the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

so i saw a brief mention of this on the FliteTest vlog, and just missed the application period for banggood's free trial thing, but it still looks like a pretty neat product:

my only question would be, what if you have OSD? i see TX/RX solder pads, but i'm not familiar enough with how they work together to know if that's where you'd loop in an OSD module.

I think dont the OSD devise normally plug in between the AV out of the camera and the video transmitter, and then just sit there in line overlaying the OSD information on the AV signal before its transmitted.

I think dont the OSD devise normally plug in between the AV out of the camera and the video transmitter, and then just sit there in line overlaying the OSD information on the AV signal before its transmitted.
right, i guess i was thinking of having the osd stuff recorded as well. but for a first-of-its-kind device, it still looks pretty awesome. and definitely beats trying to use a "big" gopro/gitup type camera, even a gopro session, since it's so much smaller. the dvr/controller part of this cam is the same dimensions as most flight controllers so you can easily stack them and not waste a bunch of space. i'd have to take my cc3d out of its case and then get some plastic standoffs to screw it all together, but that's ok - been thinking about doing that anyway. only drawback is that on my qav250 frame, the only place to screw the fc to the frame is right in the center... and if i did that, i wouldn't be able to put my battery inside the frame anymore. Maybe i just need to get a different spacer for the bottom so i can have EVERYTHING except the camera and battery between the bottom two plates, and have plenty of room to put my battery between the top and middle plates.

hehe i follow you M8, but that we cant have aside for in a few action cameras crammed with sensors, and even then i think it still need a pass thru a computer to truly be embedded the sensor information in the footage.

RC but computer at the controller = putting the N in Nerd :D

Pretty cool making me wish i was more nerdy cuz when it come down to it i am not that much of a nerd.

That was interesting - Good post kamkar1

I am eyeballing a Tx in that order from hobbyking, not that i am going flying anytime soon, but with a fully decked out car i need 5-6 channels for the little extras like winch - lighting and so on.

9XR pro is on special ATM

After a lot of drones and some cars, I've picked up a new passion for R/C airplanes. I've started with easy to fly things and progressively upped the challenge level. My ultimate goal is to make a long range FPV plane that will host a gimbal, action camera and head tracking. Until all the tech gets purchased and figured out I though I should start with the basic like a 2 meter wingspan plane, flight controller, etc. Well finally I have decided to go with APM and Arduplane boasting GPS, telemetry, osd with fail safes such as RTL (return to landing) and things like that. Spent a lot of time in this build with lots of new things to learn, even my new TX / RX was new to me (FrSky Taranis Q X7) so I had to learn about Open TX as well. Finally the plane was ready after a few weeks of unslept nights and was ready fro the maiden. I have also chosen the perfect timing and took the plane with me at the mountain side to do som proper long range / cloud surfing. Well guess what, plane flew absolutely marvelous in the first seconds on full manual mode and as instant as I have switched to stabilized mode it has rolled 180° and then nose dived full throttle into the ground and suffered a massive amount of damage. My biggest mistake was that I switched it at a very high speed combined with too low altitude so there wasn't any time left for switching back to manual and recover. The preliminary damage report is also grave and includes L9R receiver (torn apart, broken antennas, chipped PCB), APM power module (caught fire), brand new Graphene LiPo smashed and deformed, both internal wood trays shattered, ailerons epo hinge broken, camera canopy broken in multiple parts, camera bracket bent, wing servos broken gears, massive amount of broken wires (servo, power, etc) and the list is growing. It is still impressive non the less of how good the plastic body coped, a few bruises but noting wrong with it and the camera also survived even if it was thrown a few meters away.

So here is the crash and the aftermath:

Do set up the servos to respond slowly, my friend forgot that when he got back into flying and that did cost him some crashes.
And it do look like your plane are too responsive, and a sluggish plane are good for a beginner.

Do set up the servos to respond slowly, my friend forgot that when he got back into flying and that did cost him some crashes.
And it do look like your plane are too responsive, and a sluggish plane are good for a beginner.

After doing some "crash investigation" it seems that the stabilize axis in reversed into the flight controller....

hehe yeah you will need those to be working the right way too.
I think my friend took off 70% of the servos speed, so now when he make a movement of a joystick the servo react slowly to that, and he have not crashed any planes since then.

And you can still do loops and barrel rolls, it just take a bit longer to initiate them, the servos on my friends plane still have the same travel but instead of it taking a blink of a eye to go from one outer position to the other it now take a couple of seconds.

Offcourse this are also smaller styrofoam planes like your own, in the old days he flew larger planes made of balsa and with a thin plastic skin, and those also had nitro motors as electric planes wasent that big in the early - mid 80ties.

Yeah , tricky stuff .. Does the flight controller require programming ( setting up ) ..
A lot of them need to be set up and calibrated ..
I had a lot of fun with a quad that was a little more advanced .. It needed programming and calibrating ( setting up ) ...
Then testing to make sure everything was ok , before flying . It was fantastic after being set up but had battery problems I could never get past .
So now its a parts donor .

Yeah , tricky stuff .. Does the flight controller require programming ( setting up ) ..
A lot of them need to be set up and calibrated ..
I had a lot of fun with a quad that was a little more advanced .. It needed programming and calibrating ( setting up ) ...
Then testing to make sure everything was ok , before flying . It was fantastic after being set up but had battery problems I could never get past .
So now its a parts donor .
I know @TechTronic9000 has at least one advanced quadcopter so he's familiar with programmable FCs.

I just wish I could customize the rates on my micro quads for indoor flight, or maybe use my hobby grade TX for them. The little remotes are so twitchy so it's hard to fly smooth.

I know @TechTronic9000 has at least one advanced quadcopter so he's familiar with programmable FCs.

I just wish I could customize the rates on my micro quads for indoor flight, or maybe use my hobby grade TX for them. The little remotes are so twitchy so it's hard to fly smooth.

Um what micro quad ?
I fly - Eachine H8 - E010 - E011 - JJRC H36 and all on my IrangeX IRX4 multi protocol module . The module is on my Turnigy 9XR pro transmitter running OpenTx .

If you ever consider another Tx You might want to look at the Taranis Q-X7 ..... I really would trade some of mine for a X7 ..
I think I could live with a X7 - My 9XR pro and the i10 ... 3 Transmitters that bind them all !

If you ever consider another Tx You might want to look at the Taranis Q-X7 ..... I really would trade some of mine for a X7 ..
I think I could live with a X7 - My 9XR pro and the i10 ... 3 Transmitters that bind them all !
Yeah I'd have to have a lot more models (and more free time to play with them) before I could spend that much on just a transmitter. Does look nice though!

Back