The Viofo a139 camera freezes and gets hot when it's sunny

Yes, my camera is in therapy for a host of unresolved issues. Just mentioned, as I didn't know if the two channel bug is an issue in 1.1 or just my camera gain. Which is why I mentioned, but stated could just be my camera.

I believe replacement should arrive this week. I HOPE TO HELL it resolves the issues.
There are many users of v1.1 with no such issue...

Issue is accessibility. If the cameras go to a main unit that contains memory card, then you can't see the lights to know it's recording. So you'd need an auditory prompt like the A139. Problem is if unit freezes, and there's no auditory alert due to freeze, you'd never know if there's a problem.

So bringing the main unit out of sunlight is great, but there might have to be some other connection attaching to the main unit (like something you could attach to windshield) to show LEDS when things are working or not working.
I don't see a reason why wouldn't be possible to let the LEDs on one of channels as a front unit. One would probably still need buttons as well anyway.

There are many users of v1.1 with no such issue...

True.

I don't see a reason why wouldn't be possible to let the LEDs on one of channels as a front unit. One would probably still need buttons as well anyway.

Would need buttons and LEDS. But could have the DVR box responsible for connecting all 3 cameras + writing to SD card tucked under glove box as a separate unit. I think that would resolve a lot of the issues that 3 channel cameras pose.

Would need buttons and LEDS. But could have the DVR box responsible for connecting all 3 cameras + writing to SD card tucked under glove box as a separate unit. I think that would resolve a lot of the issues that 3 channel cameras pose.
I think that was @Kremmen's point as well (and I agree with that). I've only reacted to your "accessibility issue" (actually even A139 uses LED on one of its remote channels...). The "base" unit then does need basically nothing but SDcard slot and power connector.

Not using parking cameras as a dashcam I see as a missed opportunity for every car manufacturer. But still, if somebody tried that, it's more like a half-baked solution, probably only Tesla was able to handle that perfectly. Here is BMW's approach which, despite offering 360° surround view for parking, it downscales the resolution of cameras a crops it to look better (it's usable but only as an additional evidence next to a proper dashcam), not to mention it's only available during drive.

Last edited:
I think that was @Kremmen's point as well (and I agree with that). I've only reacted to your "accessibility issue" (actually even A139 uses LED on one of its remote channels...). The "base" unit then does need basically nothing expect SDcard slot and power connector.

Not using parking cameras as a dashcam I see as a missed opportunity for every car manufacturer. But still, if somebody tried that, it's more like a half-baked solution, probably only Tesla was able to handle that perfectly. Here is BMW's approach which, despite offering 360° surround view for parking, it downscales the resolution of cameras a crops it to look better (it's usable but only as an additional evidence next to a proper dashcam), not to mention it's only available during drive.

Someone mentioned on here about their Tesla Cams not being the most reliable, and having missed events in parking mode. One hindrance to manufacturers enabling cameras for recording is liability. If this feature fails to capture an event, would a million lawyers be lining up to sue? Could a disclaimer absolve manufacturers here? I mean I think this is the reluctance for big manufacturers like Ford, Chevy, GM etc etc to enter this market.

So for now, we rely upon mostly 3rd party vendors.

I do hope my replacement A139 works. I believe the A139 is a good concept and the best available on the market if my replacement unit prove reliable.

Tesla built in cameras are far from perfect

Speaking of freezes, mine froze today as I was scrolling down the list of videos for playback today. I had to unplug the power (at first I thought it was just the app hanging, or WiFi not responding ... then I dawned on me that the camera wasn't responding). After rebooting it seems to be OK for the rest of the session.

I wonder what is the critical temp. for A139. I have 3ch and my unit reaches usually 60°C during recording, ambient temp around 24°C. It still works fine but I wonder how long it can operate on such high temperature ? ...or even better, when it will blow up. ;-(

@Nath you posted infrared picture, interesting it reaches only 48°C but seems you have 2CH only, right ? Interesting that in my case it seems the highest temp is actually over the label "Viofo", while in your case it is around the ventilation holes which make more sense....unfortunately I have just infrared thermometer.

Thank you.

@Sharkys In that picture it's only 2Ch, yes. But otherwise I have also the 3rd channel, it only wasn't mounted at that time. :)

Part of the problem with these measurements is that the heatsink is reflective and the actual temperature could be even higher, it's just "hidden" in lower resolution and focus. For instance when I measured 55°C through the vents in 3Ch mode, after mounting macro lens I found out it's actually 60°C.

Unfortunately I hadn't much time during the hottest days of summer to particularly monitor temperatures of my dashcams. I only mounted a thermometer in my car and was checking if they failed or not (so far even when ambient temperature in my car reached 75°C, they worked), the only interesting moment was that when my rear unit's VHB tape failed and fell off. :D

Last edited:
Thank you Nath....then it's bad, if the max. operational temperature of capacitors WEC3R0106QA seems to be 65C ... so it means they will die soon(er)....that wasn't probably a good choice unless Viofo is using some others capacitors.

1626859592881.png

I wonder what is the critical temp. for A139. I have 3ch and my unit reaches usually 60°C during recording, ambient temp around 24°C. It still works fine but I wonder how long it can operate on such high temperature ? ...or even better, when it will blow up. ;-(

@Nath you posted infrared picture, interesting it reaches only 48°C but seems you have 2CH only, right ? Interesting that in my case it seems the highest temp is actually over the label "Viofo", while in your case it is around the ventilation holes which make more sense....unfortunately I have just infrared thermometer.

Thank you.

See my thread. I believe it's somewhere around 65-70C on the A139 3 Channel. Running a new test to see if anything changes on corruption with overheat by using a Samsung Pro Select that @SawMaster uses.

You mean https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/not-a-happy-camper-with-the-a139.44821/page-21 ?
Long thread....something I was expecting. Anyway, for me new SDCard didn't lower the temp...I have even opened thread directly on Viofo forum - https://www.viofo.com/community/index.php?threads/a139-temperature.27587/

Well the two issues I am working on addressing / troubleshooting.

1. On a Sandisk A2 Extreme + Sandisk High Endurance, the Camera overheats and corrupts the last files being written. Bought a Samsung Pro Select 128GB..

Goal: To test if camera still overheats with a different brand SD card. And if it overheats, do the files still corrupt.

2. Cable Issue. I may have semi figured out the problem. But will mess with this one more. My cables were super touchy.

I've got a theory now, but will work on this more after I do the heat testing. To test things out a bit more in depth.

So to update everyone both in my thread and here.

I've had 2 cameras now. My first one and the replacement. Tested a Sandisk A2 Extreme 256GB, Sandisk High Endurance, and a Samsung Pro Select 128GB. No matter the card, both cameras eventually overheat. And no matter the card (all 3), when the camera overheats, the last file being written is corrupt.

I suspect others aren't seeing this issue for a few reasons:

1. @SawMaster has a work van. Far more cubic space to heat up than a Volvo Sedan.
2. I own a darker color car. Darker colors heat up faster.
3. Others either don't park in direct sunlight to test overheating or aren't testing on the sunniest and hottest days.

Either way, both cameras act in the same manner, leading me to believe that after a bit in the very hot sun, the camera reaches a Thermal Max, and shuts down spontaneously before writing the final file.

Regards the cabling issues...

I'll post an update on that part a bit later.

Thank you Nath....then it's bad, if the max. operational temperature of capacitors WEC3R0106QA seems to be 65C ... so it means they will die soon(er)....that wasn't probably a good choice unless Viofo is using some others capacitors.

View attachment 57524

This seems to be pretty accurate AND A POOR CHOICE by Viofo. So basically, this camera will shut itself off in hot summer weather during park mode. Whether or not this capacitor was used because other components cannot withstand temps above 65C, I don't know. But a car reaches 65C pretty quick in summer even on a 27C day with the sun shining.

Parking your car in more shade I guess is only solution. I'll keep this camera because at least I get far better 360 degree coverage (due to 3 individual cameras) than the Zenfox and it's a less intrusive design.

Honestly, Viofo should have made a MAIN UNIT that could go under the glove box and had the wires feed from there to the cameras. This would have avoided any heat issues.

Out of curiosity, how come Viofo or other manufacturers don't do a setup like this: Where main unit is out of the sunlight (under carpet of glove box or elsewhere) and wires run from the main unit to each of the 3 cameras. This would 100% fix overheating issues.

You could have a blutooth button or something control settings like play, wifi, etc I imagine mounted elsewhere too.

setud.jpg

Has the overheating issue been resolved with the A139 3 channel? I just bought one and about to install. I plan to use the lowest settings and also low-bitrate in Parking Mode.

Back