The new John Deeres are in!!!!

Where is the video? They are no fun if they are not in steam!

It's a while since I videoed any steam tractors, and I'd forgotten how good the Git1 sound is when you get it right, and turn the volume up with some big speakers:

(Had to find some 'Russell' videos...
:)

Things are smaller over here in the old country.

^^^ I hope that is a replica or scale model?

^^^ I hope that is a replica or scale model?
That is quite a useful size for powering small equipment as a stationary engine which is easy to move around, there are a lot of them about here. Smaller than that and they are hard to keep running.

I actually just missed this train, yesterday. I was entering Utah on I-80, west, noticed traffic eastbound was backed up, moving like half speed. I must have already passed the train, or it was behind some hills, or something. Then I started noticing a lot of cars and RVS along the railroad tracks, and some people taking down folding chairs and tripods. I figured there was some train leaving Utah after the 150th Anniversary of the Golden Spike event a few days ago.

I missed seeing BIG BOY!

The 4-8-8-4 of the big boy are nice, one up my 2-6-6-2 Baldwin

The big boy also come in my scale of trains, but thats not a cheap experience, so with a lotto win i know what i would do with my garden for sure.

If i get to go to the states i am so going to ride all the steam trains i can.

Last edited:
I missed seeing BIG BOY!

I was wondering how they got the coal to burn so black, but I see that it has been converted to run on fuel oil - that is not going to smell like a proper steam train! The smell is part of the experience.

I see our brand new big steem engine is on it's wheels:

09241803-2007-outside-DLW-MG.jpg

But it would take 3 of those to match the power of your Big Boy!

But of course if we need more than 1, we just use more than 1 - filmed with my Viofo A129 last autumn:

The strongest steam loco here was the so called "litra N" or in Germany the BR 50 / 52
None of these drive / exist here in Denmark today.

The strongest steam loco here was the so called "litra N" or in Germany the BR 50 / 52
None of these drive / exist here in Denmark today.
Lots of power, but no good for todays railways with a maximum speed of 50mph.

no.
The worked great for hauling tonnes of equipment and men east, and go back empty aside for wounded men, after WW2 there was a great rush to get working equipment back out of Germany,,,, and i assume it wasent much.
Frics a company in my birth town ( long gone now ) made parts for the German trains, and also build some of their own.
Already at WW2 Frics was making the self contained MO diesel locos, so here at the time steam was on the out at least in regard to transporting people.
mo-1880-med-tog-til-svendborg-og-mo-1882-med-tog-til-assens-under-udkc3b8rsel-fra-odense-1965-hgc.jpg

Some of the last stuff Frics made was the MH locos for shunting stuff around, i worked a bit on those and other smaller shunters at the and of my apprenticeship at the Danish railroads.

no.
The worked great for hauling tonnes of equipment and men...
The problem with steam trains is that they have no gears, you can either have small wheels giving powerful and slow, or big wheels giving fast and poor acceleration, but not both in the same locomotive.

This video from a few years ago shows what happens when one of our most powerful engines tries to climb out of my local station, first part of the hill is fine, but as it approaches the top and has slowed to about 30 rpm there is no power, back when steam engines were common it would have been helped up the hill by a small low geared engine running flat out), but these days the only other steam engine licensed to run on the mainline was another big engine with big wheels (high gearing), they very nearly stalled not because of lack of power but because of lack of gears, or maybe they were being greedy with the number of coaches, these days that number would require 4 diesel units rather than the 1 steam loco with a bit of help for the hill. 1 in 37 is steep for a railway, 2nd steepest hill in the UK:

Yeah and more or less high or low pressure cylinders or both.
And funny ones like the shay & climax work horses.

I like a 3 truck shay for my loggin RR on the garden.

And i would tale a couple of Climaxes too.

Also have this oldie sitting idle outside a School in a town called LangAa

It is actually a Polish made loko it was gifted from Poland to the technical school in LangAå in 1993 by their friendship town in Poland
It is made in Chrzanów Poland in 1953 had a top speed around 100 km/h and have a service weight of 125 tonnes
Fastest steamer ever here topped out at 110 km/h.

Fastest steamer ever here topped out at 110 km/h.
I guess they don't need to go so fast in Denmark since there is not so far to go from one end of the country to the other. The UK holds the steam train world speed record of 203Km/h achieved by the locomotive Mallard in 1938.

I filmed her sister, Osprey last summer passing by my house, also at 203Km/h after I speeded the video up a little:

steaming.
Riding on the L&N,,,, thats London to Newcastle, one of the big lines in UK rail history, and many big trains driven there.

Big Big Train - East Coast Racer

Back