The wishlist for motorcycle and ridding camera

I've also found that people seem to like the videos when it is either mounted to my helmet or when you can see a part of the motorcycle in the shot. Some have said that they start to feel disoriented when there is no reference point for the motion like in one of my early videos.

But when you add a static part of the motorcycle or helmet motion it seems to be less disorienting

One of the most effective anti-jello vibration mounts I've seen was made by mounting the camera solidly to an alloy plate to give it more mass. This was then glued to another plate using 4 squishy type earplugs about 2cm tall (pointy bits cut off) in the corners... sort of like a low 4 poster bed with the camera on the top plate. The bottom plate was then solidly fixed to the passenger footpeg.

The squidgy earplug sponge material dampens the vibration really well as it absorbs the movement without "recoil" and the extra mass of the plate helps stabilize it . I haven't tried it myself, but there is a video on YouTube which is impressive.

It's not the video I had in mind, but here's a link to a similar style mount. However, the plates are made from balsa wood. The guy does some interesting tests at the end of the video.

The R.C. flying community have problems with high speed vibration on their multi-rotor helicopters. They have some ingenious vibration solutions using silicon fuel tubing or foam earplugs.

I'm new to the forum but I have been mounting cameras to my motorcycles and helmets for a few years and the red arrows on the pics of two of my motorcycles are where I have mounted them the most of the time. Most of the mounts on the motorcycles have either a tab bolted to a bracket or a u-bolt type clamp either made by me or using some Ram mounts components. The helmet mounts have been all adhesive with VHB 3m tape or epoxied onto the helmet.
The biggest problem that I have had has been vibration dampening to get rid of the "jello effect" when accelerating the engine on most of my motorcycles. A lightweight mount always seems to amplify this problem when mounted to some parts of the motorcycle.
Offering a mount for C3 that can use the Ram mount components would be a good idea in my opinion as the mount system is very well made and is already used by many motorcyclists to mount other items on their bikes.
I can give you more specific information on the mounts that I have used if you'd like.

The new designed bullet lens clip with the nut allows you to mount it where you pointed by supper arms.

INNOVV C3 mount.jpg

One of the most effective anti-jello vibration mounts I've seen was made by mounting the camera solidly to an alloy plate to give it more mass. This was then glued to another plate using 4 squishy type earplugs about 2cm tall (pointy bits cut off) in the corners... sort of like a low 4 poster bed with the camera on the top plate. The bottom plate was then solidly fixed to the passenger footpeg.

The squidgy earplug sponge material dampens the vibration really well as it absorbs the movement without "recoil" and the extra mass of the plate helps stabilize it . I haven't tried it myself, but there is a video on YouTube which is impressive.

This type of vibration damping system can work extremely well but such designs can be dramatically enhanced by using a more appropriate material than foam earplugs. Sorbothane is a highly durable rubber-like visco-elastic polymer (exhibits properties of both liquids & solids) that has rather remarkable vibration damping and shock absorbing properties, attenuating them by as much as 95%. You can buy it in various forms such as sheets and bushings.

See also: http://www.sorbothane.com/

http://www.sorbothane.com/blog/isolating-vibration/

@Dashmellow, your information is very helpful!

Once the C3 released, Let's see how the mounts and vibration works,
and encourage people to make the best optimized solution base on C3.

That would be very interesting. ;)

Sorbothane is indeed brilliant stuff! despite what the above website says, many Sorbothane products were made in the UK, don't know if they still are. Being a liquid in its uncured state, it can be poured into moulds to make plain or complex shapes. Some of the things made were for Hi-Fi turntable mounts, rifle butts, pnuematic drill handles etc.. so a small camera mount shouldn't be a problem.
(The main product was for shock absorbing sports insoles & footbeds.)

Frank

Looking forward to the Motorcycle cameras @RockThinking. In fact we use Innovv C1 for that purpose in our place :). We usually mount it on our helmets and uses it as an action-camera.

Just sharing a news from our local Newspaper published today (just look at the picture, I am pretty sure you are not going to understand the language).

bikers.jpg

Inside the red box you can find an Innovv C1 mounted on the handlebar with the weatherproof case.

And now about the news(I am not going to translate the whole thing, just the relevant points)

Title: Finding India on a Two Wheeler.

The two guys traveled for 44 days, 16000 km across India on that motorcycle on the picture.One is a photographer and the second guy is the Secretary of a Rider's Club here. The trip was a self sponsored one to spread awareness about organ transplant across India. Next they are planning a European trip for the same.
----end of story-----

The good thing is RockThinking, the camera stood well in the harsh Indian climate :cool:. The video editing is under progress. They are not in dashcamtalk forum, otherwise we could have got some feedback from them on motorcycle cameras. Anyway if I get a chance, I will ask them and inform you guys.

@Jawad, thanks for the good news, and I am encouraged!!:cool:

Look forward to their feedback and videos.

If possible, Let's get contacted with two guys, and listen to them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I said the link was on Techmoan's site :D
Frank

It is a bit interesting,
I have communication with Techmoan about C3,
but I do not think he already put the link related C3 in somewhere in his site.

Do you mean the link from his review on C1?

If you go to Matt (Techmoan's) site at www.techmoan.com and scroll down you'll come to a blue sidebar on the right where he puts his latest news. He wrote "A while ago Innovv asked me what features to add to their next mini HD camera. Well they've only gone and done it...http://t.co/vMVaJOCXOc"
HTH
Frank

Back