reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
I just saw this article on the BBC News website in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39999009

The AA are a company offering car insurance and vehicle recovery services where you pay each year to be covered so if you breakdown they will come and help you. One of their competitors here in the UK the RAC are offering their own dashcams, and it is interesting to hear the AA saying that dashcams should potentially be restricted in the UK. IF they had their own products they wouldn't be saying anything like this.

New rules may be needed to control the use of video taken by dashboard cameras, the AA has warned.

Motorists who persistently share dashcam video could be accused of voyeurism, according to the motoring organisation.

It said too many drivers post videos on social media without considering the impact on the motorists shown.

In many cases drivers are pilloried for actions that are not their fault, the AA said.

As many as 15% of British motorists now use a dashcam, according to a poll of AA members, with one in a hundred planning to share their footage on social media like YouTube.
Edmund King, the AA president, told The Times: "While most drivers with dashcams fit them to protect themselves from 'crash for cash' fraudsters or dangerous drivers, there is an element of vehicular voyeurism from some individuals."

The motoring organisation said it was not in favour of banning dashcam use, but said the next government should consider tighter rules, like those in force in other European countries:
  • In Luxembourg, dashcam use is prohibited
  • In Germany and Austria their use is "highly discouraged"
  • In Portugal and Belgium users need the other person's permission to share video online
  • In Italy, number plates are private, and must be blurred in footage
On the other hand, the AA said sharing footage of bad driving can have its advantages.

Such publicity can send a warning to stupid and irresponsible drivers, it said. The organisation recommends sending such footage to the police, who can investigate any incident fairly.
Interestingly the article says that the UK Police are now encouraging dashcam footage to be sent to them whereas this organisation is saying that tighter rules should be put into place.

UK dashcam owners shoul unite themselves and ask for their rights.I think that no country should forbid a dashcam in a car.Sharing and publishing dashcam videos is another thing that we might discuss about especially if video envade someones privacy or take effect of their life somehow.

Sounds like they don't know what they want. On one hand use of cams should have 'tighter rules' and on the other sharing footage 'can have its advantages'. :confused:

On a different subject I was browsing a different forum and ran across someone who appears to be related to @reverend . :)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=1007209

I can't see what that is but there are lots of us ordained folks out there :D

They'd have to extend their desired "rule" requirement to all forms of recording in public

Just because idiots being recorded and uploaded onto youtube might be from a dashcam, it's not really any different from footage filmed in public from ANY other camera source, i.e. people filming with phones, and then uploaded to youtube/facebook

Good look with that, I say!

I just saw this article on the BBC News website in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39999009

The AA are a company offering car insurance and vehicle recovery services where you pay each year to be covered so if you breakdown they will come and help you. One of their competitors here in the UK the RAC are offering their own dashcams, and it is interesting to hear the AA saying that dashcams should potentially be restricted in the UK. IF they had their own products they wouldn't be saying anything like this.

Interestingly the article says that the UK Police are now encouraging dashcam footage to be sent to them whereas this organisation is saying that tighter rules should be put into place.
so, if rule in your country change, you may want to sale off your camera or simply give away. Remember to tab me on. ;) :D

it'd be awful if our country demolished a market that's doing so well here and climbing so fast

I wouldn't stop using dashcams even if they were banned

I think at best here they "could" try to stop people sharing the footage, but I doubt they'd ever manage to stop dashcam use altogether

It's almost a necessity in some areas here with high risk of fraudulent car crash insurance claims, and the police constantly begging for witness footage

Plus, how grateful would someone be in a very serious incident if they found out a witness had video evidence in their favour, when people lie so much!!

On TV here a few weeks ago there was a crash, a witness who said it happened in the blink of an eye, he was adamant that a lady was driving too fast because the car she hit ended up on its roof... however, her cam footage proved she was travelling much less than 30mph (48kmh).

damn near all our insurance companies are in favour of dashcams anyway, and offer discounts. My insurers don't even know I have cams

Last edited:
And in the UK there is no reasonable expectation of privacy on the public highway!

I wonder what they mean by vehicular voyeurism and who is going to accuse whom of that? The AA?

what they mean is they don't like other people being the ones to get the traffic from video posted, losing their grip on the content is the issue

Sounds like they have been infiltrated by Mr PoliceWitness.com, next stage will be him setting up a server where he gets to view all video from AA sold dashcams and decide if it should be sent to the police, but you will not be able to view it yourself!

I'm sure if they go much further with this then there will be a lot of members moving their membership elsewhere...

If you don't want to be seen doing something, then simply do not do it where it can be seen. If you do something in public you can expect that it will be seen. And if it is seen and recorded then posted online what complaint can you really have since it is an accurate depiction of you?

That is why I always carefully brush my one tooth and carefully comb both strands of my hair to conceal my baldness and look more appealing to the fairer sex before I leave home every day when my pic goes online from someone elses dashcam footage :ROFLMAO:

Phil

That is why I always carefully brush my one tooth and carefully comb both strands of my hair to conceal my baldness and look more appealing to the fairer sex before I leave home every day when my pic goes online from someone elses dashcam footage :ROFLMAO:

Phil
Does it work? :)

Recording with a camera in the car are just fine here, the problem arise when people like me put that footage out in public on youtube.

But as i cant call the police when i see a crime being committed and get the response you would assume you can and should get, and have to get media involved to get any response at all from the police.

Well then i will keep breaking the law, and i will only stop when a judge demand it, and even then i will strongly protest that ruling.

I have observed some really bad driving from the Canadian Automobile Association vehicles. If the UK AA drove anything like the CAA does, it wouldn't surprise me that UK AA wouldn't want cars with dash cams uploading videos of how their employees drive. This morning, there was a CAA tow truck that made lane changes without turn signals. A few months, ago I had aggressive CAA tow truck behind me screaming as I waited in the queue, he then passed me and cut cars off in front. The glare from the old front camera was too bad to post. Years ago, I almost got in a collusion with one.

Some of CAA drivers are really bad. CAA, though is one the proponents of slowing down and moving to another lane when approaching a tow truck with amber lights. If I understand correctly, the UK has no such law.

According to wikipedia, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Automobile_Association), the UK version of AA has a history of warning drivers about speed traps. As far back as 1910 of going to court over the matter.

CAA and AAA (American Auto Association) are affiliated with each other, but it appears neither have a connection with UK AA.

Last edited:
CAA and AAA (American Auto Association) are affiliated with each other, but it appears neither have a connection with UK AA.
For some reason we don't see many USA or Canadian cars on the roads here, maybe there aren't many of you that would benefit from being able to use our AA service via an affiliation?

I think most of our AA drivers actually drive quite well, although their vans seem to be very underpowered, I guess this is a result of an incident one of their bosses had. We have no need for dashcam laws, we already have privacy laws etc to deal with the problems mentioned.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
niko Dash Cam Discussion 0
Back