The Shimano CM-1000 Sports Camera

The exploded view they show of the camera is interesting. The "guts' don't look like a typical PCB but instead look like some sort of integrated modular thing with a heat sink on the bottom. I wonder if it's a realistic depiction or just for show? If it is real I wonder what we are looking at? It's not even got a typical M12 lens and module unless the lens housing is integral with the top part of the camera shell. (There must be more to how this thing is put together.)

cm1000.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I said the same in an earlier post yesterday. It's almost like Shimano needs a much better marketing department! You would think if anyone would have known about this camera before I basically tripped over it yesterday it would have been one of us here on DCT.

I guess it's aimed at specific markets that none of us here are too engaged in

Last edited by a moderator:
The exploded view they show of the camera in interesting. The "guts' don't look like a typical PCB but instead look like some sort of integrated modular thing with a heat sink on the bottom. I wonder if it's a realistic depiction or just for show? If it is real I wonder what we are looking at? It's not even got a typical M12 lens and module. (There must be more to how this thing is put together.)

View attachment 14305

I'd guess that's more of a render for advertising purposes than a realistic view of the layout

it's quite a unique product so I'd imagine they'd like to keep as much of it as possible to themselves

Well, I hope they don't keep it to themselves so much so that they can't sell many of them. :)

Last edited:
Very interesting camera. I am also surprised there is very little buzz on it. However, last year there was 1 post on it but because it was in the video section, not much talk on it.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...or-the-amgen-calif-bike-tour.5629/#post-66154

Thanks DCM. It's cool that you remembered that post. Apparently, the only hyperlink to the camera in the post no longer works but the videos were very interesting. The camera seems to perform extremely well in that challenging, fast paced environment.

Most of my shimano gear is fishing reels :D allways been a Campagnolo whore when it came to bike gear.

It records in stereo, which is something I don't recall seeing on any other camera.
I think all the Sony action cameras record in stereo.

An interesting and unusual accessory has been introduced by Shimano on Amazon for the CM-1000, especially considering that the camera is already waterproof to 10 meters. The new accessory is a deep dive 60 meter marine waterproof housing that includes a dockable internal 3 cell AA power supply for an estimated additional two hours of run time. Imported from Japan-----$119.75 USD. Not cheap but the case puts it into the same dive depth league as a typical GoPro and the battery module is a pretty unique feature.

Shimano13.png Shimano14.png

Shimano1.png Shimano12.png

Shimano15.png

Last edited:
Nice to see there are still some things in the electronics business with "Made in Japan" written on it. :)

They look like 18650 Li-ion cells and do wonder what chemistry.

Shimano continues to add new accessories to support the CM-1000 camera.

It's interesting but not surprising that they've continued to focus on the cycling aspects of the camera. They are the only company to produce machined aluminum, anodized mounts specifically designed for bicycles. These mounts offer durability far beyond anything made of plastic. As far as I know these aluminum mounts are GoPro compatible.

http://shimano-sportcamera.com/us/accessory.php

Shimanod.png

Shimanoc.png

Shimanob.png

Cycling helmet mount
Shimanoa.png

Hat mount
Shimanohat.png

The hat visor stabilizer clip is an interesting feature for a baseball cap mount. Shimano is definitely putting some thought into engineering their designs.
Shimanof.png

Shimanog.png

The microphone windscreen is another unique accessory not seen on other cameras so far.
Shimanowind.png

Last edited:
I saw some TDF footage from this camera, at least i think it was from this camera,
One of the 3 Danish drivers had it on for a stage, and the footage looked pretty good.

I would go insane if i had to look at another guys spandex clad ass for 5 houres every day :p

ARGH just confirmed, it was filmed with a Gopro :rolleyes:

Back