The Design of all installed Dash Cams is STUPID.

TrevorEllis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Combining the monitor and DVR into a single unit is a very stupid idea because it means that the full functionality is never available.

If the unit is mounted on the handlebars:

- Parking protection is not available because the unit will be stolen.

- Units that are not fully waterproof will stop working when they are disconnected and moved under the seat as recommended, who needs recording in the rain.

If the unit is mounted under the seat:

- no use can be made of the monitor

One could remove the tank and re-wire the unit every time one leaves the bike or it rains, but that would make you stupid.

I have not found and model with a separate monitor and DVR, where the monitor can be removed without stopping the protection.

Every manufacturer describes an impossible set of functions for their device without addressing the above. Are they unaware of the problem or deliberately ignoring it?

Do you need to be able to see the monitor while moving? What use is it?

Not sure why "every manufacturer" has currently got it wrong, but hopefully we will soon see some wifi bike cams where the main unit can be permanently mounted in a dry and secure location and setup is via wifi app.

I’m not sure I’m understanding.

The “monitor” is your smart phone when it comes to the Wi-Fi enabled INNOVV K2 camera system and it has parking mode. It’s very water proof all around too. It’s the highest quality option on the market as of today from what I’ve seen and I just got back from the big shows in China. (Nothing better)

Except ! people moving on 2 wheels that have their phone on the handlebar are stupid ( personal opinion )
And i dont feel much smarter when i dock my phone in my car, only feel good about that is that in my car are pretty much the only place i charge my phone.
It also feel a little like OP are thinking of action cameras on a motorcycle, and yes that are no good and not really a dashcam but more a means of journey logging, in the same way a selfie are not a picture but a selfie.
In general you use a screen to set up the camera once, and after that maybe to do a in camera format of the memory card now and then. Other than that the screen should not be used ( IMO )

I will say if you drive in the rain then the camera should also be working there, BUT ! as there are no wiper on the lens i have a feeling it will not take much before your recordings made in rain are useless.

Having fallen off my share of times, I'd rather have my phone in an inside pocket under my jacket where I can hopefully use it if needed. Stuff on a crashing bike doesn't tend to stay in place or survive well and you won't have time to grab it as you get launched. And if you're in the habit of riding without constantly paying 100% of your attention to operating safely, and not on some screen or phone, you'll get to learn these things via personal experience too :eek::(

Phil

I heard in the new a lot of US bikers got off really bad at some meet a few days ago, but i never found out how so many could get in that much trouble with a pickup truck.

I didn't look deeply into that, but it seems the bikes were riding together side-by-side or staggered and the pick-up went into their lane rather quickly. No fault to the bikers at all, although I never liked having anyone directly beside me. I only ever trusted two people there and occasionally did it in group rides where I had to. That wouldn't have mattered here- sometimes there's almost nothing you can do.

Phil

I heard in the new a lot of US bikers got off really bad at some meet a few days ago, but i never found out how so many could get in that much trouble with a pickup truck.
I didn't look deeply into that, but it seems the bikes were riding together side-by-side or staggered and the pick-up went into their lane rather quickly. No fault to the bikers at all, although I never liked having anyone directly beside me. I only ever trusted two people there and occasionally did it in group rides where I had to. That wouldn't have mattered here- sometimes there's almost nothing you can do.

Phil

That crash happened not too far from where I live so it's been big news around here. A 23 year old guy caused the accident with his full sized pickup truck and trailer that killed 7 bikers. The large jackknifing trailer was what took out so many bikes at the same time. The truck exploded. He was charged with seven counts of negligent homicide.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/22/us/new-hampshire-motorcycle-accident.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tran...e-crash/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.431d1ad25ecd

motorcyclecrash.jpg

crash.jpg

Last edited:
first thoughts were that it may have been intentional but reports here say the driver of the pickup was on heroin and passed out while driving, tragic accident regardless

Again one if left wondering why a vehicle get into oncoming traffic, but off the top of my head i will go to the usual suspect,,,,, the smartphone.

Ooooo well smacked up on horse, thats even worse than any phone,,,,,,, visualizing the scene from Pulp Fiction where Vincent all smacked up drive to get Mia

first thoughts were that it may have been intentional but reports here say the driver of the pickup was on heroin and passed out while driving, tragic accident regardless

The 23 yo driver, Volodymyr Zhukovskyy was charged with operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs on May 11. Zhukovskyy was also charged with operating under the influence in 2013. At his house the police found wax packets containing residue that is believed to be heroin, but there is currently no evidence he was impaired during this accident. In fact, the police sent him home and he was only later charged with negligent homicide. The news reports state that he was a fugitive from justice when he was extradited from Massachusetts where he lives back to New Hampshire to face charges but that is apparently a legal technicality because he was brought in from out of state and he has been cooperative with the police.

Last edited:
He's got a poor driving record and wasn't supposed to be holding a driver's license but the government hadn't done it's job with that yet so he was legally licensed when the crash occurred. He may also be in the country illegally. Whatever the government does to him will be small compared to what sympathetic jarheads will do- Marines take care of each other. The only worse thing I can think of would be to have the Mafia or a 1% M/C Club looking to get their hands on you- that guy is toast and deservedly so.

Phil

Well you cant really weasel your way out of such a mess, here another cyclist have been hit by a hit and run car, so police down in the southern part of Jutland now search a brown pickup with a missing mirror ( i assume it dident loose it in the event cuz then they would know what make / model to look for )
And yesterday 2 unknown kids ( probably from Sweden / some Arab country ) was shot dead in Copenhagen, seemingly by both pistol and assault rifle, the stolen getaway Audi have been recovered, where they normally torch those to destroy DNA evidence.

I agree... I'd prefer a small bullet cam, front and rear, w/o any sort of "display". I don't have room for a display, or a need for it. Should I need a recording, I'll yank the card out and take it to a PC where I can actually see what's what. The Innovv K2 looks interesting, but at $335+ (at least that's what it was on Amazon last I seen), that's a "bit outside my budget". If anyone has any more budget friendly options, please let me know.

I agree... I'd prefer a small bullet cam, front and rear, w/o any sort of "display". I don't have room for a display, or a need for it. Should I need a recording, I'll yank the card out and take it to a PC where I can actually see what's what. The Innovv K2 looks interesting, but at $335+ (at least that's what it was on Amazon last I seen), that's a "bit outside my budget". If anyone has any more budget friendly options, please let me know.
You can consider a more budgetary and not the worst option - this is Blueskysea DV188 now for only $ 120

You can consider our coming motorcycle dash cam, better price and spec compared K2.

You can consider our coming motorcycle dash cam, better price and spec compared K2.

See, now you've got my attention.... I need a dash cam for my new 2-wheeled love..... it's a boxer and a gorgeously alive (vibrating) 2 cylinder, but boy do I love it.... anyway, I can buy me a taylor made gps/phone mount (https://www.motorradzubehoer-hornig...gation-und-Kommunikation/GPS-Halterung-3.html), and in that mount I can also mount a small camera right upfront against the windshield..... But, I really need image stabilisation, cause of the, well you know.... shakey shakey...

vlcsnap-2019-08-08-01h50m30s425.png

And for those who know me, yes I had to part with my also beloved Yamaha FJR1300, it was waaayyyy too fast for this 55 yr old heart patient...

fjr1300-4.jpg

Far from as loud as the 2 Harleys i met today, stopped in traffic some 6 car lengths behind them just idling they was annoying and i went "fags" as i always do with too loud vehicles.
When the light turned green and they set off it was a horrible loud mess, and it was not like they revved their sh.. much.
Some times a biker pass by my apartment, apparently not knowing the other biker living 30 M from me have moved out a long time ago, so the bike get revved up and i am sure it have nothing but a strait pipe, almost make the glass in my windows rattle.

Far from as loud as the 2 Harleys i met today, stopped in traffic some 6 car lengths behind them just idling they was annoying and i went "fags" as i always do with too loud vehicles.
When the light turned green and they set off it was a horrible loud mess, and it was not like they revved their sh.. much.
Some times a biker pass by my apartment, apparently not knowing the other biker living 30 M from me have moved out a long time ago, so the bike get revved up and i am sure it have nothing but a strait pipe, almost make the glass in my windows rattle.

yeah they do that don't they.... it happens on occasion when I'm driving my truck at some 85 kph, out of nothing a thunder strikes when they pass me by..... almost makes me cr@p my pants..... That never happened when driving my FJR1300..... they just didn't keep up.

Back