The hunt for a mobile DVR and quality cameras

zapstrap

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have been searching for weeks now and have yet ot find a total solution for my particular situation, at least one that won't break the bank!

I have a transport truck and want to monitor the sides of the vehicle as well as the view from the front. It gets mighty difficult to find something that meets all of my requirements!

Does anyone here have any ideas?

If you don't want HD, then high quality analog cams with a 4-channel DVR designed for car environments would be your best bet. There are dashcam setups which offer 2 channels but the 2nd channel tends to be lower quality. BlackVue (excluding their 2-channel unit) offers really nice units, but you don't have to spend that much for a nice cam, especially if most of the cams don't require GPS etc.

Thanks for the suggestions DashBoat. I have been looking at some of the mobile DVR's out there. Some are very reasonably priced with lots of features that could come in handy, like 3G, GPS, WIFI as well as interfaces with the vehicle to record speed, g-forces, etc.

My biggest challenge so far has been finding a good forward facing camera. It has to be able to capture images in the dark, snowy, rainy nights. I had an Axis IP camera, a Q1604, mounted in the passenger side windshield and the images were incredible. The problem was that it ate data for breakfast on the lowest settings, it would need to be completely rebooted every time I started the truck and it was huge. The Wide Dynamic Range gave fantastic night images though, better than my own eyes could see!

So, there has to be a good quality analog camera that has similar features! The rear facing ones are no problem, just the same as the ones used as back up cams on RV's and garbage packers etc. The DVR's all come with 4 channels so there's always the possibility of sticking the 4th cam somewhere, like at the very back of my trailer, but the punishment it would get back there would be brutal.

Do you want all 4 to record or only front facing to record and side ones just to view ?
As I understand, - side ones has to be a waterproof because they will be mounted outside and front one can be mounted inside, right ?

""Do you want all 4 to record or only front facing to record and side ones just to view ?
As I understand, - side ones has to be a waterproof because they will be mounted outside and front one can be mounted inside, right ?""

I want all 4 to record, and yes, the outside ones need to be at least IP67 due to the extreme environmental exposure. From snow and ice build up in the winter, dust and heat in the summer and the occasional blast from a pressure washer, they need to be extra tough. Like I said, I'll probably only use 3 channels anyway. The 4th will be a toy to play with by mounting it wherever.

Edited to add that, Yes, the forward facing cam will be inside...

II just had the driver of one of our other trucks snap this pic this morning. I placed the white square where I want the forward facing camera to go...

I don't blame u guys up north wanting those cams....A bunch of us here saw that AH trucker passing the snow plow too!!!?#?$?%

extraoneya, that has a lot to do with it but it wasn't what prompted me to do this. We have a certain group of "new Canadians" who are terrifying to be on the road with though...

I'm just completely frustrated by how there are a zillion dashcams, most cheap crap, and a few fancy bus systems but nothing affordable for trucks. There's the guy in Calgary who sells a 4 cam system but I can't justify the kind of money he's asking.

All I need is to find the right forward cam and I'll have my system built.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, multiple cameras won't work for my situation.

I checked their site but it doesn't look like Finevu makes a camera that could be wired to a mobile DVR. It's a shame because it looks like they make a quality product.

if you want it all in one you're limited at the moment, better to have at least a front facing camera if nothing else, good multi channel solutions are coming but they're still some way off at this stage

You're jokiin right? haha, sorry it was just there...;)

Seriously, you mean to tell me that in all the world there is no good quality cam that will meet my needs? 50 GAZILLION dashcams and every kind of surveillance cam you can think of and not one that will simply plug into a DVR? Seriously?

There is the guy in Calgary Alberta that has been selling a 4 channel analog system for over 10 years. It works from what I have seen but it is just too expensive and his system is still using the same technology as when he started, as far as I know anyway.

I can see myself spending no more than $1000 per vehicle.

Nothing? come on....

..........snip..... doesn't look like Finevu makes a camera that could be wired to a mobile DVR.
that's got me confused....the cams contain their own memory card to record the vids, then record over them when it's full....or am I misreading what u have in mind.

Seriously, you mean to tell me that in all the world there is no good quality cam that will meet my needs? 50 GAZILLION dashcams and every kind of surveillance cam you can think of and not one that will simply plug into a DVR? Seriously?

yep, that's what I'm telling you, anything available now is still old tech, new solutions are coming but expect to wait a year if you're looking for true multi channel full HD solutions before they start to hit the market

Well that sucks...
Thanks for letting me know anyway...

That doesn't mean u can't put together a system that may not be exactly what u want. but will do the job until something better comes along.

If you go with a mobile DVR and CCTV cameras, just make sure to get a DVR witch can record in D1 - 30 FPS ( NTSC ) on all 4 channels.

I myself have tried this in my car, but its depressing to compare the footage to the dedicated dashcams with 1080P HD footage.

I used sony effio E and effio S cameras, all 650 - 700 tvl cameras.

A video with the kind of footage you can expect.
I should mention that youtube degrade video, and to me it seem especially hard on the footage i got off the old DVR setup, the RAW footage look better when i view it off my harddrive

PS. we have the same problems here with the "new Danes"

Last edited:
Just caught this entry on Techmoan's blog, showing how he is using the Mobius with the lens removed from the housing. Read the comments, they discuss putting this unit in a weatherproof housing, so maybe a few of these units might do the job, they are pretty affordable as well.

There is the guy in Calgary Alberta that has been selling a 4 channel analog system for over 10 years. It works from what I have seen but it is just too expensive and his system is still using the same technology as when he started, as far as I know anyway.

I can see myself spending no more than $1000 per vehicle.

Nothing? come on....

Have a look at the units we offer. www.reliable-eyewitness.com , we have been supplying O/O's for years and have good options at great prices.
For a fwd face camera the GT550WS and GT680W are selling well. For a side mount camera we have some tow operators that mount (SJ4000) it to the mirror supports in the supplied waterproof case. The results are good.

Video of SJ4000 on tow truck. Note: operator uploaded at lower quality to hit details. This camera is a full 1080P camera and looks close to a GoPro style.

If you go with a mobile DVR and CCTV cameras, just make sure to get a DVR witch can record in D1 - 30 FPS ( NTSC ) on all 4 channels.

I myself have tried this in my car, but its depressing to compare the footage to the dedicated dashcams with 1080P HD footage.

I used sony effio E and effio S cameras, all 650 - 700 tvl cameras.

A video with the kind of footage you can expect.
I should mention that youtube degrade video, and to me it seem especially hard on the footage i got off the old DVR setup, the RAW footage look better when i view it off my harddrive

PS. we have the same problems here with the "new Danes"

Thanks kamkari! Now this is some info I can use.

I just got back from a run and saw the usual, cars cutting across 4 lanes to make their exit, my safe following distance constantly being filled by 4 wheelers, a gem at a Costco who flew through a couple of parking spaces at warp speed, you know, the usual... I soooo wanted to have some youtube material from all that, but with no system in place, I can only try to describe what I saw... hmmm, I have an idea! lol

I know what I'm after exists. It's just going to take some more hunting...

Back