The OWL Cam - developed by engineers from Apple, Drop Cam and Microsoft

Too sad, it looks so dope.

I don't enjoy seeing anyone fail, but if their target was Dashcams, they clearly missed it. Looking more deeply into this, I think they were trying to give people what they wanted them to have instead of giving the people what the people want. With that kind of funding they could have had the best cams for every market segment they wanted to be a part of :(

Phil

Aaaa the Apple approach :giggle:

And Microsoft too :mad: It seems most "techies" somehow think that they know what you want more than you do, which of course is both impossible and unintelligent :eek: The only reason it works for Apple and Microsoft is that until Linux got big there were not really any other choices. And if Linux gets something closer to the other's user-interfaces which the average person finds as easy to use, then we might see those two 'biggies' following Owl cam right into the garbage can ;)

Phil

No cam beat this for monitoring a parked car (a lamborghini). It has a super bright green beacon that blinks 5 min after you leave your car. I've seen people walk up to the car and when they see that light blinking at night, they always walk away. That was a deterrent in itself. (currently the fad today is for kids to stand on the hood and take selfies or lay across it) I love this thing and the peace of mind I had is now gone.

59dd1f6e6708b1b9102990a910093f37.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah our societies are not getting any better, i mean who the hell would stand on another mans car or lie on it for that matter, just utterly disrespectful.
Mind you i have stood on and jumped on a few car hoods in my day, but all cars that did or very near did run me over in crosswalks, and i have also a few times gone all the way over the car when i miscalculated its speed / or ability to stop.
But i have never stood on another mans car for fun or what ever lame excuse people will use, cuz that's just sick.

Danish kids are no better ( distortion festival in Copenhagen )

Mind you some owners of really nice cars are also not nice, you have to be a selfish prik to strait pipe your already very loud sports car.

No cam beat this for monitoring a parked car (a lamborghini). It has a super bright green beacon that blinks 5 min after you leave your car. I've seen people walk up to the car and when they see that light blinking at night, they always walk away. That was a deterrent in itself. (currently the fad today is for kids to stand on the hood and take selfies or lay across it) I love this thing and the peace of mind I had is now gone.

As I mentioned, the Owl Cam was essentially a baby monitor for a car and I imagine a Lamborghini would certainly qualify as your "baby". The problem was that the Owl Cam really needed to be a much more capable actual dash cam for recording one's driving than it was. Dash cams costing a third of the price or less perform better for that primary dash camera function than the Owl. It's a shame they never brought it up to that level of video capture performance as such capabilities are routine and trivial these days and would have added little or nothing to the cost of the product.

And if Linux gets something closer to the other's user-interfaces which the average person finds as easy to use, then we might see those two 'biggies' following Owl cam right into the garbage can ;)

Highly functional and very easy to use Linux user-interfaces have been incorporated into tens of thousands of different devices and billions of products for at least a decade now.

The Android operating system based on the Linux kernel is in all kinds of smartphones and tablets. The Chrome operating system is also Linux based. Almost all smart TV GUIs are based on Linux. The touchscreen entertainment, control and navigation displays in all Tesla automobiles is based on Linux as well (Ubuntu, apparently). Many smaller, lesser known products such as CCTV DVRs and NVRs and various other gadgets use some form of Linux based GUI. Touch screen control panel interfaces on industrial equipment, manufacturing equipment, agricultural and mining equipment use Linux. The list goes on. So, Linux well crafted easy to use GUIs are pretty much everywhere.

The Linux GUI simply sits side by side with the "biggies". Nobody is going into any garbage can.

Linux is pretty amazing and is used in all kinds of remarkable systems these days. The onboard flight control system in the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket runs on Linux. The Mars rovers robotics run on Linux. For some things maybe Linux did put the biggies in the garbage. :)

Tesla touchscreen display.
tesla2.jpg

Tesla touchscreen and dashboard displays.
tesla3.jpg

Android variant
android2.jpg

Android GUI developer templates
android GUI.jpg

Linux based Smart TV GUI
smart_tv.jpg

John Deer harvester/tractor Linux cab display interfaces.
tractor_cab.jpg

Last edited:
And if Linux gets something closer to the other's user-interfaces which the average person finds as easy to use,
If you're interested Linux Mint comes as close as any distribution I've seen to that.

Mint is on my 'bucket list' and has been for awhile :cool: But Android is sufficiently different than Windows to require learning new techniques, so not any more attractive to the average user than Windows (unless perhaps you started with Android which many people now do because of phones becoming the biggest introductory computer device instead of laptops). I'm still trying to do some things with my tablet which are simple for Windows but frustrating on Android such as locating files and cards- it's a different architecture altogether. On top of that, as we see here all the time each new version of Android is sufficiently different as to need revision of programs to interface with dashcams; nothing is "standard" with that :mad: Haven't tried Chrome OS but I haven't seen any advantage to it over Android for my purposes, and it's user-base is small in comparison with the others.

And as seen here with the Owl, the disadvantage is that if the cam manufacturer/developer goes under or simply doesn't do anything (like JooVuu) then you're left with a still operational cam that you can no longer use because of the loss of support :eek: With Windows you do have at least some backward-compatibility with older programs, as well as more-or-less standard architecture across most of their OS's allowing an easier learning curve with upgrades to newer OS's.

Phil

Pretty much agree with all your points. For the 'average user' that just fires up a browser/word processor/spreadsheet pretty much any OS will work, regardless if they're coming from Windows or that 'other' OS* ;). For any who want to get in deeper it's pretty much mandatory to first have to learn the underlying architecture just to be able to get past the front door.

* (Note: Not trying to start a platform flame war here. I have a, some allege irrational, lifelong distaste for any 'fruit based' system or 'iThing' and nothing said here, or any forum, will change my mind - just ask my brother. :LOL:)

Last edited:
The OWL fiasco is just one of the recent devices that get pretty much bricked when the company goes out of business. Consumers are left with a worthless piece of plastic after the cloud is shut down.
This is why I will never buy an IOT device that I cannot control locally.

That is really wrong, since it states that it is a single device, when by definition it is a nebulous collection of storage and processing devices with no defined structure - something that does exist, but which can never be located.

Just laugh at the funny picture :ROFLMAO:

The cloud definition is marketing bollocks sometimes - there are plenty of supposed cloud services out there physically hosted on a single backend server.

i want cloud sneakers, kinda like that Greek god with the wings on his shoes,,,,,,,, fly baby.

Some of this newfangled stuff are more or less or totally stupid.
Cloud are a turn off word for me, at the same level as WIFI,,,,,,,,, wifi and cloud !!!! We don't need no stinking wifi and cloud.

75f4c090-f029-4b11-af1e-1a340a6370ac_screenshot.jpg

At least there is a notice on the front page.

Owlcam assets were recently acquired by Xirgo Technologies, a leading provider of industrial IoT technologies to fleets and enterprise partners.
Support for consumer Owlcam subscribers and new Owlcam purchases is temporarily suspended while the next steps are being determined.
We appreciate your patience and support during this period.
Please stay tuned to this page for further updates.

Back