The OWL Cam - developed by engineers from Apple, Drop Cam and Microsoft

SawMaster

Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, G1W-S, G1W-HC,, G1W clone, B1W
A dashcam's main function is to record good video and audio. The rest of the "gimmicks" are secondary for the majority of people.
I fully agree, but some folks just see things differently until they personally have an experience which shows them that their perspective wasn't the best one. I recall a conversation with a seller of Korean cams who said that in their home market, a lot of people bought dashcams based heavily on their form-factor and appearance o_O I too like a good looking cam, but if the video isn't usable what's the point in having it?

The Owl and Raven are OK but need to be better in the video department. I've noticed that dashcams built by 'techies' like these, Garmin, and Anker, are often lacking in something basic which is frequently video-related. They seem focused on their 'pet features' so tightly that they see nothing else :( Dashcams built by folks with a cam background are often the reverse, with good video but features which sometimes don't work well :rolleyes: It seems that both kinds just don't want to admit to and fix the problems and issues which they do not understand as well as their primary background. It's like that they fear their inadequacies :cautious: There is nothing wrong with being stupid about something as long as you correct that- everyone starts out from stupid, then rises from there ;)

It's rare indeed when a dashcam maker has a good handle on both of these aspects. We'd have a plethora of crazy-good cams if more manufacturers would understand the need to have everything working the best that is possible instead of only parts of that. In my mind, the highest level of stupid is those who can but won't admit to and fix their self-caused problems when it is within the realm of possible. Maybe we should call products like that "Ostrich Cams" :ROFLMAO:

Phil

Prospero

Country
United States
But this forum is not about "you", it's about sharing your experiences/impressions/tests so that others can make their own choices. A dashcam's main function is to record good video and audio. The rest of the "gimmicks" are secondary for the majority of people.
I thought I was sharing my experiences. I never said I like it so everyone should go out and buy one. Of course people should go out and do their own research.

abarth

Country
United States
Dash Cam
SGZC12RC░░ mini0805░░ viofoA119░░B1W
But this forum is not about "you", it's about sharing your experiences/impressions/tests so that others can make their own choices. A dashcam's main function is to record good video and audio. The rest of the "gimmicks" are secondary for the majority of people.
seems to me that he's sharing his experience and letting us know why he values his purchase. that's all a good thing for others to read as far as I'm concerned. and the "gimmicks" will likely become standard at some point if third-party dashcams remain a growing market. I like the owl but will not purchase it in it's current state but I do hope they keep developing it. I will consider a connected camera in the future so I like the direction that they're going.

DashOto

Retailer
Country
United States
I thought I was sharing my experiences. I never said I like it so everyone should go out and buy one. Of course people should go out and do their own research.

I'm sure the majority here appreciate your input, thank you.

kamkar1

Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
Lukas LK-7500G / Innovv C3 / mobius / G1W / SG9665GC & more
Indeed, glad some one took the plunge on this one too.