The most reliable dashcam - not looking for cheap

Phoenix1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been on this forum for a couple of years. My current dashcam is / was a Blackvu 500. I had it installed during two accidents. Both were 100% not my fault. In the first accident, I was lightly rear-ended, and with the video, the other driver's insurance company didn't even discuss it with me, they just sent a check. In the second accident, I was more seriously rear-ended, and my car was totalled, and my dashcam failed so no video! I expect to get full payment for my car, but I'm unhappy about the failure of the cam.

What should I get?

In order, the most important features for me are:
  1. Reliability
  2. Reliability
  3. GPS
  4. No screen - I don't need to see a screen as I'm driving
  5. Wifi is not needed
  6. Reliability
I don't care about price, except I will not buy anything under $100, and would prefer something over $200.

What are the suggestions?

Thanks

..........In the second accident, I was more seriously rear-ended, and my car was totalled, and my dashcam failed so no video! .......

When you say 'dashcam failed' can you be more specific?

When you say 'dashcam failed' can you be more specific?

It stopped recording 3 weeks ago. It didn't give me any kind of audible alert like, "hey, I'm not recording anymore". Power was on, LEDs were on, but it wasn't recording. If the LEDs are on and it's not recording due to some problem, it should audio alert me saying, "please check your dashcam". I know I should ideally check it once a week, but who does that?

Minus the GPS, it's the Mobius for the win. The only camera that I know of that has been around so long and still is popular and reliable. Mines been going almost two years without issue. I think others would agree, it's one of the most reliable cameras out there and has been constantly improved and updated to keep it current.

Unfortunately it's under $100, so it's not on your list. You could add a capacitor kit and accessories to make it more expensive, ha ha ha

Did you happen to try a different SD card in the current dash cam you have? Just can't help but wonder.

I've been on this forum for a couple of years. My current dashcam is / was a Blackvu 500. I had it installed during two accidents. Both were 100% not my fault. In the first accident, I was lightly rear-ended, and with the video, the other driver's insurance company didn't even discuss it with me, they just sent a check. In the second accident, I was more seriously rear-ended, and my car was totalled, and my dashcam failed so no video! I expect to get full payment for my car, but I'm unhappy about the failure of the cam.

What should I get?

In order, the most important features for me are:
  1. Reliability
  2. Reliability
  3. GPS
  4. No screen - I don't need to see a screen as I'm driving
  5. Wifi is not needed
  6. Reliability
I don't care about price, except I will not buy anything under $100, and would prefer something over $200.

What are the suggestions?

Thanks

Is there any preference on form-factor ?

Did you happen to try a different SD card in the current dash cam you have? Just can't help but wonder.

I once had a bad micro SD card which caused the cam to appear to be functioning but nothing was being recorded (powered up, recording light flashed etc).

I tried the micro SD card in another cam and got the same result. A new micro SD card fixed the problem.

It's not just the cameras which can go wrong - it can be the hardware, software, micro SD memory card, power supply or simply me being a muppet and pressing a wrong button somewhere.

Minus the GPS, it's the Mobius for the win. The only camera that I know of that has been around so long and still is popular and reliable. Mines been going almost two years without issue. I think others would agree, it's one of the most reliable cameras out there and has been constantly improved and updated to keep it current.

Ok, which model is the current one?

Unfortunately it's under $100, so it's not on your list. You could add a capacitor kit and accessories to make it more expensive, ha ha ha

I really don't want something under $100. Come on, couldn't they spend a little more money to use higher quality components?

I could live without GPS maybe.

As for the microSD: it was a Transcend high-speed (10 or whatever), 64gb. I don't think it failed. But even if it did, the camera should have given a warning that it's not recording.

.... I know I should ideally check it once a week, but who does that?
Me, just one among many. :D

On a serious note (not that I wasn't serious about checking the function of all my cameras) it kind of sucks that you got rear-ended twice. :(

Me, just one among many.

I will try to start doing that! I will also take my DR500 out of my totalled car and install it in my new car with a new microSD, and I'll try to check it often.

On a serious note (not that I wasn't serious about checking the function of all my cameras) it kind of sucks that you got rear-ended twice. :(

Thank you. I am grateful for some things:
  • No one was injured
  • In both cases the drivers stopped and handled it in a polite, businesslike manner
  • In both cases, the drivers had insurance
  • My dashcam saved my a22 in the first case, and there was no discussion at all about who was at fault. They sent a check immediately.
  • In the second case, I think I'm ok because the other driver was in reverse, and my understanding is that whoever is in reverse is almost certainly considered to be at fault
  • And again, no one was injured
I'll soon have a new-to-me car! It will be cool to have a car that's ten years newer. It will not be cool to have payments (my other car was paid for long long ago). I also really do not want an aluminum body car, but that is the direction everything is going now. It's very annoying to save, say, $1,000 in gas costs over the life of the car, but now any little dent will cost $2,000 or more to repair. Again, that's why I need a super-reliable dashcam.

Ok, which model is the current one?
I really don't want something under $100. Come on, couldn't they spend a little more money to use higher quality components?
All are current, the only difference is the lenses. A is narrowest and best for a dash cam (my opinion) and reading plate numbers, while the C is the widest and has the best low light performance.

They could have spent more on things that didn't matter, yes. I think those of us who own it, agree they hit a sweet spot in price, performance and definite reliability, which is why it's lasted so long. As @Bungus mentioned, M2 is on its way and Tom Frank said there won't be any earth shattering upgrades. The developer is smart, he knows it needs to work well and last.

To me the only difference of buying the more expensive dash cams were it's features. I didn't need or want speed, GPS or a screen. For what it offers, the Mobius might be considered more expensive than other cameras in it's class with the same features...

It seems like somebody is doing the "self-promo dance" a lot lately :eek: On topic, the Mobius is a high quality reliable unit, but one made without 'flashy' features some other cam's have. They can sell it for less because they're not paying for a flashy website, advertising, useless chrome plating, worthless built-in LED's for illumination, or questionable features like wifi data transfer. It's just a solid, basic, tiny, versatile dash/action cam and one heck of a bargain.

Phil

I'd be worried not having a screen. How would you know if everything was recording.

There are dash cams where the screen only comes on during power up... and thereafter goes off...with a blinking LED indicating its recording. For whatever reason, I regard that as an indication that things are indeed recording.

I'd be worried not having a screen. How would you know if everything was recording.

There are dash cams where the screen only comes on during power up... and thereafter goes off...with a blinking LED indicating its recording. For whatever reason, I regard that as an indication that things are indeed recording.

That's my initial worry too when I decide to buy a Mobius. No screen how to aim, how to do setup and most important how to see recording. After reading here and Tom Frank's RC forum it's the simplest thing to do with PC and my Nexus 5 smart phone with Therau's app and OTG cable.
Other than a few non starts last winter when weather was very very cold. (Have to unplug and plug back for it to work)
Have been playing around with settings every few days just for the heck of it.
If you see the "where you install" thread, most are mounted behind rear view mirror to hide it so screens not important.

...For whatever reason, I regard that as an indication that things are indeed recording.

Sorry but winking LEDs, beeps, illuminated screens, etc don't prove that video is being recorded to the memory card.

We regularly see posts from people who've just had an accident. On checking the card, nothing's been recorded in the past few weeks or months, despite the fact that the dashcam had been winking & beeping as usual.

The only way to be sure that a dashcam is recording to card is to check the video clips regularly ... weekly if not daily.

You guys are probably right. But who really has the time to be checking on their dash cam every few days ?

The result is I'm going to consider putting 3 dash cams in my car!

Two up front (one being a backup in case the other does not function)
One in the rear (set to a "parking mode" with G-force detection & recording of a collision).

How long before I need two more dash cams on the side!

Pretty soon I'll have more cameras in my vehicle than the local TV station.

But who really has the time to be checking on their dash cam every few days ?

I check mine weekly. Doesn't take long. Look at the clips with small file sizes ... the clips being recorded when external power is cut. If they're ok then all is well.

You guys are probably right. But who really has the time to be checking on their dash cam every few days ?

You don't have to. Like you I'm a newbie and I find this interesting. Just to make sure it's recording, learn, see some stupid drivers etc. Maybe when the novelty fades I'll just leave it. But I'm eyeing a SG in the near future, as soon as our exchange rate gets better. Guess I'm addicted now.

Back