The new 808 #18 DR32 Car Camera

Interesting, two conflicting ideas on how to correct the problem. One advising more sky in view and one advising less !?
Thanks for the ideas but I would like to find a holder that would place the camera closer to the windscreen and then lower the view.

I drive a Peugeot 307 which has quite a steep screen and the distance from lens to screen is not ideal.

Gazza said:
Interesting, two conflicting ideas on how to correct the problem. One advising more sky in view and one advising less !?
Thanks for the ideas but I would like to find a holder that would place the camera closer to the windscreen and then lower the view.

I drive a Peugeot 307 which has quite a steep screen and the distance from lens to screen is not ideal.

I come from a photography background. The easiest analogy is taking a picture of a person at sunset (with the sun in the background). Unless exposed properly the person will be in shadow or the sky will be overexposed. At twilight you have the same problem where there is a large difference in brightness between the road and sky. To expose the road section properly, you want more of it to fill the frame.

The Auto EV program does have a backlight compensation built in, but it's not that effective, if most of the image is sky.

If you point toward the ground, it will expose for the ground. If you point it to the sky, it will try to expose for the sky.

If you want to be able to make out the road and vehicles, point your camera down so more of the view is filled with road. The sky will wash out but that isn't our main focus.

irononreverse said:
If you want to be able to make out the road and vehicles, point your camera down so more of the view is filled with road. The sky will wash out but that isn't our main focus.

Another reason why we need the front cam to be 'remote' & small form factor - get it as high in the screen as possible so it can point down.

New firmware.
Does anybody know about this?
email answer from Hetai.
"Dear,yes,you are right, the new DR32 camera all come with the videoflip 180 degrees."

Mine is without it with firmware from this spring,downloaded from this forum.

Is there a newer firmware present to download?

About the video flip 180 degrees, please see below images.

Attachments

• dr32_video_flipping.jpg
    dr32_video_flipping.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 155
Mikk36 said:
Sonique said:
Are you sure about the fact, that behind every seller on ebay there is the Hetai company?
The ones that I listed are Hetai for sure.

That's strange because I got mine from powerdigital.
when I mentioned about the user putting in a new mic & everything worked fine - I asked if they would send a new mic out to those with problems & powerdigital wanted me to send a pic of the mic & also pics of how to take the unit apart. Never did get the offer of a new mic either.

Sonique said:
Are you sure about the fact, that behind every seller on ebay there is the Hetai company?

My cam isn't working. After i received the camera i immediatly tried to update the firmware, which resulted in the cam shutting down after 1 second. I tried everything, resetting, formatting the sd-card on my computer, nothing worked.

So i contacted the seller, hxelpro360, which replied that i could send the camera back so they can check it and i would get a replacement.

My concern is, should i send the camera back and wait for another one to arrive (about 5 weeks?) or should i try to get a refund, and buy the now more expensive camera again. When it really is the Hetai company behind these sellers, maybe i won't be the fool after all. Maybe someone already had similar problems that led to a replacement?

regards

thanks for the answers regarding my question.

i wanted to let you all know that it worked out perfectly.
After like 6 Weeks i just thought my money or cam went down the river and i have to get another Dashcam, just 1 day later i received an email from "my" seller, he asked about my address again. I got the little parcel just last week. Tried the cam a few minutes ago... works like a charm.
Cant wait to put it in my car, and how it will fit behind the rearview mirror.

One thing i just noticed again, the camera won't work (for testing) if you put it on the USB port of a computer. I already was like "wtf? again not working?", then i tried the power adaptor of my Iphone, Using the USB-MicroUSB Cable from my PS3... Yay it works! :D

regards

Sonique said:
One thing i just noticed again, the camera won't work (for testing) if you put it on the USB port of a computer. I already was like "wtf? again not working?", then i tried the power adaptor of my Iphone, Using the USB-MicroUSB Cable from my PS3... Yay it works! :D
I had that same surprise with my DR32 when I connected it to a USB port on my iMac and it would not work.

I'm very pleased with my DR32 and it fits perfectly behind the rearview mirror. I did have to replace the power adapter because it interfered with the fm radio in the car, so I built my own with shielded cable. Enjoy your dash cam!

super max said:
I had that same surprise with my DR32 when I connected it to a USB port on my iMac and it would not work.

I'm surprised that you were surprised. The reason it does not work attached to a computer is that it goes into USB mass storage mode.

Re: The new Car Camera

808 #18 DR32 seemed like a good deal at $99 months ago but it's jacked up to $140 now

Is there a new model in the works with GPS?

Is the HDMI out full sized HDMI or mini-HDMI?

This demo shows the Auto Exposure control does jump up and down between bright/dim lights. (at twilight)
http://youtu.be/P-dfvPX0dOs?t=12m32s
Was it ever fixed in firmware ? The custom blackview 500 firwmare Mio created fixed AEC pretty well. (Auto Exposure Control) I'm hoping it was fixed for the DR32 as well. (see example above)

I'm tempted with this camera, but really want GPS! Since this camera is no longer sub $100 I might as well find a full featured camera to be 100% happy.

the DR32 was recommended in the SmartCar forums:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums ... ost21.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The new Car Camera

JazJon said:
Is the HDMI out full sized HDMI or mini-HDMI?

I don't have anything HDMI so don't know what full-sized looks like. However, a ruler across the socket shows you would need a plug of approximately 10mm long x 2mm wide and maybe 5 or 6mm deep.
Hope that helps.

Guys - i have my DR32 hardwired into my car, and have permanently turned it on thinking that it would constantly record overwriting over older files *unless they were locked*.

Well after 24 hours of recording, i took the SD card and put it onto my computer expecting to see the last 6 hrs of recording but instead i got the first 6 hours of recording 20 odd files in 5 minute intervals.

My impression was that it would constantly record overwriting old files - is there a setting i should be reviewing? (Could it be because the lock file is low sensitivity - rather then being turned off completely?0

depends what the option is called but there's often a recycle or loop setting in the menu that can be turned off, need to make sure this is on otherwsie it would only record until the card was full

Hmmm i don't see any loop option under the settings

Back