Theft of Camera, Concern for

DroMike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S (pending)
I'm about to purchase my first dashcam, and may very well go w/the new 4K BlackVue about to be released in a few days(still researching and waiting on hands-on reviews). This particular camera and some other dashcams can be fairly extensive obviously. If I end up spending upwards of $500-$700 on a camera setup, given that the camera(s) is (are) in plain view in the windshield(s) -- not unlike leaving a GPS unit on your dashboard when you're away from your car -- how concerned are you (or should one be) about a thief spotting it and breaking into you car to steal it? Or alternatively, has anybody heard about dashcams being a regular target for thieves? Any thoughts or 2-cent opinions welcome!

Thank you kindly,
Mike (you know, in the 'Dro)

Well you do not want to put it right smack in the middle of the windscreen, not quite sure with these but most cameras you can install on the dotted area of the windscreen so its just the lens that peek down below and are visible.
The wedge cameras often come off as some sort of factory sensor array, not quite the same for the barrel type cameras.
Most dashcams can also be removed from their mount, but its never a option i have considered myself, and i do have cameras for a small fortune too on my windscreen.

Only dashcam / thief i have seen heard about is that video from Russia where a thief steel a parking mode camera and loose it after a little running.

In general the awareness of dashcams and their potential cash value are still little known at least here in the west.
And still a carjacker can steal a car with dashcam, and never notice it, and that's a camera that appear to be hanging right in front of the driver.

That's very interesting. Thank you for both for taking the time to provide your insights and posting of those revealing videos (kamkar)! - Mike

Over 5 years of doing dashcams I've only had one customer ever contact us to tell us his camera was stolen, about three years ago, it was a larger suction cup mounted camera (SGZC12SG) that was stolen from his truck, the whole truck was ransacked though so the camera was possibly just part of the haul rather than the intended target of the theft

I had a car break in. The thief did not take the dash cam. Probably didn't notice it. They didn't have time to find my expensive GPS either.

Back