The driver of this vehicle RA55 UXT tailgating me at 70mph

If you are making an extended version, could you put the cameras in sync please?

There is one point as you are passing a van where I can see the rear wheel of the van in both front and rear views in the same frame, clearly the cameras are out of sync by a few seconds which seems to make it look even more dangerous and makes it impossible to match the sound with what happens since we don't know which video the sound is synchronised to, if any!

If you are making an extended version, could you put the cameras in sync please?

There is one point as you are passing a van where I can see the rear wheel of the van in both front and rear views in the same frame, clearly the cameras are out of sync by a few seconds which seems to make it look even more dangerous and makes it impossible to match the sound with what happens since we don't know which video the sound is synchronised to, if any!

Wish I was that good with video editing and sound syncing to make the perfect video (still a newbie with editing videos and all the works, at least I'm learning something new).

The driver of the Skoda Octavia with registration RA55 UXT in this video decided to tailgate me on the fast lane a few days ago as it rained. I had no chance to speed off because I would have ended up tailgating the vehicle in front of my bike neither could I switch lanes because there were vehicles in the second lane. After a fearful few minutes, I was able to switch lanes and escape a possible crash. Hopefully this video would let other road users realize how badly this could have ended and whoever the driver is, he stumbles on this video online and realises how dangerous this was.

You know what you needed in this situation? you needed a handful of roofing nails.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

There are no 'fast lanes' in the UK. They are all 'overtaking lanes' apart from the nearside lane.

There are no 'fast lanes' in the UK. They are all 'overtaking lanes' apart from the nearside lane.
Just a term I use when I'm describing the lanes...Slow lane: mobile phone user lane or exit lane, Fast lane: can't be bothered lane:sneaky:

You know what I'm just gonna repeat what I said in my previous post as it seems some later comments are missing the issue.... Blink Blink is in the outside lane, Skoda wants to pass, yes he gets close and shouldn't have done, but Blink had PLENTY of time to move over to let him past and STILL move back out without having to change his speed if he was catching up to the cars in the lane to the left of it.

In my opinion, you saw the impatient skoda approach, and because he flashed you (factually I absolutely believe he flashed you because you had room to safely move out of his way regardless as to whether he was "right" to flash you), you deliberately stayed in that lane to irritate him..... just so you could get footage. You're not entirely innocent of wrongdoing

It would be interesting to know how close the Skoda actually was? Ignoring the points where he got extra close due to Blink decelerating...

The rear view clearly has a narrow field of view making it look a lot closer than we are used to with most car dashcams, what field of view is it? Looks about 100 to me...

It would be interesting to know how close the Skoda actually was? Ignoring the points where he got extra close due to Blink decelerating...

The rear view clearly has a narrow field of view making it look a lot closer than we are used to with most car dashcams, what field of view is it? Looks about 100 to me...
The side mirrors would give a better idea of how close he was (objects are closer than they seem in mirrors yes?). Makes me remember the dinosaur in Jurassic park chasing after the car and smashing it to turn it over :unsure:

The side mirrors would give a better idea of how close he was (objects are closer than they seem in mirrors yes?). Makes me remember the dinosaur in Jurassic park chasing after the car and smashing it to turn it over :unsure:
I can't see him in the side mirrors, I can see the vehicles you have just passed, but comparing the view in the side mirrors with the rear view doesn't work because the videos are out of sync.

I can't see him in the side mirrors,
You can't see him in the side mirrors? :eek:
but comparing the view in the side mirrors with the rear view doesn't work because the videos are out of sync.
Was just talking about the side mirrors now. The rear view recording was not in the equation in my last post. Basically from the video, you can see the Skoda clearly in the mirrors which means he was very very close (viewing it on a bigger screen may help but I can see his headlights and the cars in the second lane clearly in this footage)

regardless of what you were doing and whether you could or couldn't change lanes at whatever point in time the Skoda was way too close and should have backed off a bit

regardless of what you were doing and whether you could or couldn't change lanes at whatever point in time the Skoda was way too close and should have backed off a bit
Exactly, he was way too close. I won't even wish my enemy to be in that situation :cry::confused:

But we can't tell how close the Skoda was since we don't know what the field of view was, or the field of view of the mirrors.

Changing the field of view can make a huge difference to how things look, this is the same piece of video played twice but with different fields of view:
(Undertaking is illegal in the UK)

But we can't tell how close the Skoda was since we don't know what the field of view was, or the field of view of the mirrors.

Changing the field of view can make a huge difference to how things look,

Skoda flashing motorcycle in front aggressively in the wet = Skoda very close for comfort

Let's call a spade a spade. In any circumstances of a road traffic accident, the view of the camera won't make any difference if this ended up with the death or injury of any of the victims

Last edited:
Riding a motorbike, you need to strike a fine balance. You can't be too submissive, and you shouldn't be aggressive. But you do need to be assertive.
I've always tended towards being very assertive. But you need to understand how much control you have. One of the reasons I love riding a 1200cc sports tourer is that whatever I'm doing, I can crack open the throttle at any time and leave just about any car standing. That gives a lot of options.
In the wet, things are very different. Cars can do things (or at least safely try to) that are best avoided on a bike. So there's a bit of a role reversal. I still think I'd have kept the Skoda waiting. He's not Moses parting the waves (traffic.) If he's behind someone acting within the rules he has to put up with it and wait to be done a favour. If he'd been acting like a psycho it would have been a different matter.

I think the OP is on a sub-litre bike, going by the sound. :) That may have made it a better idea to move over temporarily, it depends whether the gap in front of him was getting excessive at any point.
Some of my hairiest moments were while riding a 250cc bike. I went straight from that to 1200cc and everything magically got safer.

viewing angle is not as narrow as your edited example, car was too close for the conditions
How can you tell the viewing angle?

The amount of fisheye is a clue, very distinct fisheye in the front view where it looks like we are keeping a good distance and zero fisheye visible in the rear view where it looks like the Skoda is too close. Is there no fisheye at the rear because it is a narrow angle lens which also has the effect of making the Skoda look too close?

Back