
I even did a hard reset, and it still didn't help.
I viewed the recordings and yep, only 4seconds, with no indication why.
The biggest indication that the card had an issue, was that there was no recording left for me to view from when it was first installed. Like it never existed, even the protected ones.
I did a card reformat, and so far, for 2 days, there's not been an issue yet.
To be sure, I also did another hard reset on the 512GW too.
Not sure exactly where the problem is: Nextbase's own memory card, or the hardware itself. Sharing my experiences to see if there's some more trending here.

Couldn't sort out my problem earlier as I was away, phoned support today, got camera exchange for brand new from Halfords. New camera doesn't charge up at all, it works when plug to power source but it doesn't charge up, as soon as I unplug it it says low battery. I was charging it at home plugged to 2 different usb chargers and also driving around with it. I will call back tomorrow, what a waste of time ;(

Not sure exactly where the problem is: Nextbase's own memory card, or the hardware itself. Sharing my experiences to see if there's some more trending here.

My girlfriend had a similar issue. Like yourself we got a NextBase SD card from Halfords while picking up the camera and hardwire kit. It seemed to work fine for a couple of weeks before recording only short clips of varying length. Swapped it out for my old 32Gb SanDisk (as I had recently upgraded to a 128Gb card) and it has been fine ever since.

Returned the NextBase card as faulty (though the Halfords clerk wasn't too happy to refund it).

I could be wrong, I usually am, but these failures seem to me to be a failure to deal with a full card with some protected files on them.

Be interesting if you performed a 'full' format to get the card back to 100% capacity and go again, if you already haven't.

OK, this is what I've decided to do although currently waiting for replacements from support. This is the second camera I'm on so I don't think another replacement is going to solve the problem unless there is a change in hardware/software.

I've removed the rear camera because firstly, the video from the front camera is reduced too much. There are clearly issue when the video quality from the £50 rear camera is better than the £150 front camera. As I've bought a £150 dash cam I don't expect it to record like a cheap dash cam. Secondly, the issue with the freezing and not recording may be resolved by removing the rear camera.

I think Nextbase has made a mistake offering this as a dual channel setup. I think the hardware is simple not up to it. But on it's own, the 512 is great.

Back