They're joking, yeah?

LaLaLandPaddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Was getting close to pulling the trigger until I read this setup procedure:

Brand response from Thinkware Product Expert​

Posted 1 year ago.
Hello Jeff, Also for reference here is our directions for connecting to a vehicle hotspot! May make the process slightly easier.
1) Write Down your phone's SSID and Password for Hotspot. Ensure Hotspot on your smartphone has been turned OFF.
2) Open the Thinkware Cloud App and press the "Not Connected" Bar
3) Select Connect with another Device, then select your Dash Cam model.
4) Select Connect via Hotspot
5) Select Yes, to register the Hotspot.
6) First activate the Dash Cams WiFi and connect to the Thinkware Network.
7) Press Next, and enter your phone's hotspots SSID and Password.
8) Select, Next. The Dash Cam will now disconnect from WiFi and begin looking for a Hotspot.
9) Now Turn on your Phone’s Hotspot and DO NOT LEAVE the Hotspot Setting Screen.
10) Once you hear the Dash Cam say "Connected to the Internet" you can then open the Thinkware Cloud App.
11) Open the Connection Settings option.
12) Select hotspot settings, and select the + Symbol in the top right.
13) Input your cars hotspot's SSID and Password.
14) After the Input has been completed, tap the added Network to connect.
15) The Dash Cam will disconnect from the Phone's Hotspot and begin searching for the Cars Hotspot.
16) Turn off your smartphone's Hotspot.
17) Once you hear "Connected to the Internet" the Dash Cam has been connected to the Cars Hotspot.

Bloody hell!

well they could probably do some form of P2P easy setup just scanning a QR code, but there is a reason the US government will not work with anyone that have such cameras dangling on the wall.

I do use it for my home CCTV, but if i had any camera aimed at the inside of my apartment i would not use stuff like that.

Regarding home security cameras, I've had a couple of ArloQ cameras for quite a few years now and never had any problems.

Setup is indeed via QR code and if any new device tries to get at your feed then you get a message.

would expect that that's a one time setup process
Seems to be. And it might be good for noobs and the less-computer-literate to spell out each step this way, even if the more advanced folks would know things like how to connect a new device already ;)

Better to do it this way than to have to go through the trouble of explaining it to every 5th or 6th person because you didn't cover it well enough to begin with.

Phil

Was getting close to pulling the trigger until I read this setup procedure:

Brand response from Thinkware Product Expert​

Posted 1 year ago.
Hello Jeff, Also for reference here is our directions for connecting to a vehicle hotspot! May make the process slightly easier.
1) Write Down your phone's SSID and Password for Hotspot. Ensure Hotspot on your smartphone has been turned OFF.
2) Open the Thinkware Cloud App and press the "Not Connected" Bar
3) Select Connect with another Device, then select your Dash Cam model.
4) Select Connect via Hotspot
5) Select Yes, to register the Hotspot.
6) First activate the Dash Cams WiFi and connect to the Thinkware Network.
7) Press Next, and enter your phone's hotspots SSID and Password.
8) Select, Next. The Dash Cam will now disconnect from WiFi and begin looking for a Hotspot.
9) Now Turn on your Phone’s Hotspot and DO NOT LEAVE the Hotspot Setting Screen.
10) Once you hear the Dash Cam say "Connected to the Internet" you can then open the Thinkware Cloud App.
11) Open the Connection Settings option.
12) Select hotspot settings, and select the + Symbol in the top right.
13) Input your cars hotspot's SSID and Password.
14) After the Input has been completed, tap the added Network to connect.
15) The Dash Cam will disconnect from the Phone's Hotspot and begin searching for the Cars Hotspot.
16) Turn off your smartphone's Hotspot.
17) Once you hear "Connected to the Internet" the Dash Cam has been connected to the Cars Hotspot.

Bloody hell!
Excellent guide. Thanks. I am IT literate amongst other things, and I do applaud this post, although I will not be using it.

The how to file ( if the brand care at all to provide it ) for updating the firmware on a dashcam are about 50% of that list.
And i would still encourage people to keep their stuff up to date.

i'm still struggling with this, i got the same reply from support when i ask them how the heck do you connect to the hotspot.
It is so crazy that you have to jump through all those hoops to make it connect, and for what purpose really ?
I just checked the fine print that when it is connected to the hotspot of the car the only think you can access is cloud settgins !?!?!! why ????????

In order to go back and check files or change dashcam settings you have to disconnect, click on the wifi button and connect to the internal wifi of the dashcam, why ????
who is the genius behind that ???

Back