The VIOFO sticky mount & hot days

Indeed a beefy cam

From experience, I have no confidence in my ability to position the camera correctly before the 3M tape grabs onto the windshield. So, I am thinking to try a combination of static film and 3M dual lock strips, one on the film, the other on the GPS mount. I am hoping that this will make it easier to position, or inevitably reposition, the camera plus make removal easier. The alternative is 3M dual lock directly onto the windshield and skip the static film. I would appreciate any thoughts on these options. Thanks.

From experience, I have no confidence in my ability to position the camera correctly before the 3M tape grabs onto the windshield. So, I am thinking to try a combination of static film and 3M dual lock strips, one on the film, the other on the GPS mount. I am hoping that this will make it easier to position, or inevitably reposition, the camera plus make removal easier. The alternative is 3M dual lock directly onto the windshield and skip the static film. I would appreciate any thoughts on these options. Thanks.
Get the live view on your phone, so that you can see when it is correct, put the camera in place, with the 3M still covered, move the camera until you have the image you want, place a piece of tape or postit note under the camera and at one side of the camera, to mark its position. Remove the 3M backing cover, stick the camera in place using the tape as a guide.

I like to use blue painter's tape as it's secure and pulls right off when done but Postit™ notes sound good too.

Get the live view on your phone, so that you can see when it is correct, put the camera in place, with the 3M still covered, move the camera until you have the image you want, place a piece of tape or postit note under the camera and at one side of the camera, to mark its position. Remove the 3M backing cover, stick the camera in place using the tape as a guide.
Thanks.
I have tried variations of that in the past but too often the tape grabs and sticks before I have the mount lined up with my marker and the camera will be titled slightly. I suspect I have a vision or neurological problem because even when I am taking photos they always seen to tilt to one side.‍ :). I am thinking that with the dual locks I could lift and reposition the camera if necessary . First world problem for sure, I can still get good, clear video but I would like to get it right.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I have tried variations of that in the past but too often the tape grabs and sticks before I have the mount lined up with my marker and the camera will be titled slightly. I suspect I have a vision or neurological problem because even when I am taking photos they always seen to tilt to one side.‍ :). I am thinking that with the dual locks I could lift and reposition the camera if necessary . First world problem for sure, I can still get good, clear video but I would like to get it right.

When you go to attach the camera mount try applying it along one edge, ever so gently until you feel confident that you've got it pretty well aligned and then tilt it towards the glass without letting the entire surface touch. This way, if you mess up you can still pull if off and try again. Then when you are satisfied press the whole thing against the glass.

When you go to attach the camera mount try applying it along one edge, ever so gently until you feel confident that you've got it pretty well aligned and then tilt it towards the glass without letting the entire surface touch. This way, if you mess up you can still pull if off and try again. Then when you are satisfied press the whole thing against the glass.
Thanks. I will give it a go with my ever tightening sphincter.;-).

This is good general advice but what are your thoughts on the two 3M dual lock options I described?

When you go to attach the camera mount try applying it along one edge,
You should do this anyway to avoid getting air bubbles under the tape, although you always end up with one bubble with a dashcam.
If you have only stuck one edge, or one corner, then the tape will pull off again reasonably easily, allowing a second try.

I like to use blue painter's tape as it's secure and pulls right off when done but Postit™ notes sound good too.
Postit notes are really good, the blue painters tape is pretty good, unless it is a year or two old, then it no longer sticks properly! Postit notes stay sticky forever.

If you are using the static sticker, you can use a marker pen, if you are not too worried about leaving an unnecessary pen mark on the sticker.

Thanks Nigel and Dashmellow.

I made a mess of my first attempt and am waiting for Viofo to deliver me a new set of static films and 3M tapes hence my questions. I am not a total newbie, just a little incompetent ;-) I have already installed 2 Viofo A119V3s, admittedly each of which has a slight tilt off the horizontal. :)

Thanks Nigel and Dashmellow.

I made a mess of my first attempt and am waiting for Viofo to deliver me a new set of static films and 3M tapes hence my questions. I am not a total newbie, just a little incompetent ;-) I have already installed 2 Viofo A119V3s, admittedly each of which has a slight tilt off the horizontal. :)
If you fail again, then maybe the velcro is the way to go, but I tend to find that needs adjusting multiple times to get it perfect, while I am normally happy with the sticky pads even without checking the live view!

Back