Thinking about buying two of these Z7's

ChelseaCat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all and thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I have a Carcam III X8000 for my taxi and its been a great camera and came in very handy in the past for police matters but now its not working and keeps shutting down and I cannot find another, the ones that look like it Im sure are copies.

So I was looking around for another unit and came across this forum and read on about the Z7 and also looked at the videos, they seem pretty good to me and I wondered if anyone can answer a few questions for me please.

1) How does the quality of this cam stack up against the Carcam III X8000 I had.

2) I need a dashcam and also a camera for the inside of my car facing the passengers, would the viewing angle on the Z7 be enough for this.

Here is the camera Ive used for a few years, this is not my video but its the same camera.

So do you think two of these Z7's will be as good if not better than what I had.

Many thanks in advance.

Ive noticed the price of this has come down with tomtop_w on ebay, wondering if their is a discount for buying two. £33.79 free delivery

You can get the Z7 for $41.99 shipped from Gearbest which is just over 26 quid:

Just use the code DOMEZ7

I've got to admit I'm not familiar with the X8000 though. You might also want to think about the A118 for facing outwards at that sort of price range?

The Mobius with a wide lens would be enough for inside as well

Many thanks for the reply, I like the look of the A118 seems to sit well behind the mirror, I did read that people have had a few software problems with them on your review page. Do you recommend this camera over the Z7 for forward facing, it does look good and where would you advise to buy one. WOW £26 for the Z7 is real good value though Im very tempted now to get one of them maybe two of them still.

Thanks very much for your help. Ive ordered the Z7 for inward cab video and the A118 for facing outward.
The Z7 costs are brilliant so if its not good for inward cab video Ill place it in my wifes car facing outward.
I used the codes provided on this site and bought them both from gearbest.

When I get them I will also do a youtube video and share my findings on here.

140 degree should be good enough.
If that proves to be less, you can get G90 for little more that has 170 degree FOV.

Many thanks for that, hopefully these two will do the trick fingers crossed. A friend of mine e has just ordered the same as me, another taxi driver. Look forward to receiving them and doing a review

Well after getting a little worried at how long Ive waited the 118 arrived today. Quickly stuck the freshly formatted card in it and it didnt work :( it lights up sometimes records sometimes doesnt. I plugged the charger in and what comes up on the screen is two options - Mass storage or pc camera.

Ive not had much time to play with it but did manage to set it up when it had a little charge, I copied of techmoans settings. Im gutted at the moment but sure that its something silly.

Can anyone let me know where I am going wrong, I am a bit techy and used dashcam before without any problems, Im even a licenced radio ham lol so its not that.

Sounds as if your charger is a data cable or your connecting it to a computer. Either way you camera thinks it's connected to a computer and is asking if you want to view the SD card contents (Mass storage) or use it as a webcam (PC camera). How does it perform on battery, does it record fine? Did you try using it connected to the car with the supplied cable? The issue is too many pins on the cable, normally a charging cable has the two data pins shorted.

Hi and thanks for getting back to me. Ys I used the charger in the car that came with it. Still the same thing happens Mass storage or pc camera comes up on the screen

That sounds like maybe something's shorted inside?

I've had a camera do the same this week - no matter what it's connected too it goes into USB mode!

Was that from Gearbest?

It is from gearbest, I have another camera on its way too, its a different one.

Ive just tried this camera running on its internal battery and its working fine, Ive just played a short video back using VLC player without a problem.
Gutted waited ages for it.

Ive checked the settings and their seems nothing wrong. Its as soon as I plug it in with the provided cable it goes into this Mass storage or pc camera

When you connect to computer, it's supposed give you Mass storage or pc camera option.

If it does that in the car, try a different car charger or use the smaller cable with another usb car charger.

YepI willtry all the options tonight before I contact gearbest. Gutted what a clart having to send it back its going to take forever to get this sorted as Ive waited weeks for the delivery

Sounds like the cable for sure if it works fine on battery

I got a responce from the company today, they offered me to get the unit repaired local and they will compensate me, but I dont know anywhere tha will do this sort of thing. Or a refund or exchange but I have to pay te return postage, not sure if that is right as it was faulty from day 1 and I contacted them that very day. Can anyone advise before I respond to them please.

Did you get the a118 from Gearbest then? If something is faulty from the Chinese sellers they do expect you to pay return shipping unfortunately - although I had to pay return shipping twice to DOD UK and they covered just shipping to me

My advice is to try another cable that you know has the data cables shorted. You can always use a piece of tape to short them and use a plug from a cell phone to connect it to your house power.
Here's a picture of what I'm talking about
image.jpg
If not, I would find someone to repair it and have them pay rather than paying more and waiting for shipping

Yes I bought both cameras from gearbest. I suppose its the downside for buying them cheaper so its a gamble. Just thought with it being bought via paypal it was covered. Never mind we live and learn and Ill hang fire until I try a different lead although both the power lead for the car and the usb lead for the computer both give the same results It makes me think the problem definitely lies with the unit

Back