the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

Just about ready to hit the trails again, no more yota, now its all Chevy power.
_DSC0037_(Kopier).JPG

_DSC0036_(Kopier).JPG

_DSC0035_(Kopier).JPG

_DSC0034_(Kopier).JPG

Now i just got to tweak the stance, so got to figure out something about that rear end as the front have even lesser adjustment to it.

But i will work it out, i always do.
Also got to get some lights on the roof, the two X 3 LED's in the headlights are not enough, or maybe it is ( 50.000 mcd each ) but i have never been known to be moderate in regard to light on my truck.
And the forest are pretty dark even at the hight of summer, and i drive a stick controller so i cant hold one of my flashlights at the same time, and that would be cheating too :D

PS. the body are meant for one 5 mm led in the headlights, but that's useless at night in the forest :rolleyes: so i drilled the suckers and crammed in 3 LED's in each.

Plan on doing something like this .... ( The plan )
The 8mm motor is just sick ! ( Too hot for me )
I hope the 7mm I have can power a wing ..
i'd like to try fixed wing, but with a deltawing, there's no rudder so whatever i learned there wouldn't all translate over to regular fixed wing or even quadcopters.

some of the stuff i ordered for my car is starting to arrive - a lot of of my metal chassis/suspension parts are here: ball bearings for wheels (it was just brass bushings - total crap!), metal steering arm (plastic one was so flexible it was nuts), metal center chassis brace (just stiffens things up and helps reduce steering slop since the steering gear attaches to it). also received metal shock towers (which have more mount holes for shocks so you can alter ride height) and metal body shell supports. got some wheels with lo-pro street tires and hub adapters, but the adapters are too thick, so i'm trying to get a refund from banggood for them, and then i'll file them down to make them work.

next to arrive should be some metal adjustable steering/suspension arms, so i'll be able to adjust front toe and front/rear camber (and eliminate another plastic part). then some metal differentials, a 540 brushed motor, metal pinion/reduction gears (currently has a brass pinion and plastic reduction which are already showing a nasty amount of wear).

i had some white LEDs left over from my quad's LED upgrades, so i already install them as headlights. I also removed the paint from the windshield of the body shell, but it's still too hazy so i need to try polishing the plastic to make it clear again so the FPV camera can see through it. worst case i'll cut it out and replace it with clear plastic from a display box or something, or just leave it with no windshield at all.

20170418_122423~01.jpeg

Also... Why is the red thread locker in a blue tube, and the blue thread locker in a red tube??
20170418_122438~01.jpg

HEhehehe !

The wings fly fine because of the canards ( Tips ) these help the wing track true .
I got myself a 600mm kit ( Flying wing ) , just waiting on a ESC and battery ..

Lots of RC projects going on ...

The unfortunate stance on the Chevy is fixed now, but i do think i have to work a little with the wheelbase.
Going on maiden drive tomorrow so will have to see and listen for tire rubbing.
The tires i am on are actually 1.55 size, but they are the larger kind, 10 - 15 mm more OD than the original tires.

Also other things i have to change, cuz you know how it is stock is not good enough ;)

HEhehehe !

The wings fly fine because of the canards ( Tips ) these help the wing track true .
I got myself a 600mm kit ( Flying wing ) , just waiting on a ESC and battery ..

Lots of RC projects going on ...
Oh I know they fly fine, I see them all the time on Flite Test. I was just saying they don't have rudder, they just have elevons, so flying them is different. That's all.

Also, the things on the ends of the wing aren't canards. They're just vertical stabilizers. Canards are when the control surfaces are out in front of the main wings: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canard_(aeronautics)

Yep ! so right ... ( My bad on the canard )

They call em winglets ....
Very popular now on full sized aircraft ...

I should not post late at night .. ( Here i am posting @ 1am )

I actually saw a little private plane like that today, first time i have seen one like that here in Denmark.
At first i was thinking that's a ultra lite or a motor hang glider, but then it was flying higher than those can go legally.
It was pretty loud too.

so that little battery-shaped LED didn't work out. it's supposedly made specifically for 2S LiPos, which is what this car uses. and at a full 8.4v, it shows all 4 bars. but at a basically-dead 7.4v (3.7v/cell) it still shows 3 bars. at 7.2 it finally drops to 2 bars. during hard acceleration, i saw it drop to 1 bar, but not once did i see it go to zero bars and begin flashing the red outline like it's supposed to.

the sticker on the bag that LED came in says 6.6-8.4v. if you run a 2s lipo down to 6.6, you might as well throw it out because it won't be good anymore.

so i took the battery alarm off the back bumper, trimmed it down as much as possible, glued it in place of that battery-shaped LED, then soldered the UBEC and cam/vtx directly to the terminals on the battery alarm. unfortunately it's a bit larger than the previous thing, so it hits the body mount bracket... so i added a thick layer of hot-glue on the back of the circuit board so it won't short out on the metal body mount. then i flex the body and forced some cotterpins in, then used my heat gun on the hood do let it stretch around the battery alarm. now it literally has a "power bulge" in the hood. :D

an unintended side-effect is simplified wiring. before, i had an extension cable going from the balance plug on the battery to the alarm on the back bumper (which ran kinda close to the rear shocks), and also a JST connector coming off that extension up into the body of the car to run everything. now i just use that extension directly to the alarm in the body, and have removed the JST connector from the extension. less clutter = better. and now there's no guessing how much juice is actually left - i have an actual voltage display front and center. dunno why i didn't do it that way to begin with...

fe2bkw.jpg

600mm Wing ...
Just waiting on a 12Amp ESC and a 2s Battery ...

Banggood is sending me the 1000mm version for review ... I actually have everything in hand to put the 1000mm wing in the air .. But had to order stuff for the smaller wing ..
I havent flown a plank in decades , so really looking forward to seeing just how bad ( rusty ) I am at the sticks of a plank ...

( I purchased the smaller wing - the larger wing was sent for review )

Reviews !
First thing is to actually do some reviews , you buy something = Do a product review on it !
Once you have a body of work , some one might contact you regarding doing a review for them ( that's what happened to me - I did not chase people for review samples - they contacted me )
Obviously reviews are a two way street ... The sponsor ( of the review ) obviously wants something in return ( Traffic to their website for example / exposure for the product ) ..

I have seen a few cases where folks have been sent product to review and no review was posted .. (Bad Ju Ju )
So the more whiz bang you make the review ( Entertaining - engaging - informative ) the more views you may get and possibly more visits to the sponsor .

There are lots and lots of variables involved .. And sometimes its hard to make the sponsor happy ... ( Product may not be all that interesting )
BG has sent me stuff on and off over a few years now ( Not always the same contact at BG )

The other issue is some people get their nickers in a knot because you posted a sponsored review with link backs to the sponsor ? ( I kid you not ) Some people get downright feral because you got something to review !
So there is the good , the bad , and the ugly ...

And I am not the best reviewer , I like to stick to the facts and I'm not that fantastic a communicator !
But I try to be as honest as the day is long , I don't BS , I don't waffle , I just tell it like it is ...

And I have a Cam review I have to get out of the way ( New ELE Explorer S 4k ) I have the old ELE Explorer 4K , so a direct comparison is in order .. ( Have to pull my finger out for that one )

This is the last Review / Test I did ... http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54006

Its a generic Canon LP-E6 replacement battery ...
I was researching LP-E6 batteries and could only find Opinion and Speculation ...
Having some interest in batteries , I could only summarize most of the information I saw was " BS " ...

Anyhow , the Review / Test is very brief ! Because the goal was to find the battery capacity and to give the battery every opportunity to deliver ( Low discharge current )
I could have waffled on about turning the charger into a battery dock (?)
And a whole bunch of other stuff ...

But since I was the sponsor of the test , I had to put the nix on that ....
Just the results please ...

I really have to learn how to waffle ( Pad reviews ) maybe add something about a farmer and his daughter ( maybe not ) .
I really have to try a little harder when this wing gets here , also jack up the video presentation ...

Also key words , I just dont know how some people get 50,000 views ? ( Maybe they use words like , sex and nude to get punters in ? )

I've been playing with a new Bebop UAV, I mean.....'drone'. (Hate that mislabeling)

The onboard camera is OK, but bought a mobius mini to stick on it. (eventually)
Easy to fly, I like the ability to set parameters for height, distance, etc.
It was a little windy this day, and I managed to delete or misplace more interesting footage.

This can be controlled by my smartphone, or tablet, is small, and reasonably capable. I'll be carrying it in my truck. :)

Yeah look like a mobius mini will be a good update for that thing.

I use the original name for them,,,, quadcopters, the more easy spelled drone i feel if like giving in to gooberment paranoia.

This is the last Review / Test I did ... http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54006

Its a generic Canon LP-E6 replacement battery ...
I was researching LP-E6 batteries and could only find Opinion and Speculation ...
Having some interest in batteries , I could only summarize most of the information I saw was " BS " ...

Anyhow , the Review / Test is very brief ! Because the goal was to find the battery capacity and to give the battery every opportunity to deliver ( Low discharge current )
I could have waffled on about turning the charger into a battery dock (?)
And a whole bunch of other stuff ...

But since I was the sponsor of the test , I had to put the nix on that ....
Just the results please ...

I really have to learn how to waffle ( Pad reviews ) maybe add something about a farmer and his daughter ( maybe not ) .
I really have to try a little harder when this wing gets here , also jack up the video presentation ...

Also key words , I just dont know how some people get 50,000 views ? ( Maybe they use words like , sex and nude to get punters in ? )

thanks. i do have some reviews already - www.gibson99.com - and not all of them were free samples. i'm getting a little better at putting together videos, and trying to keep them short and to the point. like when i put the fpv camera on the h8 mini, i sped up the dis/re-assembly parts of the video since that would have been boring and probably lost a lot of viewers. i try to keep the music low enough to be able to hear my voice, and when showing the video samples for a camera, i stop the music so people can listen to what the mic does/doesn't pick up.

i thought about putting together a video or at least an article w/ photos w/ my latest rc car, but i was more interested in getting the mods installed quickly rather than trying to put together a video.

Last edited:
gibson99.com = Very very nice ...

Geez , I'm just too lazy to update my website ... Originally it was just a quick and dirty fix for moving hosts ( more reliable host )
And I always meant to upgrade it to something much nicer ...

Your site puts me to shame !

gibson99.com = Very very nice ...

Geez , I'm just too lazy to update my website ... Originally it was just a quick and dirty fix for moving hosts ( more reliable host )
And I always meant to upgrade it to something much nicer ...

Your site puts me to shame !
It's just a template on sites.google.com (free) and I've owned the domain name for about 15 years now. Hardest part was deciding what theme to use and then the time to cut n paste the articles, then upload images and fix links in the articles from here to the site.

Last edited:
Back on topic,I got some metal differentials for my car that were meant for a different car. I will have to shave them down to fit the original carrier bearings onto the new diffs, and probably shorten the new stub axles as well. Shouldn't be too hard, just a little time consuming, using a file on such small parts.

I also got a larger 540 brushed motor to replace the stock brushed 370 motor. Having the two motors sitting in the chassis like this makes me want to order a second motor, bracket and ESC, and make it completely insane. And that would definitely justify all my metal drivetrain upgrades!

20170425_145917.jpeg

Back