the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

@TechTronic9000

OK, I'm more than a bit stupid about quads, so you may have answered this already but with me not knowing the "jargon" I have a few questions about the Fairy XT 175. Does the "GPS" mean that it can hold itself in one spot hovering? Can it fly a pre-programmed "line"(one is enough)? Does it have a "newbie" mode that does things slowly for beginners?

I have a friend who flies an older DJI but those are well beyond my budget. What I want to use this for is to do exterior home inspections without needing to set up ladders and crawl all over, saving that for only areas where I see something suspicious. Secondary use would be fun flying to gain flight experience. I don't need a"racer", just a relatively stable platform. At the price in the link you gave, this is something I can afford versus something I can only dream about.

Phil

Gearbast have this to say.

Main Features:
GPS + Optical Flow positioning system achieves both indoor and outdoor precise hover
1080P HD camera provides a clear FPV flight
970mAh LiPo battery can work long up to 16mins
Ultra light 140g weight and mini pocket size, easy to carry
Follow Me mode: lock you as a hot point and automatically fly following you to make a video
One key return / takeoff / landing greatly simplify the operations and are very friendly to new players
● Waypoints: can draw a line as a flight path
● High-speed brushless motor + professional foldable propeller reduce noise by 30 percent and increase power by 20 percent
● APP download: QR code on the manual

i love the idea of the foldable props on a lot of these newer quads. not only will it store MUCH easier (smaller case and/or no need to remove/install props every time) it'll probably also mean fewer bent/broken props in case of a crash. i haven't tried them myself (i only have a couple indoor toys and one 250mm "racer" that probably wouldn't work w/ foldables) but they seem like a great, simple idea.

Hmmmm , I dont like folding props on quads .. I think it impacts on the flight performance ( Wishy washy )
I much prefer fixed props for better control and stability .

I remember when my 450 heli became wishy washy , it was because the fits on the rotor head had loosened up ..
And it was time to rebuild the rotor head ..
I think that particular 450 , I rebuilt the rotor head 4 times ..
Cant remember any more how many hours I had on that 450 , but it was several hundred ..

Hmmmm , I dont like folding props on quads .. I think it impacts on the flight performance ( Wishy washy )
I much prefer fixed props for better control and stability .

I remember when my 450 heli became wishy washy , it was because the fits on the rotor head had loosened up ..
And it was time to rebuild the rotor head ..
I think that particular 450 , I rebuilt the rotor head 4 times ..
Cant remember any more how many hours I had on that 450 , but it was several hundred ..
i wonder if with a smaller prop, which most likely runs at a higher RPM, there's more centripetal force to keep the props straight out when at speed... so it won't feel as "loose" as your heli did.

I have a small quad with folding props ..
It feels like a wet sponge to fly .. Been trying to find one piece props for it with no luck .. ( is it the E58 ? )
Just used the heli as an example ..
I think the folding props absorb too much energy on a small quad .. ( For a lack of a better way of explaining things )
And that energy needs to go somewhere , and it's very unidirectional ( arc of the prop ) . Where the energy gets transferred ( direction ) ?
Kind of makes for a mushy feeling quad .

And it was kind of the same deal with the 450 , a nice tight well set up rotor head directs energy where you want it to go ..
A lose or worn head directs energy , a little here or there , making for a very soft or mushy feeling heli ..

iRangeX RM601 Receiver ( DSM ) Part 1
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3138283-iRangeX-RM601-Receiver-(-DSM-)-Part-1

Been playing with the iRangeX RM601 7ch receiver most of the day ( oooh what a day )
I have had my eye on this receiver for a while , but also seen some negativity towards it ...
So obviously I had to try it .

The short story is , yes it does brown out ! Not because of Voltage , but rather because it is not fed enough current .
Feeding the 601 5v and 6v with a max current of 0.5A , it browned out something terrible . DSM2 was far worse than DSMx

I jacked up the current limit to 0.9A and there were no more brown outs until I lowered the voltage to 3.9v
Increasing the max current to 1.5A saw the Rx run fine all the way down to 3.2v , I didn't think it was practical going lower ..

In part 2 , I will run the iRangeX RM601 on a single cell lipo and gradually drop the voltage and test under load .

iRangeX Rm610 Part two ....
Here I test with a 1s Lipo ...

Screen_Shot_09-24-18_at_11.28_AM_001.jpg

More Voltage / Range Test and Conclusion . ( Part 3 )

I put the Rx on my Variable output power supply , I also made up a special servo plug so I could monitor voltage to the servo .
Was doing this to see if the voltage to the servo was in any way regulated ..
Short answer is no .. I set the input voltage to 7v and the output to the servos was 6.96 volts .. So no direct use of 2s battery packs ...

Next I wanted to test RANGE ( kind of important for RC )
Setting my Jumper T8SG Plus to range test mode ( 100uW ) ...
The iRangeX Rm610 was powered by a 1s Lipo .. ( Not fully charged ) ( Bind was in DSMx )
I was easily able to get to my maximum test distance of 50 meters , even when I put my body between the Rx and Tx there was no signal loss .
After the range test I measured the voltage on the battery .. ( 3.85v )

In conclusion all I can say is that I was impressed enough to right after range testing buy another iRangeX RM610 ...
Yeah , I bought another for no other reason than the Rx rocks my world hard !

1) Yes the Rx browns out - because it does not get enough current .. ( Not a voltage issue )
2) Looks to run 1s brilliantly
3) Cheap
4) small and light
5) Range tested well
6) So far has only impressed

This new one look interesting to me.

@TechTronic9000

OK, I'm more than a bit stupid about quads, so you may have answered this already but with me not knowing the "jargon" I have a few questions about the Fairy XT 175. Does the "GPS" mean that it can hold itself in one spot hovering? Can it fly a pre-programmed "line"(one is enough)? Does it have a "newbie" mode that does things slowly for beginners?

I have a friend who flies an older DJI but those are well beyond my budget. What I want to use this for is to do exterior home inspections without needing to set up ladders and crawl all over, saving that for only areas where I see something suspicious. Secondary use would be fun flying to gain flight experience. I don't need a"racer", just a relatively stable platform. At the price in the link you gave, this is something I can afford versus something I can only dream about.

Phil

GPS = it holds position when you are not giving it any commands or corrections, it needs to be outdoor and to have a lock, it can return to home.
OFP = optical flow positioning, it works indoor and outdoor, uses visual tracking, doesn't need a lock time. It needs good light, it's limited to some maximum height, it doesn't know to return home.

that looks like a fun event. handheld gimbals and motorized scooters. I'd have fun there. and is that you in the red shirt in front of the X5?
Yes, it's me, with my small M365 eScooter.

I also used to ride this larger beast:

Here is the full review of the Dr.X drone, made by ThiEYE a producer known for its action cameras. They have just entered the world of quadcopters with this first model. The quads category sector is similar with the Ryze Tello and MITU Mini, it offers similar flight performance and similar design which includes brushed motors and optical-flow positioning system but it promises the best camera boasting a 8 mpix sensor and Full HD video recording. The Dr.X si available in two different packages

Here is my review of the new Visuo XS812 which comes as a big surprise while remaining a cheap copter it comes fully loaded with true GPS system, smart flight modes, various fail-safe, full size conventional transmitter, WiFi FPV streaming and recording, orbit mode and Full HD 1080p video recording.

Available in 5 different versions from:

For more in depth review and several other detailed pictures:
http://techtronic9000.blogspot.com/2018/09/visuo-xs812-gps-5g-wifi-camera-drone.html

My first comp today, placed #2 in a field of 20 or so more specialized looking trucks with my pretty stock looking Dodge power wagon.
Only one that beat me was my friend ( guy on the Left ) that did the first 3 courses with his Gmade BOM truggy, and ran the last course with his spare Traxxas tr4.

trail--crawl-hyggedagloeb-1310.jpg

All nice trucks, good job in the competition (y) Looks like prize packages in your hands, hope it's good stuff.

Phil

I got a gift card for 4 scale vanity plates, a scale fire extinguisher and a servo not really strong enough for the things we need at least not steering but for shifting gears on a 2 speed transmission it will be fine.
All good, playing was the prime thing, and it was actually a pretty cool place with plenty of challenges for the little trucks.

A nice day out ... :)

Back