The new 808 #18 DR32 Car Camera

Last edited by a moderator:
Swap out the bigger mount for something smaller and it seems to be a rather nice camera, considering that it records in 12 Mbps VBR (looking at the live bitrate, it's between 10 and 15 Mbps).
Video artifacts are really hard to notice, so the video processor seems to be doing it's job really well.
This is the first camera that I'm really thinking of getting for myself for a replacement for my current F500LHD (which I might just sell for someone, a co-worker for example).

Wow I am impressed with the picture quality!
The mount is really bad but the picture is one of the best I've seem so far specially in low light situations.

I've found this night video as well, impressive!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlutuczljcI

There are downsides though this camera does not have a battery so if for some reason you lose power it stops and that would not be nice on an accident when you most need the camera on!

Seems like this camera has quite decent picture quality. The 12Mbps bit rate is good. The style is similar to many of the Taiwanese cameras (square shaped) and the mount puts the camera too low on the windshield. Could be a good choice with a different mount.

A comment on Techmoan suggested a mount like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110834014198
There might also be other smaller ones.

Edit: anyway, I ordered it, so I'll see what the mount is really like when I get it.

DashCamMan said:
Seems like this camera has quite decent picture quality. The 12Mbps bit rate is good. The style is similar to many of the Taiwanese cameras (square shaped) and the mount puts the camera too low on the windshield. Could be a good choice with a different mount.
Yes, this DVR is from Taiwan, now it is available buy from china.
For the storage capacity, please check below image:

dr32_storage_capacity.jpg

Video Media Info:

rd32_car_dash_media_info.jpg

I got some video from manufacture, will update to youtube soon.

Mikk36 said:
Edit: anyway, I ordered it, so I'll see what the mount is really like when I get it.

good stuff, let us know how you get on!

Night video:

This one looks promising and I'm tempted to click the buy button. I was looking at the HDW001 until the GPS version disappeared.

I have a couple of questions. I read the manual and this one doesn't seem to have motion detection. I would've wanted to use it while the car's parked. Can somebody confirm that it doesn't have the feature?

My second question is: How does the camera manage to write the last file and maintain the date and time once you turn the engine off, when the camera obviously doesn't have a battery? Thank you!

Swordfish said:
This one looks promising and I'm tempted to click the buy button. I was looking at the HDW001 until the GPS version disappeared.

I have a couple of questions. I read the manual and this one doesn't seem to have motion detection. I would've wanted to use it while the car's parked. Can somebody confirm that it doesn't have the feature?

My second question is: How does the camera manage to write the last file and maintain the date and time once you turn the engine off, when the camera obviously doesn't have a battery? Thank you!

I'm guessing it uses a capacitor for file save at power off, you have to remember that this is a very basic camera with decent video performance, it is not feature packed

jokiin said:
I'm guessing it uses a capacitor for file save at power off, you have to remember that this is a very basic camera with decent video performance, it is not feature packed

Too bad. It would have been complete with a motion-detection feature. Thanks.

Swordfish said:
jokiin said:

Too bad. It would have been complete with a motion-detection feature. Thanks.
We confirmed with the manufacture, it has motion-detection feature. We will get a sample soon for test.

billknow said:
We confirmed with the manufacture, it has motion-detection feature. We will get a sample soon for test.

That's good news if it's true. Thank you.

jokiin said:
Swordfish said:
I talked with HDW001 manufacture, they told me the HDW001 will be stopped production soon, and a new model will be released.
They don't sell by retail, so it is not easy get from them.

jokiin said:
Swordfish said:

That was also my first guess immediately when I saw the video about it saying that it doesn't have an internal battery. It's an obvious choice, because it's still basically a battery, just a smaller one and doesn't wear out as quickly (well, it takes a lot longer to wear out a capacitor).

Swordfish said:
billknow said:

Sorry, I think i get the wrong information before, checked with the manufacture again, they told me no motion-detection feature.
And I noticed somebody talked about the battery. The info about the battery I get is that it can only use for emergency.
It can not record video with the built-in battery.

billknow said:
Swordfish said:
billknow said:

Sorry, I think i get the wrong information before, checked with the manufacture again, they told me no motion-detection feature.
And I noticed somebody talked about the battery. The info about the battery I get is that it can only use for emergency.
It can not record video with the built-in battery.

Oh well. Time to look for the EHD6*. Thanks.

Back