The OWL Cam - developed by engineers from Apple, Drop Cam and Microsoft

Most every security camera system I'm familar with records to local storage whether it sends out alerts or not, especially my CCTV systems. Even the little IP camera I bought recently that sends motion and sound detector triggered alerts and records them to it's own proprietary cloud service has onboard full time microSD storage. Sounds like you need a different system.

They do need a better system but people in low crime araeas
Most every security camera system I'm familar with records to local storage whether it sends out alerts or not, especially my CCTV systems. Even the little IP camera I bought recently that sends motion and sound detector triggered alerts and records them to it's own proprietary cloud service has onboard full time microSD storage. Sounds like you need a different system.

Well the system I'm talking about is a low tech local storage one, and it stores that 30 minutes locally

They do need a better system but people in low crime araeas

Well the system I'm talking about is a low tech local storage one, and it stores that 30 minutes locally

I guess I was responding to your remark that, "The root of the problem is the exact same as the one with security camera system design-- The belief that you will be alerted and that's enough."

That seems to be a remark about security camera system design in general but now it sounds like you are speaking about a particular and unique system that perhaps you may own comparing it with the OWL cam or whomever "they" may be.

I guess I was responding to your remark that, "The root of the problem is the exact same as the one with security camera system design-- The belief that you will be alerted and that's enough."

That seems to be a remark about security camera system design in general but now it sounds like you are speaking about a particular and unique system that perhaps you may own comparing it with the OWL cam or whomever "they" may be.

No I'm saying that's the general thinking, that if something happens you will know, when in reality that's often not the case. For example there's a tire shop where one of the employees was stealing tires from the back for months, and when they found out they had to go back and look at very old footage that wouldn't exist on the typical cloud based system where marketers and engineers with no clue about security are convinced that a few days of retention is good enough

No I'm saying that's the general thinking, that if something happens you will know, when in reality that's often not the case. For example there's a tire shop where one of the employees was stealing tires from the back for months, and when they found out they had to go back and look at very old footage that wouldn't exist on the typical cloud based system where marketers and engineers with no clue about security are convinced that a few days of retention is good enough

Usually, places like tire shops, restaurants and retailers buy video storage for between 30 and 90 days. Many businesses use a combination of in house archiving and cloud storage depending upon their needs. Recently, I upgraded my CCTV system to a 2 terabyte hard drive and I can now store nearly six weeks of 24/7 footage locally from four cameras before anything gets overwritten. That's plenty for a one man business and more than that would be ridiculous. There do happen to be systems that can store thousands and thousands of hours of surveillance video in the cloud for anyone who wishes to pay for it but it is very unusual for average small businesses to store months and months of video because for most of them it is highly impractical, expensive and rarely needed. On a corporate level massive amounts of video can be archived permananently in data centers but average businesses like tire shops don't have such resources. If the tire shop didn't bother to check their inventory for many months or review their footage for an extended period of time or buy enough cloud storage, or take proper securty measures it's their own damn fault. It has nothing to do with "general thinking".

Exactly how many terabytes of how many months of multi-camera footage do you think would be practical for a typical small business to archive and pay for anyway?

BTW, back on topic, I've leaned that the OWL cam has 64GB of internal memory and 3GB of ram storage. I don't know how that actually translates into hours of locally recorded video. It also seems that they do indeed offer archiving of video beyond 24 hours but unfortunately they are vague in providing details of how the service works. The 24-hour storage of video and alerts they mention is from the last drive. I think what you get is 24 hours of video to review that disappears unless you save clips of it to the ten dollar per month LTE cloud storage.

owl2.jpg

Last edited:
As someone very new to the dash cam world . I got hit with a quick reality as soon as I purchased one. I purchased dash cams for my three young drivers in the house . Not more than 3 days of ownership ,someone smashed the side window of my sons car and took the camera and raided the glovebox. So why this looks to be a nice setup ,it screams "steal me" in plain site. Its great they will replace it but the side window cost almost as much as the camera. Ive since returned the cameras ,that did have a small screen on them and ordered the blueskysea. So far Ive heard decent reviews . After Ive done my research and have half a clue .I dont know why I ever considered a screen on the device. I myself believe the wifi option to be the safest bet going right now. I wish they would have a option where you could have a screen/control box that could be hidden in center consul or where ever for those that dont like to use the phone where you could plug in micro sized cameras in discreet locations from long cords .Just run the cords like you would the power cords we have now. Let all the electronics be hidden with a few cameras peeking out.

Perps were not on CAM on cloud storage ?

As someone very new to the dash cam world . I got hit with a quick reality as soon as I purchased one. I purchased dash cams for my three young drivers in the house . Not more than 3 days of ownership ,someone smashed the side window of my sons car and took the camera and raided the glovebox. So why this looks to be a nice setup ,it screams "steal me" in plain site. Its great they will replace it but the side window cost almost as much as the camera. Ive since returned the cameras ,that did have a small screen on them and ordered the blueskysea. So far Ive heard decent reviews . After Ive done my research and have half a clue .I dont know why I ever considered a screen on the device. I myself believe the wifi option to be the safest bet going right now. I wish they would have a option where you could have a screen/control box that could be hidden in center consul or where ever for those that dont like to use the phone where you could plug in micro sized cameras in discreet locations from long cords .Just run the cords like you would the power cords we have now. Let all the electronics be hidden with a few cameras peeking out.

Street Guardian offers a quality camera with a separate hide away control box/screen and a small, discrete remote lens on a cable. Check into the SGZ12RC Pro.

Street Guardian offers a quality camera with a separate hide away control box/screen and a small, discrete remote lens on a cable. Check into the SGZ12RC Pro.

appreciate the shout out but he'd probably struggle to find one of those now, was deleted a while ago, we are working on a dual channel remote lens model but probably still a few months away before it's for sale

appreciate the shout out but he'd probably struggle to find one of those now, was deleted a while ago, we are working on a dual channel remote lens model but probably still a few months away before it's for sale

Wasn't quite sure so I checked your web site before posting and saw that you still have the camera listed. Perhaps it's time to delete it?

sg.png

there is still probably a few pieces out there at the moment so not something we would want to delete just yet, it's down to what's still out there though, not something a dealer could order in for a customer as we're all out

I will have to keep my eye out for that. Its a real concern with a expensive camera sitting on a dash .So with parking mode to watch your car and they see the camera ,they will come from the rear or cover their faces till they take it. With a discreet camera system ,they will let their guard down and better chance of being seen. Cars that look clean and empty are usually the safest unless they are taking your car. I just think the stealth options are the best bet.

he'd probably struggle to find one of those now, was deleted a while ago

there is still probably a few pieces out there at the moment so not something we would want to delete just yet, it's down to what's still out there though, not something a dealer could order in for a customer as we're all out

If the camera was "deleted a while ago" as you say, and "we're all out", I'm not clear why you would continue to feature it on your web site but if that's what you choose to do then don't be surprised that someone might recommend it to a member who expresses a desire for just such a camera. I mean, you can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
If the camera was "deleted a while ago" as you say, and "we're all out", I'm not clear why you would continue to feature it on your web site but if that's what you choose to do then don't be surprised that someone might recommend it to a member who expresses a desire for just such a camera. I mean, you can't have it both ways.

some dealers still have them in stock, I'm not going to delete any reference to a product that someone still has on a shelf, if you went to the shop page of the site you'd see it's not listed there so it can't be purchased from us, but it still exists

I just sold the last one a few days ago. It’s too bad the Zoran chip factory went out of business or we could keep these going.

I just sold the last one a few days ago. It’s too bad the Zoran chip factory went out of business or we could keep these going.

we had the option of doing an updated solution and keeping it going but the housing is bigger than it needs to be due to the original design incorporating a radar detector, since we didn't use that it didn't really make sense to rework it, the two channel version we're doing will be much smaller

Back