the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

Micro SU27 from Hobbyking

Look a bit shaky in the start, did you have to much throw on the control surfaces,,,, i know that was a problem for my friend when he started with ultralights.
He limited servo speed and throw and he was able to fly instead of crash.

Yes , caught me by surprise ...
Most of the flight 5mm to 10mm of stick was all that was needed ..
I will have to drop my rates , or throw in some expo ..

Just changing the endpoints in the radio ought to be enough, right? That way you get more resolution and finer control. Or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

Meanwhile I built this last night.

IMG_20191012_034625.jpg

Armattan Rooster frame, scorpion 2204-2700kv motors, t-motor 5146 props, speedix 30a escs with blheli-s, holybro kakute F4 AIO v2 flight controller, foxeer Arrow pro camera, hglrc vtx (sadly doesn't have smart audio but hey, it was free from a friend and I can reach the button easy enough), foxeer lollipop 3 antenna, radiolink r12dsm diversity receiver, and some 3d printed parts from thingiverse.

Sticking with betaflight 3.5.7 because it has much better performance on the standard tune compared to the new 4.1. tried 4.0.5 and it was a hot mess - couldn't even fly in a straight line so quickly went back to 357.

Somehow, it's only 490 grams, even with a 3s 1500mah battery onboard. Eventually I'm going to 4s, but first I need to get better control and increase my skill level so I can actually handle that kind of speed.

The props are quite close, but I'm not worried, since the frame and props are both very rigid.

JPEG_20191012_034949.jpg

IMG_20191012_091609.jpg

Last edited:
Rates does the same thing .
currently 50% rates .. So 100% of stick = 50% of movement
Next time I might try 35% rates and to soften the centre , throw in some expo //
Maybe start with 50% expo and 50% rates ?
Either way , got to soften the controls , because the little SU27 is almost Bionic .

Needed a new good video quality drone for helping me with outdoor reviews so went with the Parrot ANAFI

I was actually looking over a few reviews on youtube of that quadcopter yesterday, so seeing this posted today was funny.

and as much as I AM a DJI fanboy, my next aerial camera will likely be the Skydio 2.

Looks like a nice system, what kind of money are they asking for it ?
Also wondering what kind of SOC are able to handle all this, it is after all spammed in cameras beside the main one.

EDIT: i found out the SOC for obstacle avoidance cameras at least are Nvidia jetson TX2

Danish dude i believe.

Last edited:
Also wondering what kind of SOC are able to handle all this, it is after all spammed in cameras beside the main one.

less than DJI mavic pro 2 money. it's $1000 USD. the controller (which is actually a parrot anafi controller) and a beacon are $150 each. quite good if it does all that it says it can. i've seen some early reviews of people running in and out of areas with trees and it looks pretty promising.

EDIT: i found out the SOC for obstacle avoidance cameras at least are Nvidia jetson TX2

Danish dude i believe.

The Skydio is a beast of a flying computer, I would have loved to get my hands on one, problem is that they only know where US and Canada are and won't ship to the rest of the world....

Some of the specs!
Main Processor: NVIDIA Tegra X2 SOC
GPU: 256-core NVIDIA Pascal™ GPU
CPU: Dual-Core NVIDIA Denver 2 64-bit CPU
Quad-Core ARM®-A57 MPCore

RAM: 4GB 128-bit LPDDR4
Obstacle avoidance coverage
Omnidirectional and above/below
Super fisheye lenses for 360° view
3D world model update rate
> 1 million points per second
World model-to-action update rate
500 iterations per second
Onboard AI
9 custom deep networks used in flight
User-selectable subjects for tracking
People and motor vehicles
Object tracking and identification
Up to 10 simultaneous objects of interest
Calibration
Automated online calibration of lens
parameters, camera rotations, wind speed,
and air density
Cinematic Skills
Motion Track (relative to subject motion)
Fixed Track (relative to absolute orientation)
One Shots (dronie, rocket, boomerang, and vortex)
Cable cam (single pass, looping, or track)

Sorry that they’re only distributing in NA. it’s rare to see these things built in USA anymore, let alone a small startup that’s local to me. That’s a huge reason they can’t manufacture in large quantities currently. I just did the preorder and the first shipment will be next month but mine is not expected until June of 2020!o_O

judging by the 1 - 2 by 2020 you might be able to get the Skydio 3
I would love a toy like this too, quadcopters for me are only interesting as a flying camera platform, but i don't dare to dangle my Nikon under a DIY platform.

Freaking it can process the footage from six 4K cameras, and then record 4K/60 HDR on the main camera,,,, though i assume it have its own SOC, gopro 8 and dji action cant even record 4K/60 HDR they can only do that in 30 FPS.

PS, I saw a kite surfer test the Skydio 2 and i am pretty sure it would gladly fly into the kite "wires" as i couldn't even see then in the footage from the main camera, at one time the quadcopter almost get swamped by a wave too.

skydio mark 3 being introduced before mine ships is a very real possibility. :p

-----------------------------

i sold my M365 scooter a few weeks ago and took delivery of the segway ninebot max on saturday. this morning was my first commute in. it did 18 kilometers with 131 meters of climbing and averaged 22.5 KPH while doing so. i ended the journey with 60% battery left. the real test will be on my way back home though. that's 24 kilometers with 430 meters of climbing.

3802010-Segway-MAX-G30D-Lifestyle-Product-Hamburg1-1.jpg

The 3 E scooter test cities here are seeing massive problems, TBH i don't think it will be allowed here, at least not rental level, but private ownership i think will come.
To me personally the scooters seem silly, i would prefer a E bike any day of the week.
It is also some of the main things here, you have problems indicating turn or stopping with a hand, at least if you are a novice driver which many are that pick up a rental scooter.
But even E bikes on their own have made accident numbers for cyclists go up, and the severity of the accidents have gone up too as a result of the higher speeds, the average of cyclists getting hurt have also gone up as it is often older people getting a E bike to prolong their cycling career.
There are even difference in the 2 types of E bikes, the largest group of people getting hurt are on the kind of bikes where you have a throttle, the electric aided bikes where you are forced to kick the pedals to get some E- help seem safer.

At October fest down in Germany they caught many a drunk driver on scooters, seem like Germans are as stupid as Danes and think a scooter are not a motor vehicle,,,, but it are and you can not drive it while drunk.

I definitely see the concern for local government. Regulation is good when it comes to new technology. Here in San Francisco, the rental companies just put them out in public spaces without permits and operated until the city put a stop to it and put some rules in place.

And I think there’s a huge difference between users that hire a rideable and people that own them. People generally don’t care about things that they do not own and will ride them and park them anywhere they please.

For me, eBikes and eScooters have different uses though they overlap a bit. I love my bike for traveling longer distances but I prefer the smaller, more maneuverable scooter in crowded urban spaces. I’m much more likely to bring my scooter out to lunch or do some sightseeing during my work day as opposed to my bike. But I’m trying out this high-range scooter to see if I can use it on my “lazy days”. This first morning was fine but I definitely will be layering up more and investing in some wind-proof gloves. When I’m riding my bike I don’t really get cold since I’m always pedaling.

A look thru the windscreen of my computer, something seem to have gone wrong for youtube re-compressing my video, but you get the idea.
No servos or receivers in there, but the 6 fans are brushless and controlled automatic in relation to CPU temperature, and i ride the 1920 X CPU hard at 4 GHZ ( +500 MHZ ) on all 12 cores using a light sprinkle of Vcore voltage

Back