The wishlist for motorcycle and ridding camera

If you go to Matt (Techmoan's) site at www.techmoan.com and scroll down you'll come to a blue sidebar on the right where he puts his latest news. He wrote "A while ago Innovv asked me what features to add to their next mini HD camera. Well they've only gone and done it...http://t.co/vMVaJOCXOc"
HTH
Frank

Haha, You are the fan of Techmoan.

As Jokiin mentioned it is the feed twitter.;)

Techmoan's post for INNOVV.JPG

Haha, You are the fan of Techmoan.
One of many :) I like his straight talking, honest reviews. If something is not up to par, he will say so. It will be interesting to see & hear what he has to say about the C3
I don't do Twitter, Facebook or any of the others though. :eek:

Frank

I will be same as you as his fans.
I do watched all videos he reviewed about cameras and the people's comment.
Also I have communications with him because many people send their needs to him.
The above is the good to learn what people's need and develop a product to fit people's need.

The C3 is the right example. ;)

The mount type is a non-starter for me. I drive a 100cc scooter daily as do millions of other people here in Asia. I make 20 or more trips a day and want a fixed, auto start, water proof solution. I like the idea of putting it in the inside of one of the mirrors, with it hard wired to the ACC wire like most car dash cams. I don't want to worry about it while parked and any on a handle bar mount would most likely get stolen. A small lens circle coming from the front of the mirror would be fairly discrete. I have seen many people mount cameras on motorcycles but this is too much trouble for a daily driver who wants to record all the time in case of an accident.

I would not expect this to be HD as it would have to be so small. Anyway I am looking around for a cam small enough to do it my self.

If the innovv cam part was 2/3 shorter it might fit inside a side view mirror. Hopefully some day.

Get your idea, you do need the camera unit to be smaller for the best fitting inside of side view mirror.

Let us keep discussion what else people need for the next product.

The mount type is a non-starter for me. I drive a 100cc scooter daily as do millions of other people here in Asia. I make 20 or more trips a day and want a fixed, auto start, water proof solution. I like the idea of putting it in the inside of one of the mirrors, with it hard wired to the ACC wire like most car dash cams. I don't want to worry about it while parked and any on a handle bar mount would most likely get stolen. A small lens circle coming from the front of the mirror would be fairly discrete. I have seen many people mount cameras on motorcycles but this is too much trouble for a daily driver who wants to record all the time in case of an accident.

Wouldn't locating the camera in the mirror be a higher risk ? If the mirror(s) are attached to the handlebars, I would think they're at a greater risk of damage.

Wouldn't locating the camera in the mirror be a higher risk ? If the mirror(s) are attached to the handlebars, I would think they're at a greater risk of damage.
On most scooters they are made to bend back if there is contact. It is about 1 to 2 inches forewords back words up and down. They are different from motorcycle mirrors which take much more pressure to adjust. I do park in tight places and they are knocked out of position often but not with much force as they are lightly clipped. Sure it is possible it could be damaged but usually the very edges of the mirrors take the impact. In the last 10 years I think I clipped 2 car side view mirrors at speed.

I think the reason it would be appealing to a manufacture as most scooter mirrors (Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki) are standard and interchangeable. They could sell a set with the camera being inside one of them. It really amazing how many accidents and near misses I see daily.

I actually used to drive my car very seldom because of so many scooters cutting in front of me, but since I have a 0803 I drive much more often. I just wish I could have the same for my scooter.

During the summer I've been using a Drift Ghost S action camera on my bike it has excellent build quality and produces very good smooth motion video, it's heavy though and it's difficult to resilianly mount the camera to kill the vibrations from the frame to the camera...I'am working on it but it's taking time.

YouTube compressed...actual picture quality is very clear.

So specs for a dedicated bike cam...1080p or better at 60fps for smooth motion video, light weight so it's mass doesn't work against it effecting the picture quality, Gorilla glass lens to resist stones and debris, has to have a small frontal section to remain hidden and an external mic connection so a microphone can be mounted out of the wind blast.

A Gorilla Glass lens protector would be a very nice addition to a motorcycle camera but a camera lens made from Gorilla Glass is just not in the cards. Gorilla Glass does not have the required material or optical properties and it is manufactured in very thin sheets intended for flat panel screens like smartphones and tablets. A strong potential competitor to Gorilla Glass is sapphire which is also used in smart cams and optical grade grown sapphire glass is available and is indeed currently used in specialized lenses, often for scientific applications in the front surface optics because of its chemical & erosion resistant properties. Unfortunately, this material will never likely be used in motorcycle cams because sapphire lenses are very costly. Apple and LG use sapphire lenses in some their recent phones and it is also used in some watch crystals.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this material will never likely be used in motorcycle cams because sapphire lenses are very costly. Apple and LG use sapphire lenses in some their recent phones and it is also used in some watch crystals.

You are telling the face, that is cost sensitive, but I believe once it going to be used on every phone, it is time to put on motorcycle cameras as the price is going to down.

You are telling the face, that is cost sensitive, but I believe once it going to be used on every phone, it is time to put on motorcycle cameras as the price is going to down.

I think we are talking about two different things here Rock, so let me clarify.

Apple and LG have begun to use sapphire glass as the actual camera lens optical elements in their devices.

The "face" is a different thing. This would be the glass screen of a smartphone or tablet computer and in this case, yes, I think you are right that the prices should come down for this purpose.

It may be that camera lenses made from sapphire glass will come down in price too but for now I think they are probably too expensive for manufacturers to incorporate in dash cam. Of course, you would know more than me about this.

It would be a great feature if the C3 could have a sapphire or gorilla glass protector in front of the lens optics.

I think we are talking about two different things here Rock, so let me clarify.

Apple and LG have begun to use sapphire glass as the actual camera lens optical elements in their devices.

The "face" is a different thing. This would be the glass screen of a smartphone or tablet computer and in this case, yes, I think you are right that the prices should come down for this purpose.

I just found the wrong typing I made, Should be "Fact", you are telling the fact, the truth, not the "Face" I typed. o_O

Does Innovv have a solution for 2 channel dashcam (for deployment on bikes of course)? ie. 1 for front and one for rear.

Does Innovv have a solution for 2 channel dashcam (for deployment on bikes of course)? ie. 1 for front and one for rear.

We are collecting people's demand. ;)

I have the Oregon Scientific ATC Chameleon Dual Lens Action camera. It can record front and back but it's a bit bulky but I attach it to my passenger pegs. It'd be nice to see a C3 with 2 hdmi inputs. So you can have to 2 cameras.

ATCC_pic_2.jpg

Last edited:
For me as a motorcycle driver the most important things for a motorcycle camera are:
  • discrete because I don't want to look like some kind of idiot with a camera on my helmet
  • some kind of wide angle lens because then it doen't looks too shaky

For me as a motorcycle driver the most important things for a motorcycle camera are:
  • discrete because I don't want to look like some kind of idiot with a camera on my helmet
  • some kind of wide angle lens because then it doen't looks too shaky

Discreteness is also one of top priorities ( after reliability ) for car drivers.
With wide angle lens there is a dilemma: the wider FOV , further objects = less details reading. The narrower FOV, the closer objects = more details readings, but for biker of course slightly more vibrations in the video. With present technologies used in dashcams ( motorbikesrs cams ) we always have to make compromises.

I have the Oregon Scientific ATC Chameleon Dual Lens Action camera.

"Oregon Scientific", - this name I havn't heard for long long time. About 15y ago Oregon Scientific was my first pocket digital camera. It was an average model, but one of the most compact at that time I could afford.

Back