the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

Looks like it is flown quite creative.

I was told at least back in the day Helis was some of the hardest stuff to RC, probably why its the one remote thing my friend have not tried.

When we moved for my friend last Saturday there was some of the other guys we drive our RC scalers with, and they did know my fried have a severe addiction, but still when they saw the +7 foot long USS Missouri and the 1:6 M1A1 tank they did do a little,,,,,OMG. o_O
They should only know that every 10 years or so he throw out 100 Kg or so of old RC stuff to make room for new stuff.
I have 3 of his cars here in my apartment, the 1:5 HPI 5B and 5T and then the contrast he drove overcompetetive in the old days.
We even found the tire heaters for the 1:5 car when we packed up his house, that also freaked some of the guys, but yes competitive driving and you need stuff like that :)

Of all the different RCs I have (helis, fpv quad, planes, trucks) helis are the most challenging to master... And I am still learning the more intricate/difficult moves. However I also get the most satisfaction flying helis. What I have found is that using the SIM is a very big help in practicing / learning maneuvers in a heli. It ends up saving me a lot of money too since I can master my "exit" moves in case of difficulties on the SIM so it becomes almost second nature in real life.

The latest edition of SIMs are great in mimicking the physics of real life RC helis. I have used Phoenix 5.5, RealFlight 7.5, and AccuRC 2.x. Of the three I end up using RealFlight 7.5 the most and AccuRC second. There are user designed helicopter (along with aircraft) models for RealFlight at the Knife Edge Swap Pages. I downloaded the Compass Chronos model from the swap pages and modified the canopy graphics to add the Scorpion decal so it looks like my real life Chronos. I also tweaked the settings to my liking so the physics behaves very similar to the real thing.

Here is a video I captured of me practicing moves (mostly inverted and upright funnels) on my virtual Chronos in RealFlight 7.5:

AccuRC also is a great SIM and already has the Chronos, along with other popular helis from manufacturers like SAB (Goblin), Synergy, MSH, Gaui, and Align in its library of helicopter models. It is available for download off Steam (along with the latest version of RealFlight which is 8.0).

Here is me practicing with the AccuRC Chronos which I also tweaked to my liking:

Both Steam versions of AccuRC and RealFlight now also support VR. So if you have an Occulus Rift, etc., you can use that for even more life like SIMming.

I found the sim (?)
If you can already fly , and you have a handle on the remote ... Then the sim is a great way to reinforce skills ..
I can't say it's a replacement for the real thing .. I would say if you are trying to program behavior then yes the sims work .. Again , I think you would actually need to develop real world skills first .
Helicopters are unpredictable , the sims ( I have used ) tended to be predictable . So the sim is like way easier .

The way I went in the end was with a Micro CP , because they are so unpredictable - fast - skittish , if you can fly a Micro Helicopter like the Master CP ..
Then a 450 or larger will be like flying a sim ( EASY ) .. Honestly , after learning the Master CP , going back to 450 was like child's play . My 450's seemed to be flying in slow motion in comparison .
The micro for me , was what I needed ..

Whats important ! Is that what ever you do - works for you .. The sims did not really do it for me ...
On a SIM I could do basic 3D , fly inverted , BLA BLA . No way I could do that outside the sim .. A real RC helicopter behaved nothing like the one in the sim . ( But thats just my experience )

I guess whatever rocks your boat/to each his/her own but the setup of the models on your SIM should be in such a way that it mimics real life closely. Which is why downloading user designed and tweaked models from the swap pages I linked to above for RealFlight users is very helpful since those models were tweaked to look and fly very similar to the real helis/plane. Of course real life is still different than simming... there is no pucker factor nor adrenaline rush when simming so it could get boring. But for practicing simming is invaluable to me.

Also most top notch heli pilots practice their real life competition moves first in the SIM before performing their routine in real life... Here is a side by side video of a flight done in the SIM and in Real Flight of a Logo 690SX by a very good Logo pilot:

Real life is on the left, SIM is on the right... Jonas did make a mistake on the landing (powered off auto from high up) on the real flight which is why he cut off the video lol.

Last edited:
BTW, the pilot in the video above (johnie or Jonas Wackerhauser) also help setup the Chronos in RealFlight and AccuRC. He also created most of the Logo helicopter models in the RealFlight swap pages and most of the Logo along with helis from other brands in AccuRC. Jonas models (along with the user Gronimod who created many of the SAB Goblin models in the swap pages) is the big reason many serious heli pilots use AccuRC and/or RealFlight for simming.

I think the SIM is a great way to program the brain ...
Like learning a pattern , practicing the pattern in a sim is a great way to learn the pattern and to program the pattern into the human brain ..

I used to fly control line , and I flew a little stunt / aerobatics .. And it took a while to learn the pattern ( stunts - order ) ...
If you could SIM it , it would have taken much less time to learn the pattern ..
Don't think it would have done squat for the actual flying skill part though .
So I do believe SIMs have a important part to play , that is for sure ..

Festo are so cool, for sure a place one should look for employment if you are into stuff like that.

My full review of the XK X520 "Fighter" is now uploaded and I must say that this thing is completely mental !

About it:
The XK X520 "Fighter" is a twin brushless motor powered aircraft fully capable of VTOL (vertical take off and landing) while still being able to fly like a regular plane for higher efficiency. To ease the control it comes with a integrated gyro flight controller that provides assisted elevon control and differential thrust. It also comes in FPV variant for more fun but it needs a special 5.8G WiFi channel band (used mostly in China).

Last edited by a moderator:
A short flight test with the Bugs 3 Mini that now has a OnePaa X2000 camera attached to it. The footage was taken in 1080p@60fps and it also uses the Gyro EIS stabilization. The flight time was ~ 5 minutes while the outside temperature was around -5°C.

My full review of the XK X520 "Fighter" is now uploaded and I must say that this thing is completely mental !

About it:
The XK X520 "Fighter" is a twin brushless motor powered aircraft fully capable of VTOL (vertical take off and landing) while still being able to fly like a regular plane for higher efficiency. To ease the control it comes with a integrated gyro flight controller that provides assisted elevon control and differential thrust. It also comes in FPV variant for more fun but it needs a special 5.8G WiFi channel band (used mostly in China).

Wow - That looks like so much fun ....

My little motor :
Going to build a new wing with this little motor , I hope to get the flying weight @ 100 grams RTF

31104033_2041672886057548_2192290696747024384_n.jpg

Oooooh , broke it !

I was sent a Eachine E010s Pro to test / review and it will not bind correctly with my transmitter .... Oh dear - How frustrating ! Was hoping to be flying today , FPV and all that ...
Unfortunately just been a real frustrating day ...
My Taranis is throwing up some sort of warning every time I try to connect to betaflight to set up the Rx functions ...
Tried re binding several times + bound to another Tx , but the same issue stops me every time .

Wow ! , must have been computer controlled with each Drone GPS equipped ..
If they can do that with toys , how long before Judgement day ?

The SkyEasy FPV plane is meant to be a beginner GPS RTF KIT that should help anyone to enter into the flying wing hobby. The plane itself in the RTF-FPV mode does come with all needed parts such as batteries, goggles , chargers and even a transmitter. The only problem with this model is the fact that it does need: extra manuals, extra documentation, extra tuning, some repairs and a lot more patience and experience to make it fly ! After all the issues are sorted and solved it will fly like a dream being stable, predictable, efficient and actually easy to fly !

The RTF + FPV kit is available from: http://bit.ly/2jLdkJ2

The JJRC Q46 resembles the design of the Capo Ace model, while most of the technical platform is shared with the popular WLtoys 12428 series. It's a 1:12 scale 4WD desert buggy capable of "official stated" speeds of up to 45 km and it's powered by a 540 size brushed motor. Other features include real bedlock tires, working headlamps, roof rack lamps and a real working spare wheel. The only con until now is the poor battery quality as it only has ~ 1500mAh capacity and it only works for a few minutes.

Initial hands on unboxing review

Test run

Here are my current cars.

The buggy is a TLR 22 4.0 SR. I occasionally race it at a local indoor track in the 17.5 class. The truck is an Axial SCX10.2 kit. I also have a Tiny Whoop quad and looking to get a bigger quad in the near future.

Attachments

• 4OLkUHi.jpg
    4OLkUHi.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 5
  • MROLlxX.jpg
    MROLlxX.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back