There are so many 'what cam should I buy?' threads

tomroscoe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are just so many 'what cam should I buy?' threads that I thought I'd post a link here to a little camera that I've tested and found to be exceptionally good. It's small, light, cheap, sharp, has very good audio and has performed faultlessly for 9 months now. It's called the SJ1000.

http://www.theiac.org.uk/news/Tom-Hardwick-review.pdf

I wonder if these autostart on ignition. they ARE action cams, and not really dash cams of course...

This has been thrown around a little here.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are indeed action cams in that they come complete with UWHousings, batteries, viewfinders, clamps, suckers, ties and so on. And they also switch on and record when power is fed to the USB socket and continue recording to save the file after the ignition has been switched off. They record in blocks so the card never 'runs out' and G sensors (and a button push) can manually lock any file to prevent over-recording. They have sensitive mics to record possible abusive aprés-accident conversations and as far as I can see make excellent dash-cams. No GPS or recorded MPH figures though - is that why you discount them benp?

Actually I just ordered one SJ4000. I don't really mind for GPS or MPH-figures. I just want a set-and-forget dash cam, and nowhere in the review was mentioned if they autostart.

But like tech moan said in his review of the sj4000, that cam looks too much like "the other famous one". And it would not be wise to use it as a dash cam which can be seen.

Lucky for me, I have the mobius as a discrete front facing cam, this SJ4000 will be used as a rearview dash cam. I have privacy tinted back windows, so it can't be seen from the outside anyway. But due to the location, I need it to autostart on ignition.

(and for holidays I could just take it out and use it as an action cam)

We should just have a dedicated thread stickied to the top of the page, just for this topic.

Back