Thinking about getting a Dash Cam

Pknitty86

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DVR 027
I've been think about buying a dash cam recently I have been looking at ones that are $100 or less. So far I've narrowed it down to two models.

GS1000 blue menu I like that it's small and from videos I've seen the image quality doesn't seem bad. However I don't really need the GPS

are these legit or fake?
$77.76
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/BLUE-Men ... 88023.html
$84

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-came ... 84105.html

DOD F500LHD seems like it has decent video quality and track record I just don't like how big it is.

$90 found this on the main page
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 18564.html

What's everyone's thoughts? Any other models that I should consider ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pknitty86 said:
are these legit or fake?

there's no real or fake, just different spec

although they promote buyer protection aliexpress don't have a good track record of actually helping buyers, with products that are a bit of an unknown (personally) I prefer to buy through eBay where at least you know what sort of support they offer

jokiin said:

I also like to stay away from the word Fake. all these cameras will record video. How ever if they were Standard Definition knock offs the video would be very poor and the audio may not work. When someone uses work Fake for a DashCam i try to think that it means faked you or fooled you into believing it was a higher quality camera because they also list incorrect specs but personally prefer the term knock off or clone.

jokiin said:
although they promote buyer protection aliexpress don't have a good track record of actually helping buyers, with products that are a bit of an unknown (personally) I prefer to buy through eBay where at least you know what sort of support they offer

I agree with jokiin here as well.

On to actual cameras.
The GS1000 Blue menu
It is alright and has a few issues like the GPS may not work and the video does not look as good.

Also note that while the seller Chose Best For You is nice enough to admit it's a blue menu and not try to sell it as an orange that his feedback rating is a little low (91%) and the camera is on sale from 144 dollars to 77. The old price being a bit higher then what is considered going for a Blue Menu and his sale price a bit lower.

I'm guessing you want to record in 1080P witch is fine of course i am looking to upgrade to something like a GS1000 orange menu soon myself, but if you are looking for small size and a good camera at a cheap price I would look at an original DVR-027 that can do 720 is small and is even cheaper at around 60 dollars.

Also be aware that some of these venders might be on holiday so it will take a few extra weeks to get your order if you do place now.

Just got the DVR 27 for $60 off ebay, from estore009. He shipped pretty quickly and it appears to be a real deal, I think fake is the proper terminology because some vendors are shipping 720p cameras that are much much worse quality than this so there is some trickery going on.

See my comments on the camera, guess it's OK but I'm a bit of a pixel peeper and 720p seem just too soft for my liking and the bright sun here in Colorado makes the contrast go funny but you can see a clip here - http://youtu.be/I3mkZ0OyIHU

watchingyou said:
Just got the DVR 27 for $60 off ebay, from estore009. He shipped pretty quickly and it appears to be a real deal, I think fake is the proper terminology because some vendors are shipping 720p cameras that are much much worse quality than this so there is some trickery going on.

See my comments on the camera, guess it's OK but I'm a bit of a pixel peeper and 720p seem just too soft for my liking and the bright sun here in Colorado makes the contrast go funny but you can see a clip here - http://youtu.be/I3mkZ0OyIHU

I think for what you paid the result is acceptable, I'd expect you'd pay double that to get decent 1080p performance

Quick update I just ordered a DVR 027 today. Now I just have to wait anyone recommend a good place to buy a 32gb micro SD card?

jokiin said:
If every buyer will tell to the seller: "Hey man, don't sell me a fake because I will give negative rating", we will hope to educate chinese to not try to cheat customers with low specs in something which was a great camera.
That seller will tell to the factory "Hey factory, don't sell me a fake because I will not order again from you".

A lot of them are saying is H264 but is M-JPEG, or HD but is some fcking interpolation from SD.
They invented this just to sell a poor quality camera. If you sell something poor write the true poor specs, not try to use some quality camera under the same name.

If a GS1000 was invented with Ambarella and for example Orange menu, everything is not the same is a fake. To not be a fake they could use just another name even the form factor is the same. Why not GS1001? They have 999 numbers up to GS2000. They can sell without any problem the GS1001, 1002, 1003, etc if the specs are different than original. But we want that specs to be true.
Even using a name like GS1001 some customer can think is a new and better model and if he don't read the true poor specs, then he is guilty for buying, not the seller.

Why chinese phones with Iphone name are banned in most countries? Because everything is different from an Iphone is a fake.
Iphone have power. The original creator of GS1000, not, so everybody can fake it.

For every order I made on ebay or Aliexpress I am contacting the seller. And I told them always if is poor quality or fake to not sell to me, to not take my money.

So the more FAKE will read the more scary will be.

enjoy,
Mtz

PS: FAKE FAKE FAKE :lol:

Mtz said:
If a GS1000 was invented with Ambarella and for example Orange menu, everything is not the same is a fake. To not be a fake they could use just another name even the form factor is the same. Why not GS1001? They have 999 numbers up to GS2000. They can sell without any problem the GS1001, 1002, 1003, etc if the specs are different than original. But we want that specs to be true.
Even using a name like GS1001 some customer can think is a new and better model and if he don't read the true poor specs, then he is guilty for buying, not the seller.

this is pretty much what GS2000, GS5000 etc is, same guts, new housing with a bigger number so it must be a better model, the consumer is expected to think this anyway

Mtz said:
The original creator of GS1000, not, so everybody can fake it.

enjoy,
Mtz

PS: FAKE FAKE FAKE :lol:

it's not so much original creator as this was always a public model, any factory could buy this tooling and create their own product, initially not much choice so everything was Ambarella based and very similar, then people work to get the cost down with new solutions, cheaper main board, different CPU etc, the model suffers as a result, I know there are people selling complete cameras for $60 less than it costs me to make mine, I know it's different, to a consumer they look similar so they just think mine is too expensive, honestly though I don't want to compete in the bottom end of the market, it's not good for anyone

Regarding costs how can you imagine a dashcam with display to be on ebay $12 including free shipping?
I have an idea about chinese shipping to Europe for example is about $5, so how can be that camera $7? My only idea was if they are almost sure nobody will buy that camera and are trying to avoid a total loss. I believe only the display is $7 or even more.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Regarding costs how can you imagine a dashcam with display to be on ebay $12 including free shipping?

enjoy,
Mtz

haven't seen any that cheap but don't doubt they're out there, no need to imagine what the results would be like

Back