The usual question

Ohliuw

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am looking for front/rear combo without screen with good low light performance and wide angle to catch the sides while parked.

I park for 8-9 hours daily in indoor garage, and I would like to be able to record all the time (so I guess a cam that allows to configure lower FPS while parked?)

Viofo and SG have screens, F800 pro seems overkill, so looking for something up to $200.

Thanks

When you for some reason don't want a screen it get hard, not least if you also want dual channel, and anything but the usual trinket parking mode.
you do know the screens go out after a few seconds if you want to, or up to 5 minutes again if you choose to, and then it remain out until you press a button to wake up the screen.
And the screen are not a determining factor in the cameras size,,, or that is not for other companies than the few that seem to think a screen can not be large enough.
And if you want to record in your garage, you are better off with a CCTV camera.

Well, having screen is ok, but At least the design should be stylish (I just don’t like the SG and viofo design)

As for the garage - it’s not my garage, it’s hug public parking lot, so obviously I can’t install security cameras.

You could have a look at the Mini 0906 but it's reputation for reliability and longevity isn't as high as it once was. Rexing also has a decent 2-channel model but it's also a 'wedge cam" form-factor like Viofo and SG. Hard to recommend much when you eliminate what I feel are the best candidates for the job.

You might also consider using two separate cams. The B1W is small, sleek, reliable, and one of the best dashcam values out there. It will of course require extra wiring for installing one in the rear but it would be a good cam for your purposes and with 128GB cards (which are cheap ATM) you'd have all the coverage time you want. The F1 also fits the bill here witgh a different small form-factor which might work better for you.

However you go you're not going to get much side coverage with the usual installations on or at the glass front and rear. One of the "taxi" cams might increase your rear coverage somewhat but they're usually focused for closer shots and can't see low up close details like license plates because the car blocks that view. Their is really no good dashcam solution for parking protection without having at least 4 cameras to cover everything and that gets to be complex and costly. In the end cams don't actually protect you anyway- all they do is possibly identify a culprit so that the Police and insurers can take action after they do their deed and run away; you're still left with a damaged vehicle. I feel that a good F+R cam system is going to do most of which can be done as you usually get a good view of things from there at some point as people and cars pass by so making an ID is usually possible with no more than that if it can be done at all.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

Actually Rexing looks more appealing to me as design, but it doesn’t use the starvis sensor :(

Do the 129 or the F800 let me program custom FPS when parked?

Not sure about setting the FPS, but if that can be done it would probably be the A129. The Rexing might use the Sony IMX323; their single channel "Pro" version does. Not classified as a "Starvis" sensor but it does well in low-light anyway. Daytime footage with it will not be as good as the others.

Phil

Back