Thinking about getting an A119

FordFiesta

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V3, SG9665XS
Hi. This is my 1st post on this forum, although I have looked at it quite a lot over the past few months.

I have never used a dashcam before.

Am thinking about getting a Viofo A119 for the front of my car. Have seen quite a few reviews and am tempted. Am also thinking about getting another A119 or A119S for the rear of my car, but I'm wanting to try the front one first to see how I get on with it.

I have some questions though.

1) I was looking at getting the non GPS version. Does that mean that the v1 should be fine and that there is no reason to pay more for the V2?

2) If I get the non GPS version and power the camera only when the ignition is on. Will it remember the date and time settings, if the car isn't used for a week? Don't want to reset the date and time every time I start the car.

3) Does anyone have any opinions if I should be looking at the A119S instead of the A119?

4) I am in the UK and looking at buying off Amazon UK. Which sellers should I be considering. Amazon sellers I am seeing are SpyTecInc, Boblov and WonVon. Think SpyTecInc are recommended, but not sure about the other 2.

5) What make and size of micro SD card should I get? The instructions I've seen say 64gb max, but I think I've seen people say it works with 128gb. Does anyone have any success with 128gb cards?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Hi. This is my 1st post on this forum, although I have looked at it quite a lot over the past few months.

I have never used a dashcam before.

Am thinking about getting a Viofo A119 for the front of my car. Have seen quite a few reviews and am tempted. Am also thinking about getting another A119 or A119S for the rear of my car, but I'm wanting to try the front one first to see how I get on with it.

I have some questions though.

1) I was looking at getting the non GPS version. Does that mean that the v1 should be fine and that there is no reason to pay more for the V2?

2) If I get the non GPS version and power the camera only when the ignition is on. Will it remember the date and time settings, if the car isn't used for a week? Don't want to reset the date and time every time I start the car.

3) Does anyone have any opinions if I should be looking at the A119S instead of the A119?

4) I am in the UK and looking at buying off Amazon UK. Which sellers should I be considering. Amazon sellers I am seeing are SpyTecInc, Boblov and WonVon. Think SpyTecInc are recommended, but not sure about the other 2.

5) What make and size of micro SD card should I get? The instructions I've seen say 64gb max, but I think I've seen people say it works with 128gb. Does anyone have any success with 128gb cards?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Hello. I will try to answer what I can.

1. DO NOT GET VERSION 1, Too many problems when you use the GPS mount. Be absolutely certain you are purchasing version 2– Even if you have to wait a bit for it. The way the GPS connector was designed on version 1 is simply too problematic.

2. There is a small battery that I believe will keep date and time settings up to date–I’m not sure how often it needs to be used or recharged though in order to keep that functioning. Hopefully someone else will have an answer for that question.

3.A119S supposedly has better lowlight capabilities due to a different sensor I believe–but doesn’t have as good quality recording otherwise. I elected only to purchase the A119 Version.

4. Can’t say

5. I only use 64 GB cards and recommend transcend high endurance if you can find and afford them–they seem to be very pricey lately.

Hello. I will try to answer what I can.

1. DO NOT GET VERSION 1, Too many problems when you use the GPS mount. Be absolutely certain you are purchasing version 2– Even if you have to wait a bit for it. The way the GPS connector was designed on version 1 is simply too problematic.

2. There is a small battery that I believe will keep date and time settings up to date–I’m not sure how often it needs to be used or recharged though in order to keep that functioning. Hopefully someone else will have an answer for that question.

3.A119S supposedly has better lowlight capabilities due to a different sensor I believe–but doesn’t have as good quality recording otherwise. I elected only to purchase the A119 Version.

4. Can’t say

5. I only use 64 GB cards and recommend transcend high endurance if you can find and afford them–they seem to be very pricey lately.

Hi Smiley. Thanks for your reply. A couple of queries though.

1) I was looking at getting a dash cam without GPS. I would therefore be plugging the power cable directly into the camera and not the mount. Would it not be OK to get version 1? The V2's don't seem to be available in the UK just now, except from WonVon (on Amazon UK). I haven't heard of WonVon. I'd prefer to buy through a recognised retailer.

5) The Transcend High Endurance 64GB seems to be over £55 in the UK (hadn't realised they were so expensive!). Am now looking at the Lexar High Endurance 64GB which is available for £25. Think I'll play it safe and not look at anything above 64GB.

Thanks for your help.

I bought a non-GPS V1 and received it today. Watching back the footage I could immediately tell the left side was out of focus and can't read signs or plates.

A quick search revealed it's a common issue; the lens base was supposed to have been updated on V2.

Also the USB cable comes out of the side instead of the top when mounted without the GPS module, which may make the ideal mounting spot you had in mind not viable.

The V1 is fine if you don't want GPS. The lens base on the A119S was updated, I don't believe the base was changed on the A119. Would have to double check that.

1) I was looking at getting a dash cam without GPS. I would therefore be plugging the power cable directly into the camera and not the mount. Would it not be OK to get version 1? The V2's don't seem to be available in the UK just now, except from WonVon (on Amazon UK). I haven't heard of WonVon. I'd prefer to buy through a recognised retailer.

5) The Transcend High Endurance 64GB seems to be over £55 in the UK (hadn't realised they were so expensive!). Am now looking at the Lexar High Endurance 64GB which is available for £25. Think I'll play it safe and not look at anything above 64GB.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

My understanding is the major change in version 2 is the correction of the poorly designed GPS-Camera connection. If you’re pretty sure you will never want to use the GPS with the camera, then version 1 should be okay. Many people like the convenience of connecting the power to the GPS unit which facilitates removal of the camera much more easily than if you have to disconnect the power cable. Also it looks nicer too.

People seem to say good things about the Lexar high endurance card. I’ve had 2 of their Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 633x 64GB UHS-I Cards,
which have failed and had to be returned, so I would not recommend those. I had to return one of the Lexmark cards to the company for replacement and the process took about three weeks total–they did honor their warranty and replaced the card.

I guess I'll have to try another unit and hope for the best if there was no update for A119.

The Transcend High Endurance 64GB seems to be over £55 in the UK (hadn't realised they were so expensive!). Am now looking at the Lexar High Endurance 64GB which is available for £25. Think I'll play it safe and not look at anything above 64GB

There's a worldwide shortage of micro SD cards which has made prices jump, and availability can be a problem too. Also note that Lexar has recently changed the manufacturing process for some of it's cards and there have been a number of reports of problems which weren't happening with the older ones. And Samsung may be doing something similar with it's EVO line :( Be sure any card reviews and recommendations you see are up-to-date because of this ;)

Phil

I bought a non-GPS V1 and received it today. Watching back the footage I could immediately tell the left side was out of focus and can't read signs or plates.

A quick search revealed it's a common issue; the lens base was supposed to have been updated on V2.

Also the USB cable comes out of the side instead of the top when mounted without the GPS module, which may make the ideal mounting spot you had in mind not viable.
The V1 is fine if you don't want GPS. The lens base on the A119S was updated, I don't believe the base was changed on the A119. Would have to double check that.

Thanks for your replies.

So the A119S V1 should still have the improved lens base? If that's the case that would make me choose the A119S over the A119.

Thanks for mentioning about the USB connector coming out of the side. I had realised it did this, but appreciate you mentioning it.

My understanding is the major change in version 2 is the correction of the poorly designed GPS-Camera connection. If you’re pretty sure you will never want to use the GPS with the camera, then version 1 should be okay. Many people like the convenience of connecting the power to the GPS unit which facilitates removal of the camera much more easily than if you have to disconnect the power cable. Also it looks nicer too.

People seem to say good things about the Lexar high endurance card. I’ve had 2 of their Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 633x 64GB UHS-I Cards,
which have failed and had to be returned, so I would not recommend those. I had to return one of the Lexmark cards to the company for replacement and the process took about three weeks total–they did honor their warranty and replaced the card.
I'm just looking for a camera which will work reliably with reasonable picture clarity/ quality. Although I'm very good about observing speed limits, I'd rather not have my speed recorded. In reality of course if the police seized dash cam footage after an incident they could calculate your speed by measuring the distance between landmarks and using the time from the footage. Just feel that GPS isn't of benefit to me.

Also feel that if I wait for the V2 then there will be a V3 coming along soon, which I should wait for. There will always be an even better camera in a few months time. Think I need to get a dash cam now.

Thanks for your comments on the Lexar memory cards

There's a worldwide shortage of micro SD cards which has made prices jump, and availability can be a problem too. Also note that Lexar has recently changed the manufacturing process for some of it's cards and there have been a number of reports of problems which weren't happening with the older ones. And Samsung may be doing something similar with it's EVO line :( Be sure any card reviews and recommendations you see are up-to-date because of this ;)

Phil
Thanks for that warning. Had seen quite a few failures of the Lexar 633 cards reported. From what I can see the Lexar High Endurance is OK and is recommended by Car Cam Central.

https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/recommended-sd-cards-avoid-sandisk-ultra-cards

Thanks

I purchased my A119 (and my Gitup Git 2) through Boblov on Amazon UK and have had no issues.

Having said that, I've no problems with my camera, so haven't had to test their customer service.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. I appreciate your help.

Have been thinking about getting a dash cam for a few months.

As we all know there is no such thing as the perfect dash cam. Doesn't matter which one you look at reviews for, people have had problems with all of them. I was quite tempted by the A119.

I decided at the end of the day to buy the Street Guardian SG9665GC V3. It was more than I originally wanted to spend. It also has the GPS which I wasn't fussy about. The reasons I went for it were:
  1. The (reported) better build quality,
  2. The excellent support on this forum,
  3. The 2 year warranty,
  4. Works well in the dark.
I bought it from @niko on this forum. His shop is at hiniko.com

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. I appreciate your help.

Have been thinking about getting a dash cam for a few months.

As we all know there is no such thing as the perfect dash cam. Doesn't matter which one you look at reviews for, people have had problems with all of them. I was quite tempted by the A119.

I decided at the end of the day to buy the Street Guardian SG9665GC V3. It was more than I originally wanted to spend. It also has the GPS which I wasn't fussy about. The reasons I went for it were:
  1. The (reported) better build quality,
  2. The excellent support on this forum,
  3. The 2 year warranty,
  4. Works well in the dark.
I bought it from @niko on this forum. His shop is at hiniko.com

Thanks for all your help.

Thank you. All orders processed and shipped same or next day. Just in case for the records please PM (private message) me your order number.
If any questions or assistance needed feel free to contact me.

Git 2 doesn't have GPS, I'll look at the Git3 at some point though... !

I use my Git for things like this:

Git 2 doesn't have GPS, I'll look at the Git3 at some point though... !

I use my Git for things like this:
Git3 will support GPS.

For A119/A119S, better to choose Transcend and Samsung card instead of Lexar .

It wont matter what SD card you got if you end up with a defective unit. I purchased two A119 units and they were both defective. I got stuck with them too, the seller ( SpyTec ) refused to reasonably replace the units

It wont matter what SD card you got if you end up with a defective unit. I purchased two A119 units and they were both defective. I got stuck with them too, the seller ( SpyTec ) refused to reasonably replace the units

why wouldn't they replace them if they were faulty?

Back