the "other cameras and general photography / videography" thread

abarth

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SGZC12RC░░ mini0805░░ viofoA119░░B1W
I know there are others here that are interested in other aspects of cameras since I see mention of ISO, WB, aperture, focal length, FOV and other technical junk.

show us your gear and what you produce from them!

here's my favorite sony exmor sensored camera, A7:
Untitled by nestor panelo, on Flickr

and it's little brother that I occasionally shoot with:
by nestor panelo, on Flickr

I use a Nikon D5200 that do allright for my needs.

But i wish i had surplus money to by "bigger" one and a small collection of lenses + a good tripod.
Funny thing is i dont seem to have the time for shooting any more, when i was young 100 - 200 B&W pics was no problem every week, and god know how many hours in the dark chamber.
Allso this little country lack nice stuff to shoot ( nature ) :rolleyes:
If i was to do my American adventure i would need serious backup storage for my pics and vids :) i would speak the international click-click language a lot over there :D ( no not the bushman language )

Allso have a multutude of SLR and box cameras in long time storage, though much mony is tied up in those i dont think i could sell them to finance better Dslr gear.
So maybe my nephew or his sisters can sell them when for some good money when they get old in 30-40 years time.

I buy up a whole bunch of those old, manual focus lenses. I find today's lenses extremely sharp but have way too much contrast in even the flattest of image profiles. and nothing beats actually interacting with focus rings and aperture rings to get that image right. :)

alpha 7 by nestor panelo, on Flickr

2012.02.12 by nestor panelo, on Flickr

there's a lot of life in these lenses that are older than me.

I have tried some old Nikon lenses on my Dslr, but i seem to suck at focussing with them, i need glasses bad or lasers to fix me up.

there has to be more camera geeks out here, right? ;)

anyway, here's some new stuff that i captured along the way when i went to the grand canyon via palm springs. beautiful scenery all around for sure.

palm springs by nestor panelo, on Flickr

indio by nestor panelo, on Flickr

mount san jacinto by nestor panelo, on Flickr

south rim by nestor panelo, on Flickr

navajo point by nestor panelo, on Flickr

arizona 64 by nestor panelo, on Flickr

Cool thread! I started off with a Nikon D50 & used that for about 3yrs & then upgraded to a Nikon D90. I ended up picking up a second used D90 body that was near mint with low shutter activations for a back up from KEH. It's time to upgrade but it all still works fine for me right now & I only do a little side work so it doesn't justify dropping a lot of money on new bodies. I'd like to get the D7200 body. Here's my current gear list & some pics below. Thanks for making this thread & nice Abarth

2 - Nikon D90 bodies
1 - MB-D80 vertical battery grip
1 - Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens
1 - Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 lens
1 - Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR lens
1 - SB-900 speedlight

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Here are some more. Sadly, I don't shoot as much as I once did. I guess it's due to the lack of time to process & the convenience of an iPhone. I can do much creative things with a DSLR but for the normal everyday use the iPhone is ok I suppose. Night photography is my passion. I based my decision on my dash cam on its night performance.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Dave

I guess 7 attachments are the limit lol Here are the last ones for now.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Dave

hey, that bay bridge shot makes me think we live close! i'm a fan of (your?) evo. where is that car show? that P1 is my dream car.

i love me some KEH. that's where i purchased probably half of my legacy lenses.

i also had that tamron 17-50/2.8 but in canon EF mount. pretty good lens for the money.

Are you in the Bay Area? I live in the East Bay. The car show was the Blackhawk Plaza in Danville. It's the Cars & Coffee. This car show was huge as Wayne Carini from Chasing Classic Cars was there. Unfortunately I don't currently own an Evo at the moment. I would've loved to keep my second one as it was "the one". I would like to get another Evo IX though.

Dave

sweet. i'm on the peninsula. the GF and i have been wanting to go to the black hawk C&C. will have to do it next month for sure.

it's funny, i have a few shots that mirror the ones you've put up. :)

IMG_2529 by nestor panelo, on Flickr

Snapseed-82 by nestor panelo, on Flickr

and while not quite on the rocks, here's an old picture of my old VR6 on treasure island with the same background:
CRW_6392 by nestor panelo, on Flickr

and i know i have a very similar shot from pier 39 sitting on my hard drive somewhere.

Sweet! Those VR6's sound really nice. The Blackhawk show is pretty good. There were hundreds of cars at this show. All of the parking around the entire parking lot was completely full. The Cars & Coffee that I want to check us out is at Canepa in Scotts Valley. The shop is one of the only places in the country that works on Porsche 959's!

image.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
It's unfortunate what happened to my 2nd Evo after I traded it for a Galant Ralliart. I was on Google & decided to run the Vin number to see if it came back up for sale or something as I found 2 past cars this way. Needless to say I was horrified The normal pics are when I when I was getting ready to put it on the market & the other pics are its current state as of a few months back. I could've bought it back for an opening bid of $500

https://davelc2.smugmug.com/Other/RIP-To-My-Old-Mitsubishi/

Dave

Blackhawk Plaza? Isn't it where the coolest car museum on the planet is?

As to cameras I just bought my second Pentax DSLR: K-S2.
Previously I bought Pentax K-30 but didn't manage to make a single shot with it - my kid have deciced that the camera is too cool for the old people and took it to uni.
As a result all my photos are taken with ageing (7 y/o) Panasonic FZ38.

Some pics from Blackhawk:
hispano-suiza-1924-tulipwood-torpedo.jpg

cadillac-1937-hartmann-cabriolet.jpg

ferrari-1956-le-mans-touring.jpg

Nice! I worked for the Blackhawk Homeowners Association for 16yrs (still shoot for them on a part time basis) & I got to see some pretty cool cars & meet some really nice people over the years. I have actually only been on a tour of the museum once several years ago. Maybe like 10 or 12 yrs ago. I've been meaning to get back there to shoot some of the cars inside now that I have gotten into photography. I've been into cars since I was learning to walk lol

Dave

I wish I could go and visit the museum again but sadly I have stopped working for Tesla and therefore not flying to California that often now. :(

there has to be more camera geeks out here, right? ;)

anyway, here's some new stuff that i captured along the way when i went to the grand canyon via palm springs. beautiful scenery all around for sure.

mount san jacinto by nestor panelo, on Flickr

arizona 64 by nestor panelo, on Flickr

Absolute gold...beautiful images....

Tesla is a pretty cool ride. I have to tip my imaginary hat to Elon Musk. Tesla has built great car. A tad bit out of my price range lol I live about 15 miles away from Tesla & they're everywhere. That video of saving the day from what could have been a serious crash was pretty amazing. I believe there's a thread on it. Here's the video though.

Dave

Agree! Teslas are great. When I was working on it I had to drive it frequently. Two things were annoying:
1. I couldn't take it to test track
2. Bloody papparazzis! (that was in the days when the car wasn't officially released and I test drove engineering prototype)

Ah, those were the days!

Back