The G90 mount is rubbish - what alternatives have we got?

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
It seems pretty common that the G90 mount is not the greatest and the biggest weak point of the package and falls off a lot (not great news for a dashcam) - not sure if they've been updated already with the newer batches but just wondered what other options you guys are using (other than smearing the existing one with vaseline / lube?)

I've got a GS6000 mount on the way to see if it works - I noticed @Sabe had done something similar and it's cable tied on, so in theory the pins are hopefully the same.

I've got one of these on the way from China to see if it fits:

5.jpeg

Just wondered what other options people were using on their cars.

Last edited:
I have old GS type camera parts and i use those. I like that one because base is attached permanently on the windscreen with velcro, and once i got it right i don't have to move it at all, and camera is pointing always to the right direction without a worry.
Basically you can saw that one part off like i did, and then you can quite freely make your own wedge shape or whatever and attach that to it.
Those electric pins are useless, it's same usb connector in camera and base.
Dsc_6985.jpg

That's good work there - I'm hoping they'll release a GPS mount like the Samoon 3H2F-D used - that way you can add GPS easily!

61vSdAFb-nL._SL1500_.jpg

That was a great camera in hindsight - especially with Falsificator's custom firmwares.

This one was from here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00EVR6SHM
In hindsight I probably could have got a camera with a similar mount for not a lot more money!

I have run the camera with the USB direct into the camera a few times - it's a shame it didn't use the T mount like the DOD cameras and G1W do, although I guess they went this way purely to make the addition of GPS easy.

I have run the camera with the USB direct into the camera a few times - it's a shame it didn't use the T mount like the DOD cameras and G1W do
I agree and unfortunately the half ball joint and mount clip are too small to put into a 3M stick mount.

The suction cup is pretty small and flat so doesn't have strong suction.
It fell quite a few times but hasn't fallen off for over two weeks since I applied some Vaseline. ;)

yeah, so the issue i have with the included mount is it will not rotate further.

I am wanting to use this cam in the back. i have suction cupped (my word :) ) it to the dome light , so the camera in essence is totally vertical.

the issue is the mount will not rotate more to have the cam sit totally vertical. its pointing up towards the top half of the back glass (this is in an suv) instead of straight out the window.

are there any updates gents on other solutions you guys have found? i am not very handy with sawing off stuff (dont even own a saw)...

it cant suction to the glass because i dont want to put i there (the hatch opens up) and the wiring is not ran to thee glass anyway.

Make sure the plastic side screw on the mount is not tight.
That'll allow to move back and forth.

I've been running mine without the mount screw in at all. I don't know how well it would fair stuck to a dome light, but mine as been fine on my screen since I got it. Enough give to move around, but not so much it wobbles.

I plug directly into the camera, So it makes it easier just leaving the screw out as well.

the mount physically STOPS and prevents the cam from rotating back any further. the screw is not even an issue.

I would ditch the mount all together but there is no way to mount the cam without it. If there is another mount that can attach to this cam let me know.... ;)

the mount physically STOPS and prevents the cam from rotating back any further. the screw is not even an issue.

I would ditch the mount all together but there is no way to mount the cam without it. If there is another mount that can attach to this cam let me know.... ;)

If it's already as far as it can go, then maybe the dome light is at an upward angle.
Not sure but may need to attach something in between the suction cup and dome light to make it more level or downwards.

If there is another mount that can attach to this cam let me know
I have gone and sliced a G90 mount open. Unfortunately the half ball used in the mount coupler is to small to fit anything else I have. I tried a Vicovation 3M mount witch has a smaller coupler then my rear view mirror mount and still it would not even come close to holding it.

If they would just make the half ball inside the stock mount a little bigger and completely round it would fit into the stick and suction cup mounts already out there.

If it's already as far as it can go, then maybe the dome light is at an upward angle.
Not sure but may need to attach something in between the suction cup and dome light to make it more level or downwards.

Thanks for willing to offer suggestions. The dome lamp is flat with no angles so it has nothing to do with that. The ball mount needs to rotate further to accommodate for cams not being mounted on curved surfaces (like windshields)

If they would just make the half ball inside the stock mount a little bigger and completely round it would fit into the stick and suction cup mounts already out there.

Exactly! This cat gets the idea... ;-)

It's quite expensive for them to retool the molding at this point. They need to get users feedback like this pre-production.
I could not imagine it being that much to cast a new mount. I could see re-doing the whole camera being costly, but to take the current mount and just make one with a different top end?

The pin part is fine. It's just the ball inside the current mount.

30cx5hh.jpg

On the left side is what the stock G90 mount swivel part looks like if you get it out of the big suction cup. If they could go back take just that socket piece make it a little bigger and round off the top it would fit into the 3M stick and suction cup mounts already on the market.

The right it a G1W with the socket part of the rear view mirror mount attached. The Mirror mount joint is a little biger then a Vicovation 3M stick mount joint allowing me to stick the G1W in my Vico 3M stick mounts already in place without using the lock washer if I don't want and have it still be stable.

I'm sure you would know the true cost more then me though, but I really hope they can work something out.

For anyone looking for pre-production feed back on future models.

Stop using the pin style or any other style mount

Unless you are bringing something special to the table that is really innovative (Like the GuardTrak or maybe Mini 08XX) Please no matter what you do use a T slot style mount. As a DashCam enthusiast there is nothing I love more then being able to put up one mount and try all kinds of different cameras.

I use one mount for my G1W, TF2, Marcus 3 and WF1 when it worked, and it makes life so much easier and DashCameras so much more portable.

Also if any G90 owners are curious. If you ever break the lock clip on your stock mount get a hold of a pack of Eyeglass screws and some super glue. The shorter Eyeglass screws will fit right into the slots on each side of the pins.

It also really helps to use a magnetic tip screw driver to tighten them down a little, and top them off with a dab of super glue to make sure they don't rattle out.

Last edited:
YES!!!! Sounds like an idea!

Duct tape won't work? ;)

YES!!!! Sounds like an idea!
Just remember you have to crack the stock mount open and be careful not to damage the part in the picture. It's a bit tough to separate I had to go at it for a little while.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DeLorean G90 10
Sunny G90 4
C G90 5
Back