Think my installer installed my magic pro box wrong

Min Huebner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, recently had my 650 IR installed. I noticed I never saw any recordings when I tested it when the car was off. I finally found the magic pro box and noticed whenever the car is off the red light on the magic box also goes off. I am assuming this means it is not possible for recording when the car is off. I think the red light on the box should stay lit when the car is off for recording during motion and impact. Thanks

What kind of car do you drive? Can you snap pics of his install?

I had a quick look at the setup. There a several things that could cause it to not record, some obvious, some not so much. I'll continue with some questions:

1. Is the red (+ACC) wire connected to an ignition source?
2. Is the yellow (Battery) wire connected to constant power?
3. Is your vehicle powered by 12V or 24V battery and are the pins correctly positioned for the proper voltage?

Let's see if we can get answers to those questions to further diagnose the issue.

Last edited:
It's a BMW X6. I think he told me he did not wire it to a constant. I will try and get pictures. I appreciate it

It's a BMW X6. I think he told me he did not wire it to a constant. I will try and get pictures. I appreciate it

if no constant power then parking mode isn't going to happen, BMW's are tricky though as the cars computer can actively disconnect circuits that it decides shouldn't be drawing power

My truck does the same thing. If there is power draw from a certain circuit, it will shut it down.

One way around it is to connect the Yellow wire directly to the battery. There should be at least one grommet in your firewall that will allow access from inside to your car battery.

You will have to find constant power for sure if you want parking mode. When poking around you might as well check if your battery has clamp terminals or screw on.

One way around it is to connect the Yellow wire directly to the battery. .

that's what generally happens, from what I understand this can still cause issues in some cases as although the computer can't see that circuit it still sees current draw so can at times shut off other circuits which are connected to permanent power, I think vehicles like this are part of the reason products like the CellinkB end up being used

CANBUS.

I have multiple devices wired directly to the battery of my BMW and have no CANBUS ill-effects.

Thanks. I think I will tell him to wire directly to the battery.

We belong to an electric car group & most of them don't worry about 12v getting pulled down because power is recharged to the 12v through the main traction pack. Many of those packs could provide 240v to a home for over a week. [emoji33] Even so, there is a constant drain on the 12v system that continually has to deliver power for heating, cooling of the traction pack, as well as internet connection that enables cabin heat/cooling, seat heating/cooling - remote status logging, hardware upgrades ETC. So - many of them will still install the teeny backvue 12v backup power system. The universal source they prefer to draw power from (either direct camera power or to recharge the blackvue 12v battery) always seems be the OBD port. Virtually, if not all cars seem to provide a pair of free 12v pins (positive & neg) among all the other OBD modular pins. You can go to an automotive parts store, or on Amazon & buy an OBD modular connector that typically provides a male 12v barrel connector on the opposite end (see example)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B002BHX1X8Cut the male connection off - then you (also) buy a 12v female cigarette/barrel connector.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B071R5YNZVEither solder or butt splice the 2 essential items together & voilà - you now have a permanent 'on' connection for your teeny blackvue backup power source. The setup a lot cleaner than running a wire to some other power source - even cleaner than wiring into a fuse connection.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
CANBUS.

I have multiple devices wired directly to the battery of my BMW and have no CANBUS ill-effects.

Hi, just wondering if your BMW gives you the message high battery drain every time you start your car? Mine does record in parking mode now but its so useless since even at level 1 it records every minute inside and outside. it recorded over my entire sd card for nothing. even at setting zero, I have high battery drain message when I start.

Sorry, don't own a BMW car and don't use parking mode.

Back