Thinkware Dash Cam F770 Front and Rear

Sam L

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

Does anyone know if Thinkware locks their GPS software to specific regions? That is if you purchase the F770 from the UK - it will not work in Australia because the GPS has been locked to the UK region.

Due to the recent fall in the British pound, the cost savings from buying the F770 set from UK is significantly cheaper (as compared to buying one locally in Australia). I spoke to a local retailer who mentioned that I'd have to buy one locally for the reason above and that the road safety warning system and safety camera alerts will not work as they are GPS dependent functions.

Just wondering if anyone here knows if what I've been told is BS and is basically a scare tactic to buy local.

Best Regards,
Sam

the GPS is the same, it is possible to restrict software to only work based on region, whether they do that or not I have no idea, it's technically possible, seems like a lot of effort for very little reward if they did

Thanks for replying jokiin. :)

Has anyone bought their Thinkware from a different country and had issues using it locally?

As far as I’m aware, the unit itself is able to be used anywhere on the planet: it’s the downloadable speed camera data that is region-specific.

I would be inclined to purchase the unit from a local dealership – in spite of the steep price difference, not due to any nonsense about locked GPS, but rather because a unit purchased abroad is not covered under Australian consumer law.

In any case, the F770 is pretty reasonably priced nowadays. Have a look in Supercheap Auto or Strathfield Car Radio if you live in Oz; they’re bound to have it in stock.

Attachments

• A86111B1-D7F9-417A-9DA1-970FADAC9D17.png
    A86111B1-D7F9-417A-9DA1-970FADAC9D17.png
    310.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Our dash cams are not region locked, however the speed cam data + device's firmware will need to be updated to the region you are in. Once it has been updated it, will be good to go!

Back