Thermal dashcam

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Seem like the one i would like have been made long ago.

Nice thingy, like the defog feature,but I dont think 2-5 seconds do anything in drivers reaction time.

There's nice videos and reality,
in real life it's ridiculous even think that you should watch some separate little screen far away while you drive.
And if you drive in the dark you don't want bright screens in front of you even if you could place that screen closer to your eyesight.

What i welcome here is cheap mass produced chinese thermal sensor.

Don't the high-end BMW 7 and the Mercedes S class have these already?

They do, or at least its a option.

Yes i also see this more as a gimmick, i have tried to drive a Km or so on a highway in my car looking at the 7" screen of my head unit as it display a image from the front camera, and really that's highly dangerous and not something i can recommend people to do.

You are not supposed to drive by this, its just something you can give a quick glance in a situation, this is where the high end cars do better as i recall their systems are a HUD so the information are right there on the windscreen and you see it with your peripheral vision.

I would love to add thermal vision to my DIY night vision goggles :cool:

I think it's been asked about here before, but the main issue for most users would be mounting. Dashcams are typically mounted inside the cabin and there would be too much reflection and attenuation through the windshield. External mounting requires more complex mounting systems and weatherproofing, which drives costs up significantly.

KuoH

Seem like the one i would like have been made long ago.

kuoh made me think wtf and and here is what i found out.
First - it's not thermal.
It is infrared, there is thing called "laser infrared camera" which means that it's basically any camera with visible light blocking filter and the light for camera comes from ir-laser zoom light.
https://www.hkvstar.com/technology-news/what-s-laser-infrared-security-camera.html

I don't know where ir-light comes for this camera because i cannot see any laser unit anywhere, it may be that it uses ir-light thats coming from normal headlights but does LED headlights light have ir-light frequency in them?
Camera is sold here and it is interesting even thought i'm quite sure that they give you a little white lie what comes to ir-image resolution but that's normal in china dvr business.
https://yxteck.en.alibaba.com/produ...th_laser_radar_night_vision_clearly_view.html

And for reference here is a real theremal camera unit, it's starting from 1500 usd.
https://mh-elec.en.alibaba.com/prod...ive_Night_Vision_Car_Camera_Kit_For_Audi.html

It also go in line with what i have also mentioned a few times, me liking to have a dual channel but both cameras front facing but one being a camera good with IR, and then having a couple of IR lights where my car would have fog lights ( 940 Nm as i am not allowed to have visible red 840 Nm light on the front of my car )

Though i would also like 2 white lights to go where the fog lights would go, and they should each be 25 million lumen so i could use them to fry the eyes of other motorists that do the same to me with their high beam and or fog lights.

I passionate hate the people driving with their fog lights on cuz they think their car look better with 4 headlights, forum rules and Danish society rules forbid me to tell what i would like to do to such people, but lest just say its not nice and would clean up out collective gene-pool.

I have this tube form uv-light for money inspection and even though i cant see this light i feel that it's kinda hurting my eyes if i keep it close to my eyes,
so if eyes can "feel" bright uv light it would be good idea to shoot 25 million lumen uv light to back for tailgaiters,
soon they start to feel pain if they come too close:p

hehe no i want that to be white light, like 10 rally cars parked next to each other with all their night stage lights on full tilt.

BTW, today is historical day in finland, from now on it is legal to put third light on a car, before that it was only 2 or 4 lights.
20150629_220735.jpg

That look like a Hella Rally 100.000 :p

Here its pretty rare to see cars with extra lights, by far most will be 4x4 and then off course the occasional blind farmer as i call them with extra light on a regular car cuz out there where they live it get really dark.

Not that i dont understand those people, on my Bitsumishi L200 pickup i had extra high beams, and i used them every chance i got cuz 4 high beams put out a lot of light.

Not that i dont understand those people, on my Bitsumishi L200 pickup i had extra high beams, and i used them every chance i got cuz 4 high beams put out a lot of light.
Many years ago I worked with a guy who replaced his high beams with aircraft landing lights. Those put out a LOT of light. :eek::D

Future plan here is for some 'hidden' LED lighting in the grille openings of the van, an array of wide short range and separate long range lights. In time a 940Nm IR setup could go on the bucket list too, My halogen sealed beams are OK when my eyes get used to the dark but one oncoming car and then I need more light or another ten minutes darkness again to adjust. Gonna need a bigger alternator to handle what I have planned :whistle:

Something to remember with IR is that it can damage eyes permanently when too strong, and you wont feel a thing until its too late :( Use IR carefully and responsibly. The factory cam stuff is likely at safe levels but DIY lighting can far exceed safe limits :eek:

Phil

There is after all laser light with this dvr, it's in the license plate frame.
It is basically laser flashlight but it would be interesting to know some info like power because it is a laser product.
Specs says power consumption is 36W, i never calculated but isn't just dvr alone about 3 or 4 watts? It would be nice to know is this laser cannon legal or safe.

Edit.
If specs are correct this is ZLID laser product, basically very powerful invisible laser, maybe not dangerous at 50 meters but if you look straight in to laser light in front of car eye damage is very near.
Nice product but dangerous.

Last edited:
Back