the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

I like the new DJI FPV stuff, just wayy too expensive for my taste.

Indeed, but with the fat shark brand on it, i dont think it will be a lot cheaper.
The DJI also annoy me in the sense it seem to come with a transmitter too, and i dont need that, and i am only going to do FPV driving, quadcopters i only see myself using as a platform for a camera, racing them i would never do.

That's the funny part. Apparently the DJI video transmitter runs at something like 700mw. In racing the people running the race generally limit power output to 25mw to decrease interference so more people can race at the same time. Even only 200mw is enough to knock someone else out of the sky if the frequency is too close.

That said, fat shark's system does not require you to use their complete system. You don't need a new remote. At minimum you need their camera, vtx, and receiver/goggles. They also have a flight controller that has upgraded video handling so it can overlay your OSD from betaflight. Other FCs use analog SD video so wouldn't be able to add OSD. But you don't HAVE to have OSD, so the FC is optional.

That said, it probably won't be long before the Chinese clones start showing up. Obv that's both good and bad...

Last edited:
my illegal 900 mhz vtx are 2 w

Well, I've got a new scooter... again! :D
This time it's running stock on 60V and with two 1200W motors it just takes and instant to hit a top speed of 70+km/h

my hot glue camera mount loosened up after my 4th or 5th crash, but one zip tie around the bottom tightened it back up. here's some dvr footage of how "not good" i am at this... obviously it's not the same as in the simulator. sim doesn't have wind, and sim isn't perfect at replicating the power curve of the quad. it's a bit like learning to drive a car with fuel injection and a hydraulic clutch, and then getting in a different car with similar power but carbureted and a cable clutch. the concepts are the same, but it feels quite different.

had fun though, learned a ton from the experienced guys, and one of them even gave me some spare parts he had from his last upgrade, that will be a great start towards a newer build for me. i'll still have to buy motors, a frame, and a few other small parts, but that's still less than a complete build - the flight controller and 4-in-1 ESC he gave me is at least $60-80 worth of parts when purchased new. sure i have to clean up the old solder blobs from where he removed his equipment, but that's not so bad.

today i went to an actual race - not specifically catering to rookies. it was the Texas Qualifier course, which is much more technical. the pros were turning in times of about 15-20 seconds per lap. I think my best actual lap was about 1:20... yes, a minute longer than the pros. i crashed a lot, but honestly i did a LOT better than I expected to. I tried flying the course in the simulator the day before, but the quad in there has way more power than mine so i had a hard time controlling my speed. but in real life, once i got the hang of how it flies with this new stack (flight controller + 4-in-1 esc) and new props, i started getting nice and smooth... not perfect, but i was having fun for once. audio here is what i heard in the pits, not on the quad. i was recording using a windows tablet, and it defaulted to using the tablet's built-in mic.

flying the sim has DEFINITELY helped my actual flying skills. best $20 i've spent in this hobby! i mean just compare it to how poorly i flew in the previous video!

Last edited:
Danish nationals this year, can not link to video but have to link to local RC gallery.

hey! i changed the thread title to reflect the two "kinda-related?" subjects that we cover here. :geek:

i've put about 550 miles (885 Km) on this Aventon Pace 500. it can be unlocked to assist up to 32 MPH so it can cover a lot of distance relatively quickly.

500.jpeg

i would have never thought to mount a water bottle on the forks... course, i have full suspension on mine. nice looking bike.

there's no room in the triangle for it because of the battery. i see the touring guys mount it on their forks. i really like it. it feels more natural to reach there than below me when i'm riding. when i'm on my hard-tail MTB, that's when i usually use the camelbak.

On my last race bike i had a aerodynamic Campagnolo water bottle, that one could be fiddly to operate even if i was a pretty relaxed cyclist in 1989.

163711853611_1.jpg

There will be no more pushing pedals for this guy, on a E-bike i would be like 90% on the motor.

Well you will need more power, to keep up with the new 23 YO Danish world champion in PRO cycling.

VM2019_Herre_Elite_Linjelob_-_Mads_Pedersen_guld_verdensmester__653x352.png

The harsh conditions during the race might have played in the favor of the Danish riders, as weather here most days of the year are pretty miserable.

_109016680_gettyimages-1177843006.jpg

This gotta be fun too, right up until you put it in the ground.

Yeah. First time i have seen a jet being flown like that, but it seem just as nimble as other planes i have seen flown like that.
VTO cool too.

Man that is awesome (y) I imagine the operator is too :cool: Probably cost more than I make in 6 months though!

Phil

Lots of video on youtube ... ( Jets )
And yeah , lots of $$ .
Some really good video out of Germany .

Back