The list of shame fake 4K dash cameras Ultra HD

It only takes up to a 32gb card?

Doesn't seem 4k spec to me m8. Need to see what chipset and sensor it uses.

Why don't you record at 1080 but 60fps - for comparison (Novatek)? IMO only 60 fps guarantees smooth plates - especially while you film driving at road speed

I have tested 2 similar cameras in my car, one recording 60 FPS the other 30FPS, and i can not say any was better than the other.
It is true that with 60 FPS you have 2 X as many chances to get a plate capture, BUT ! if the 60 camera got a plate the 30 camera also always got it every time.
So my conclution to my test was that 60 FPS are only good in the sense you can slow a event down to half speed and still have smooth video.

The 30/60fps discussion is off-topic for this thread. The only benefit of 60fps I have found is in marginal lighting conditions with a camera that maintains min 1/60s exposures, compared to another that allows frame-doubling and uses longer exposures at the expense of more motion blur.

Amazon are a waste of time. i tried reporting an lauminium item being sold as stainless steel and they did nothing. the welds on the item were a clear clue as welding aluminium and steel is very different.

Can someone tell me if this is a true 4K cam please? Vantrue X4. It uses the Sony IMX317 sensor which is a 4k sensor but it claims to use the Ambarella A12 processor and the tech specs for it claim to max out at quad HD

https://vantrue.net/Goods/detail/gid/67.html

https://3vpstm1hc6e52739x31131p2-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/A12A-Product-Brief.pdf
Yes, it is real 4K, but only single channel unlike the other 4K dashcams, although some of the others are available without the rear camera.

It is also a bit lacking in detail and exposure control, especially at night:

but it claims to use the Ambarella A12 processor and the tech specs for it claim to max out at quad HD
Maybe they are not using the "automotive" version, which might mean that it overheats in hot weather?

Thanks for the feedback, strange they both use the same sensor and get such different images, strange also that the Vantrue seems over exposed in the day and under exposed at night :unsure:

Was looking at the Viofo myself but the form factor puts me off, I liked the fact that you can turn the ball-joint mounted cams to face the side if a road rager starts giving you grief.

Thanks for the feedback, strange they both use the same sensor and get such different images, strange also that the Vantrue seems over exposed in the day and under exposed at night :unsure:

Was looking at the Viofo myself but the form factor puts me off, I liked the fact that you can turn the ball-joint mounted cams to face the side if a road rager starts giving you grief.
The ball mount will result in vibration issues, generally they are OKish at 1080 resolution but at 4K the camera shake can blur all the extra resolution, not very desirable.

If you haven't seen a Viofo camera, they are a lot smaller than they look from the photos, but yes, you can't rotate them. If you have the IR version you can rotate the interior camera, maybe mount it on your mirror which can be rotated, or mount it on a rotatable mount, or point it towards the side all the time.

Is that what the 'A' suffix stands for?
I think so, not sure what the difference is but it may have a few processing cores missing compared to the standard version so that it doesn't overheat in Australian summer conditions, but which means it can't handle 4K like the standard version can.

I'll have a look at the IR version and maybe rethink, I guess in an emergency you could install it with a bit of cable slack and just unmount it and hold it to capture side footage.

Is that what the 'A' suffix stands for?

Ahhhhhh
Buy a VIOFO A119 V3 and you will be very happy.
What did you decide?

Reported it m8. Spammers are a waste of breath...

Paul.
I emailed @DashCamMan as well in case he doesn't see the notification, hopefully he'll get a chance to clean up the mess soon and we can resume normal programming

Back