The message is clear. Don't mess with the Uber driver.

What a waste.

Absurd on so many levels. I think the uber driver was going to shoot no matter what, and it was pure luck the moron threatening him falsely claimed to have a gun.

Anyway, Darwin 1, redneck 0.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I wish guns were legal here, concealed or open carry or whatever

Maybe so, but I would still consider it justified. I know if I were the passenger and saw the car being forced to a stop in a dark and seemingly deserted area with someone moving towards the car shouting that they have a pistol, I would want my Uber driver to shoot first and ask questions later. Now if the guy had held his hands up and said he just wanted to talk, then it might've been a different story.

Who knows, if the guy hadn't been shot, he may have succeeded in finding the ex and something worse could've happened to her?

KuoH

I think the uber driver was going to shoot no matter what, and it was pure luck the moron threatening him falsely claimed to have a gun.

"Stand your ground" laws can get mighty touchy but I believe them right and proper when life is positively being threatened. Anyone claiming to have a gun and the willingness to use it has certainly posed such a threat. Darwin wins the day here,

Phil

I have zero sympathy for the dead guy. He did threaten to shoot, in a country that allows guns. And I wouldn't want the Uber driver charged.

BUT the Uber driver was very quick to shoot, despite having other options for staying safe. He didn't even have time to process the threatening comment, his mind was already made up.

The fact is, in at least 95% of other countries in the world, this would have been a storm in a teacup, a short argument, a realisation the wrong car had been stopped, trading of insults and everyone would have been on their merry way. Instead one man is dead and the other is a killer. And a passenger is traumatised.

This is not a good advertisement either for the USA or for the right to bear arms. To be frank, this kind of incident is what I'd expect to see in one of the lowest third world nations. *

* Edit > Or, in fairness, here in London too, these days. I've lost count of the number of stabbings, many fatal, in recent weeks.

Last edited:
BUT the Uber driver was very quick to shoot, despite having other options for staying safe. He didn't even have time to process the threatening comment, his mind was already made up.

not something that will get tested in a court of law either going by the response from the cop in that interview

not something that will get tested in a court of law either going by the response from the cop in that interview
I hope not, but the fact that he "had just completed training to be a police officer" might raise a few eyebrows and get it escalated to a higher (more political) level for the actual decision.

the Uber driver was very quick to shoot, despite having other options for staying safe. He didn't even have time to process the threatening comment,

He might have an adrenaline boost from the hard breaking and maybe the passenger told that her boyfriend SMS will "beat the F out of him", so its easy to sit back safely and analyze what happen.
We know here in USA, it can be a good chance of someone can be armed, like it or not like it.

I do feel sorry, that Uber driver maybe has to live the rest of his live, with the though that he might could have done something different.

He might have an adrenaline boost from the hard breaking and maybe the passenger told that her boyfriend SMS will "beat the F out of him", so its easy to sit back safely and analyze what happen.

the girlfriend wasn't in the car, she may have relayed the message to the girl that was though

Polk County in central Florida is a pretty conservative, used be to 'redneck', part of the State. Orlando and Tampa sprawl and commuting population probably diluted that a bit. (worked out of there in the 80's)

The uber driver could have done other stuff, but it appears he met the requirements to do what he did. Bye Bye aggressive turd boy!

I do feel sorry, that Uber driver maybe has to live the rest of his live, with the though that he might could have done something different.

Might have lost his chance to become a cop too. Would take a brave person to approve taking on "that guy who got trigger - happy before he even got his badge."

Would take a brave person to approve taking on "that guy who got trigger - happy before he even got his badge."

We got lot of brave people here. Well we might not agree to what brave is.
I think lot will say ok other will hesitate with it.

I know something of how Florida police and their legal system operate, which is why it is one of two States which I will never step foot into again. The Uber driver would have done better to have done differently, but what they did was legal and at least somewhat proper. Nobody, including the Police, should ever take a life unless that is the only good solution to the problem. In high-stress situations not all the possibilities will be clearly seen, but the Uber driver had to know that the creep in the truck had intentionally stopped him without any apparent reason, and that was a clear sign that trouble was imminent and avoiding that might be a wise choice. He could have tried backing up or turning around but he didn't, nor was he required to by law. This is where "stand your ground" laws become questionable as at least an attempt to avoid the imminent problem should be taken. The creep in the truck would have probably followed them and tried to stop the car again, but at least an attempt to end it peacefully would have been made and it might have worked. The Uber driver could have pulled and aimed his gun without firing until the creep made any more aggressive actions, but he didn't try that- he shot without allowing any chance for a peaceful resolution to emerge. Laws such as this need to have a "reasonable attempt to avoid before shooting" wording in them. This is what happens when such a requirement is lacking.

What I find worst here is that the Police training the Uber driver had did nothing to save life, but instead was instrumental in causing the loss of it. Police today view everyone not in a Police uniform as a potentially deadly adversary, when the truth is that this describes only a very tiny segment of the population. Their position of not being able to tell one kind from the other is clearly just a BS excuse for them not wanting to deal with the fact that Police work is a dangerous business and there is no way to avoid that danger or to even lessen it without causing other equally bad or worse problems to take place. I have to agree with those here who are concerned that this person may actually become a Cop. It is very clear that this Uber driver is unfit for duty as someone being tasked with protecting and saving other people's lives. But it will happen, mark my words, that this guy will soon be given a badge and a uniform to be set loose among us with the same attitude we have already seen from him. May none of us ever encounter him when that happens. I lament what has become of my once beloved Country and the inherent goodness that once prevailed here.

Yes, the creep in the truck needed to be stopped from doing harm, but maybe it wasn't necessary for him to die to make that happen, which is something we can never know now.

Phil

In any case, that dash cam paid for itself a thousand times over.

I've thought many times about wearing a body cam full time, just in case of extreme situations like this. Just waiting for the right product. Could be the next big thing.

Good shot! Better than most cops.

That was what i noticed too, just 1 shot, i was expecting 2 or 3 center mass.
This are a bit weird for a Dane as stand your ground here normally mean your face get rearranged or worse while you are on hold with the police, but i can easy relate to it and so after all its not that weird to me after all.

And the policeman's comments did put a big smile on my face.
We have some TV programs here about everyday heroes, and its just paramedics and so on doing their job, absolutely nothing heroic in that, at least not most times.
But no doubt a American cop need bigger balls than his Danish counterpart, and here its just a few bad people that have weapons, and pretty much not anything in between, and surely no good guys with guns aside for the police and armed forces.

And Danish cops might have been on a course in the US none the less, when i got pulled over last year as the first cop exit his car and pass behind my car to get to the driver side, you can see him readying his gun.
I cant even remember when a cop was last shot doing his job, but one was gunned down a few years ago leaving job on the parking lot, but that was a psycho on foot with a .22 ( the little ruger probably ) stolen from a gun club ( just walked out the door with it )

Last edited:
The Uber guy is 38. I'm not sure what his prospects were for getting into a police department were, anyway? (Except a small, rural department)

I'm not sure how the 'pay your own way to the academy' system works? It didn't exist when I was younger, and working in related fields. You didn't get to go to an actual academy unless you were hired and sponsored by a department.

Back