the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

i have an older version of one of those receivers. that's how i dvr stuff or show people what FPV is like when i don't have spare goggles. i'd like to get the USB-C cable from this one to see if it would work with my new pixel 2 xl and my current vrx, but they don't sell it separately - only the micro to micro cable... which i already have. course, i could easily use an old phone, but that's just one more thing to carry...

but the fact that this one works on a windows machine... hmm, maybe i could use my wife's asus transformer (windows laptop w/ detachable touchscreen), since it has a micro usb port...
Forgot to mention that I tried my older receiver on the Windows tablet and it works great! I think I'll start using that to DVR stuff since it's so much better than using a phone.

Using a Battery servo splitter to run all 4 servos independently ...

How's this for a frame with lots of space?

IMG_20181231_005139.jpg
With this setup, I can have my battery completely inside the frame, so it's protected in a crash, and has a lower center of gravity.

Battery strapped in, and vtx properly mounted (loosely, so it's less likely to take a direct hit):
IMG_20181231_011821.jpg

Now I just need to figure out why my receiver isn't talking to the flight controller. In chatting with some other quad folks, it sounds like my receiver might be outputting inverted sbus, and the FC is then inverting it again, so I will need to somehow turn off that inversion or use a different serial port (uart) that doesn't invert it. Would be nice to do it in software, but I haven't found a way yet, so unfortunately I have to take it apart again... :(

Yeah !
Quads ... Just got me a Emax Baby Hawk ...
Had to solder on a Rx ..
Literally the easiest quad that needs Betaflight programming ever to get in the air ..
No problems , no challenges , and flies fantastic ..

Yeah !
Quads ... Just got me a Emax Baby Hawk ...
Had to solder on a Rx ..
Literally the easiest quad that needs Betaflight programming ever to get in the air ..
No problems , no challenges , and flies fantastic ..

Dang, that thing has some serious punch for a little quad! And it's only 2s right?

OK so here's the full video review of the X7 Smart, I'm quite impressed by it's flying performance, lot's of speed, good GPS position hold, long and real advertised flight time as I have got 21 minutes out of 23 in under 0°C conditions! The camera is not great though and the "gimbal" is just a manual pitch servo. Still for this money it kind of beats the MJX Bugs series.

In depth bench review, app overview, etc.

Maiden test flight, camera footage, etc.

Dang, that thing has some serious punch for a little quad! And it's only 2s right?
Yes , 2s ...
And I am running a very budget 2s battery at that ..

I got myself 3 quads for Christmas ..
Emax Baby Hawk
DYS Elf
And a Walkera Rodeo 150
All be FPV ...

The Emax Baby Hawk was fully PAINLESS ...
I have just set up the DYS Elf , I had to get a driver to run Betaflight .. ( A minuscule amount of pain )
And then I will do the Rodeo 150

Been hearing lots of good things about the baby hawk. Sadly I have a radiolink at9 tx, which doesn't do all the spiffy things a taranis could like multi protocol or deviation or whatever... Sure I could buy a newer radio but it's not in the budget right now since we just had to replace my wife's car. ABS system took a dump, and that's astoundingly expensive on a 2008 Highlander hybrid, so we dumped the car as it was developing other issues too (though not the hybrid battery as you might expect!)

Wow ... Yeah , those car problems ....
Radiolink ? I was looking at that for a while ..
If you see a cheap Turnigy 9XR or 9XRpro
Then add a multi protocol module and OpenTx ....
Though the Taranis Q X7 is a sweet transmitter ..

Baby Hawk - Ooooh yeah !
Took the DYS Elf out and it's ok , not as good as the baby hawk .. ( Though it was very windy )
???

yeah the local fpv guys also said qx7. that said, this radiolink at9 is a very nice tx. gimbals feel nice, loads of options and tweaking in the menus, plenty of aux channels...

and i think i may have messed up my rx when i de-pinned it to make it smaller, because the new FC isn't talking to it no matter what i do. so i was looking at getting the qx7, but that's $100+ i don't really want to spend right now, so i think i'll just get a new rx instead. that's only $14.50 on amazon w/ free shipping, or $12 from banggood, but slow boat shipping that costs 2.50. gee, tough choice!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07FPCPJJ4
do you think i could put one of those little RX's in a baby hawk or is the rx integrated into the fc on it? it outputs sbus so in theory it shouldn't be a big deal.

Baby hawk needs a small Rx
I went with the FrSky XM ...

So I guess any Rx that takes the same voltage and has the same pin out

Here is my test of the The TXD-G1 which is a "toy grade" quadcopter with a very low price that is actually a great flyer for a beginner. It features WiFi FPV and with the built in camera you can take pictures and videos which will be saved directly on your phone. Last but not least in it's price range it will get almost the double flight time in comparison with the competition.

Full review:

Last edited by a moderator:
Baby hawk needs a small Rx
I went with the FrSky XM ...

So I guess any Rx that takes the same voltage and has the same pin out
Yeah the one I linked to is almost as small as the one they installed, but I would have to de-pin it to do what they did. Not a huge deal, since it's only 3 pins, but still...

Maybe if I get this big one flying again, and save up a little...

As long as + - and the signal match -- Id say go for it ..
Baby Hawk is a sweet ride ..

In hind sight , I may have done two baby hawks instead of trying the DYS ELf ...
Anyhow ... It's all good fun ( I hope )

I saw that video a little while ago ...
He did'ny wana youz glue !

Yeah the one I linked to is almost as small as the one they installed, but I would have to de-pin it to do what they did. Not a huge deal, since it's only 3 pins, but still...

Maybe if I get this big one flying again, and save up a little...
Got my new RX today. Old one wasn't really that big (at least once I took off the 3x6 right angle pin header), but this thing's pretty dang small! I think it would work in a baby hawk just fine. I probably wouldn't even de-pin it in a baby hawk - just touch the pins together and solder them directly, then insulate/mount/reinforce w/ hot glue. MicroSD card for scale:

IMG_20190115_135919~01.jpg

I would de pin , just makes for a neater install ... ( But thats just me )
Bottom line is , what works - works !

I agree that it's definitely neater/cleaner, but apparently my soldering (and de-soldering) skills still leave a lot to be desired. When I de-pinned the old RX, I accidentally peeled up some of the traces/solder pads, but I didn't think it mattered because not only was it on channels I wasn't using, it was the 5v and gnd rails for those channels. Since I connected power at the other end of those traces and the RX powered up and seemed to behave normally, I thought I was fine. Guess not. At least it was apparently a cheap fix. Plus I have plenty of room in this frame for whatever.

I don't think I'll de-pin this new one for now, but I will add a spot of hot glue to make sure the 3 pin header doesn't come loose in mid-air.

Back