The Ideal After Market Dash Cam

DashCamManToo

Reaction score
Country
United States
The dash cam market, like others, has its pluses and minuses. Users often wonder why things are as they are and why manufacturers fail to think about this feature or that.

Here's a place to add your thoughts.

My first contribution would be to suggest that the recording and main circuitry box with its attached display should be something that can be placed anywhere the user desires. This would leave just the tiny camera and lens component to be attached to the windshield.

I would suggest that this arrangement would be more utilitarian, be easily upgradeable to better cameras and just simply darn handy in keeping the windshield clear of obstructions.

What do you think?

Often wondered about that myself. The "camera" could be discrete with unlimited storage et al safely tucked away.

It exists (but not with 'unlimited' storage which no camera will ever have) - https://streetguardian.cam/sg9663dr-remote
Interesting, but it looks like the Main DVR Unit is attached by wires limiting its placement. A dedicated WiFi or Bluetooth connection would make this an ideal package. Or or am I interpreting the image shown wrong?

A couple interesting points. Unless I am understanding it incorrectly, the device is not able to be hidden away because the display is on its face. They call it a DVR, which is correct and an excellent idea. However, separating the display would be a better idea. (So we have stumbled upon another desired feature.)

I like the idea that their device can handle up to 400GB, which is quite a lot in my mind. Still, we might want more. Let's address the issue of unlimited recording. Is it possible? Yes, it is. The question remains how it is accomplished.

Normally, we just add more storage capacity as we need it. The other method is to upload everything to cloud storage, which is virtually unlimited.

I would move away from the idea of wireless, unless we want unattended backup to the cloud or our home server. Wired connections are always faster and more reliable.

Interesting, but it looks like the Main DVR Unit is attached by wires limiting its placement. A dedicated WiFi or Bluetooth connection would make this an ideal package. Or or am I interpreting the image shown wrong?
Yes, the cameras and processor are cable connected. To the best of my knowledge what you're looking for doesn't exist, and even it did each component would still have to have a wired power source so little would be gained. Additionally, neither BT or WiFi has sufficient bandwidth for Hires real-time video capture.

First, the idea that something does not exist is exactly what this post is all about. Please do not mention what is not possible. Rather stick to what we would like to see.

Also, WiFi can indeed handle hi-res streams. That is the whole point of new tech and standards.

Here is another one. While some can, most cannot. And that is the feature of the "police stop" mode (or whatever you wish to call it). Every camera should be able to be turned on its swivel to point at the driver's side window in case of a police stop.

I would have to use my phone with a police interaction, or stand in front of or behind my car, but this is due to me exiting the car at once when pulled over as i prefer to not have anyone hovering over me.
And thats okay too here, but probably not something that would be popular in the US, for reasons i also understand and respect and would do my utmost to handle correct if i ever got in that situation.

The sad thing is i am forced to document police behavior as they can be pretty bad, and the system are generally tailored to take any police mans words for the truth, it is actually embarrassing short time since if you complained about a cop, the same cop would investigate the complaint about himself, it is now changed to has been cops investigating cops, but the chance of you getting vindicated are still small as these people act just like any other tight knit organization like the mob or biker gangs.

Yes, the cameras and processor are cable connected. To the best of my knowledge what you're looking for doesn't exist, and even it did each component would still have to have a wired power source so little would be gained. Additionally, neither BT or WiFi has sufficient bandwidth for Hires real-time video capture.
And yet I can stream movies. I appreciate they would still need a power supply but with separate components one (the camera) could be made smaller and the other could be the size of a desktop PC if necessary. Something along the lines of a webcam.. for example, and some of those are even wireless. .

Last edited:
WiFi IP security cameras have been around for quite some time and they have gotten smaller as time goes by. The Blink cams and Wyze cams are two examples. There are even pricey 4K models on the market. Unfortunately, this technology as it currently exists would be wholly unsuitable for dash cam use if one expects to have the quality and reliability of real time video capture we've come to expect from today's dash cameras. People report all sorts of problems and frustrations with these cameras such as dropped signals, lags and image quality issues.

Again, this is not for what is not done, but rather what we wish was possible. Please stick with that.

People have been posting about their (often impractical) dash cam fantasies for many years on this forum and so this thread is merely just another rehash. Virtually, none of these fantasies and feature requests we so often hear on the forum have or will ever come to fruition for good reason. Literally every dash cam manufacturer is beholden to the SoC chip manufacturers who dictate which core features and capabilities are available to dash cam/action cam developers since they don't have the resources to design and build their own chipsets. Unless or until chipset manufacturers decide to accommodate these kind of daydream fantasy capabilities and most importantly could do so in a form that is reasonably affordable, its all just a form of self wankery.

It's not that dash cam manufacturers don't think about this feature or that, it's that they simply cannot implement core features that are not available to them.

Users often wonder why things are as they are and why manufacturers fail to think about this feature or that.

Virtually, none of these fantasies and feature requests we so often hear on the forum have or will ever come to fruition for good reason. Literally every dash cam manufacturer is beholden to the SoC chip manufacturers who dictate which core features and capabilities are available to dash cam/action cam developers since they don't have the resources to design and build their own chipsets.
So untrue as to be laughable. All the current chips are totally able to handle many more features than currently put into use, and are more than adequate for those features we wish to see as listed here.

Again, thank you for such positive and encouraging verbiage. :rolleyes:

So untrue as to be laughable. All the current chips are totally able to handle many more features than currently put into use, and are more than adequate for those features we wish to see as listed here.

Again, thank you for such positive and encouraging verbiage. :rolleyes:

There are indeed some features that do not get implemented but for the most part these fantasy dash cams that people like you envision will never happen. Things like wireless full resolution mass storage or wireless in-car cameras are nowhere on the horizon nor are these currently available in the chipsets. People have be wanting to be able to connect their dash cams to small SSD drives for years but the capability just doesn't exist in these SoC chips.

Going back years here on the forum these "fantasy dash cam" threads are always started by naïve new members who have virtually no practical experience with dash cams or knowledge about their manufacture.

It can certainly be be fun to imagine stuff that doesn't exist but it's nothing more than idle daydreaming.

It can certainly be be fun to imagine stuff that doesn't exist but it's nothing more than idle daydreaming.
Like your idle daydreaming and misinformation about chip sets. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
So untrue as to be laughable. All the current chips are totally able to handle many more features than currently put into use

Like your idle daydreaming and misinformation about chip sets.

And so please tell us which hidden dash cam features you are claiming exist on these chips and list each processor manufacturer.

All you seem capable to doing is making broad empty claims with no proof while dishing out insults.

Back