The downside of parking mode in cold weather

Although a timelapse of the ice forming might be interesting

I'd had the cards out the camera last night mate - saying that I did have some saved of when it snowed - I'll try and dig those out as meant to speed them up a bit!

Tell me about it. Sunday night here in New England it went down to -15 degrees below zero Fahrenheit (-26.11 Celsius) with windchill of -40 F. I wouldn't even try to operate a dash cam in these conditions even if the windshield was crystal clear. Tonight will be much better, only down to -4! We are having the winter from hell this year. There is literally no place left to put snow.

Rev..

i dont get this with my downward facing outside rear mounted lens ....

We only had a bit of snow and it brought the place to a standstill near us - probably the same over where Pete is too!

I'd love to have as much as you guys have over there but I don't honestly think they could cope with it!

We can hardly cope with the amount of snow this year and we are accustomed to this. Every time we get shoveled out a major new storm blows in. It's just insane! Every year we get some bitter cold weather but then it usually moderates. This year it's been hovering around zero, above or below to one degree or another and that's were it stays with more days (nights mostly) well below zero than any year I can recall.

We can hardly cope with the amount of snow this year and we are accustomed to this. Every time we get shoveled out a major new storm blows in. It's just insane! Every year we get some bitter cold weather but then it usually moderates. This year it's been hovering around zero, above or below to one degree or another and that's were it stays with more days (nights mostly) well below zero than any year I can recall.

You must be in a city. Out in the country we have plenty of space left. We plow our yards leaving a lot of extra space just in case we get an abnormal amount of snow. Having aid that, for the first time I can remember the town sent out a bucket loaded to move the snow banks. That is not normal here.

Tell me about it. Sunday night here in New England it went down to -15 degrees below zero Fahrenheit (-26.11 Celsius) with windchill of -40 F. I wouldn't even try to operate a dash cam in these conditions even if the windshield was crystal clear. Tonight will be much better, only down to -4! We are having the winter from hell this year. There is literally no place left to put snow.

I expect my car to start at -40. I expect my car radio to work at -40. Why should a dash cam be any different?

...Sunday night here in New England it went down to -15 degrees below zero Fahrenheit (-26.11 Celsius) with windchill of -40 F. I wouldn't even try to operate a dash cam in these conditions...

We've been down to -15 here and my cams have been working just fine.

...We are having the winter from hell this year. There is literally no place left to put snow.

Yea, you folks in New England are having a tough time. We had the same thing last January/February but fortunately we got the snow at a rate of 6" or so every 2 or 3 days so it was a bit easier to keep up with it.

You must be in a city. Out in the country we have plenty of space left. We plow our yards leaving a lot of extra space just in case we get an abnormal amount of snow. Having aid that, for the first time I can remember the town sent out a bucket loaded to move the snow banks. That is not normal here.

I expect my car to start at -40. I expect my car radio to work at -40. Why should a dash cam be any different?

I live in a rural area out in the middle of nowhere on a 30 acre property. All the places the snow plow driver puts snow are pretty backed up at this point. I have a two level deck off the back of my house where I shovel the snow off the deck. The snow is piled up maybe seven or eight feet around the deck and stairs so that one has to manually shovel the snow beyond that out into the field below rather than the usual places it gets placed. The path to the mailbox is so deep with snow that it is difficult to shovel snow high enough so that it stays where you shovel it. On the other side of the house and barn I get huge drifts plus I just raked 3 feet of snow off the roof of the house and barn on top of that.

As far as dash cams are concerned the DSPs are not rated to function at such extreme cold temperatures. (depends on the cam) My Mobi won't work at 15 below and Isoprop provided the specs to explain it. Also, lithium-ion batteries can't be charged below 32 degrees Fahrenheit or they will be permanently damaged.

Last edited:
I use my 70's dodge truck to plow a big area in front of the house. Not having a deck I do not worry about that problem. i have typically been able to plow within 1-3' from the front steps with the truck. hand shoveling is much easier that way. The back steps are not a winter use item.

I use my 70's dodge truck to plow a big area in front of the house. Not having a deck I do not worry about that problem. i have typically been able to plow within 1-3' from the front steps with the truck. hand shoveling is much easier that way. The back steps are not a winter use item.

For me it's partly the layout and nature of my property and driveway. My driveway and parking area are about fifty feet from my house so I have to shovel a path.

I built a sauna behind and attached to my barn, just off the deck. Here's a photo that only tells a small part of the story. You can see the space between the sauna building and the deck (there's a shower down in there) is filled with shoveled snow but the roof of the sauna still needs to be raked off and the deck needs more shoveling (again). We've had much more snow since this photo was taken.

snow.jpg

Last edited:
Now thats snow :) we havent had somthing like that in my part of Denmark ( eastern jutland) since 1994, back then we had snow for 3 days, and too much snow for me to go back to work on sunday.

begravetlandrovergr08.jpg

When regular ambulances get replaced by these i count it as snow.

pmv_roenne.jpg

Found this link with some pics from the good old days :)
http://www.vildtvejrsklubben.dk/articles.php?article_id=33

That's a lot of snow.
Today we have really hot sunny weather and I wash and vacuum my car in shorts and T shirt.

hehe our weather forcaster once did the same, saying "it will be a little windy the next days" and we got the worst storm in 100 years :rolleyes:

Yea. What sucks is I need to fix my rear defroster because the top few lines don't heat up, blocking my rear cam.

It never snows here :(

Wow, that's awesome -that is proper snow!!!

This is what we class as snow in the UK :D

Last edited:
Back