Thinkware F750 Card Error

I don't want to seem negative, but have you checked that the F750 is actually using all or most of the 200GB?

Just tested out our Thinkware today for a customer that had questions with the WiFi app. Misplaced the original Thinkware card for our demo unit and was surprised to come across this error as well.
We have lots of cards at our office and surprised that some didn't work, I'm curious what the restricting factor is

Cards that worked for us:
- Adata 16/32/64GB
- Blackvue 16 - 128GB
- Samsung EVO+ 128GB

Cards that didn't work for us
- FineVu LEXAR 16GB
- BlackSys Class 10 16GB

Interesting thing is I ran h2test on these cards and the two that didn't work weren't noticeably slower in terms of write speed but the read speed was <20 MB/s while the ones that work could be read at a higher speed.
I think this might have been coincidence rather than actual causation though :S

I don't want to seem negative, but have you checked that the F750 is actually using all or most of the 200GB?
Good point. I'll report back in a few days once it's had the chance to overwrite old videos a few times.

One annoying thing is that the iOS app only gives me a choice of 2 space allocation strategies. I'd prefer to allocate as much space as possible to continuous recording (since I let mine record 24/7), but right now a lot of space on the card is being wasted as they're reserved for modes that I never use.

We have lots of cards at our office and surprised that some didn't work, I'm curious what the restricting factor is ... Interesting thing is I ran h2test on these cards and the two that didn't work weren't noticeably slower in terms of write speed but the read speed was <20 MB/s while the ones that work could be read at a higher speed.
I think this might have been coincidence rather than actual causation though :S
I don't know the answer but I work at an ASIC company and see a lot of engineering reports where memory is involved. I don't understand much of it but can tell you that there are quite a number of different parameters regarding a processor communicating with memory and even if only one of them is marginal there will be errors. If you think about it there are a hell of a lot of transistors in a very tiny piece of silicon embedded in that already small piece of plastic. They already threw away loads of them at the factory (or binned them as lower capacity memory). The ones that passed testing are not identical. Some are going to be marginal.

One annoying thing is that the iOS app only gives me a choice of 2 space allocation strategies. I'd prefer to allocate as much space as possible to continuous recording (since I let mine record 24/7), but right now a lot of space on the card is being wasted as they're reserved for modes that I never use.
There is a choice of 3 on the PC and android apps. Can you access the viewer app on a PC or Mac and set it there? Nevertheless you are right, even with the default setting I think it only allocates around 70% to continuous recording.

I had some issues with the original Thinkware SD card (32GB Class 10, U1) two cards now.
It is not operating well with the F750 camera system, which has difficulties accessing the original cards.

I tried to FW upgrade with the replacement Thinkware card, but the unit doesnt read the FW. It also causes the unit to go into a restart cycle. This indicates that the F750 cant access the card.
I had to purchase a better SD Card and my new 55$ AUD replacement card works excellent with the F750 unit. I am using now a SanDisk Extreme 32GB Class 10, U3 and can only recommend this. If you have issues just buy a new card as I think the original cards are not suited for the F750 system.

Thinkware is very quiet in the forum about this issue, also the local support doesn't provide much help when contacted, disappointing for a system which cost you installed >900$ (AUD).

I also bought a 16gb f750 from amazon as they were on sale for £163 after reading the topics on SD cards errors I thought I had made a mistake not buying a bigger capacity model.I bought a SanDisk ultra class 10 64gb from eBay for £12.99 ..i then copied all the files from the 16gb card to the 64gb card and put in dash cam and it worked perfectly a..hope this helps somebody...andy

Yes that was a good decision. I see that Amazon is listing the 2CH 32GB kit for £249 and the rear camera for £60. So since most of use get a bigger SD card to use with it, buying the F750 16GB kit for £164 and rear camera for £60 would seem to be a good deal. I managed to get my 2CH 32GB kit for £190 on black Friday and I haven't seen such a good deal since. The downside was that I bought it from the RAC shop and their customer service is truly abysmal.

2016050314.jpg

201605vev.jpg

201605viv.jpg

201605zrz.jpg

F750 Firmware 1.00.15 with microSDXC to big SD adaptor with 512GB memory card and.... FAIL:(

Looks like camera starting normally for about 6sec (led blinking normally) then camera gets restarts (no led lights for about 1sec) and again 6sec > no led...

there is no warning messages or any voice alerts...nothing at all

so Kingstone SDXC512GB on 1.00.15 test FAIL o_O

what's the largest Micro SD card it has worked with?
It looks like something in the firmware is hard-coded to max 128GB. I just checked my 200GB SanDisk SDXC, with allocation strategy A (61% continuous), it will only save ~79GB of continuous videos (128GB * 0.61 = 79GB). It won't utilise the full 200GB, even though it recognises that it's an 200GB card (the iOS app shows 79GB used, 200GB total).

so far only 128GB memory cards are 100% compatible...everything higher make problems, currently I try to use this one (Lexar MicroSDXC 200GB):

2016050411.jpg

screenptp.jpg

and the problem is:
- on exFAT camera starting with warning message "please format memory card" (even if is already formatted from the device previous time),
- when I change file system to FAT32 then looks OK... (I will let you know after next few days- I'm still testing this one 200GB, but so far is OK),

looks like camera needs firmware update for the the new SDXC memory cards... CPU A7LA85 is fully compatible with SDXC standard.

Anyone using Patriot memory? I just bought a 128gb

Last edited:
so far only 128GB memory cards are 100% compatible...everything higher make problems, currently I try to use this one (Lexar MicroSDXC 200GB)
Does the "Memory card capacity" show free/total or used/total? Mine is currently showing 79/200 or something like that, I thought it meant 79GB used/200 total, which made me think it's not using the full capacity (79GB is 61% of 128GB). But yours seems to be showing free/total. In that case, my usage would be 121GB, which is about 61% of 200GB and that means it is actually able to use all of the card's capacity. (61% is the amount allocated to continuous recording, when using storage type A.)

Edit: now that I think about this a bit more, I think it is indeed able to use the full 200GB. The cam now stores about 9 hours of continuous video, whereas previously it only stored around 6 hours when using a 128GB card. Unfortunately this is still not enough for me and I wish it could store around 24 hours.

looks like camera needs firmware update for the the new SDXC memory cards... CPU A7LA85 is fully compatible with SDXC standard.

A7 chipset supports up to 2TB if the vendor has paid the exFAT licence fee from Microsoft to have support added to the SDK, if it formats 128gb cards exFAT no problem then either they have a firmware bug (to be fair, until recently 128gb was as big as MicroSD went so not something that would be fully tested) and they need to fix that, or they have done their own version of exFAT support based on open source code which also needs updating

I am using a 64gb Silicon Power micro SD card, MicroSDXC UHS-1 Class 10, with my F750. The first couple of tries it did not work - it was a combination of FAT32 file system, quick format & choosing 32kb allocation size etc. I then formatted it as exFAT with 128kb allocation size, and it's working like a charm w/ the dash cam.
If anyone is interested, I bought if off Amazon - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B00TB8XZOKI also tried the 32gd Silicon Power memory card, and no matter what combination of filesystem and allocation size I chose, it did not work.

[EDIT 1] - After a near miss, I decided to check the footage out..turns out that the dash cam skipped the recording. It seems that the dash cam is unable to allocate space and save the recording on the micrOSD card at the speed it is recording, when usi g a 3rd party card... Now I am back to square one & amusing thinkware's 16 gb micro sd.

I have a sandisk kicking around.. I'll do some tests & report back later. There is no way I will be paying for an overpriced thinkware micro sd card - $100 CAD for a 64 gb!

Last edited:
Anyone having intermittent memory card errors? My Samsung Evo+ 64gb worked great, and now it gives a memory card error 1/10 times when starting the car. Requires several unpluggings to work...

All this is very interesting. Card error in my view has nothing whatsoever to do with any card. I have never had any device reject any SD card before, EVER. Even today a UHS-1 64Gb Kingston card (Thinkware support says the UHS-1 is "the" most important any parameter) which is rejected by my Thinkware F750 has immediately afterwards been accepted by:- my HTC One phone, my nephew's Samsung tablet, my Lenovo YOGA 2 tablet, my Panasonic Smart TV, my wife's very old Samsung Jet smartphone (pre Android - eek!), My TomTom Sat. and my neighbour's Garmin Sat. Nav. Nobody on this forum has remarked on this that I can see. To me it is obvious that the problem is Thinkware. It is my firm opinion that they are sabotaging 3rd Party SD Cards using their own software to ensure we only purchase SD cards from themselves. There can be no other explanation and two national dashcam installers are in total agreement with me.

Can I ask if any other device is out there that is so picky as to which SD card is acceptable. I know of none other than Thinkware which for me makes the problem crystal clear.

During my latest call with Gary at Thinkware UK he told me if it wasn't an UHS-1 class card formatted in exFAT with 125 kb sector size then it wouldn't work. He explained to be able to record two cameras at once with 1080p at 25fps demands a high write speed was absolutely essential and currently only met by the UHS-1 cards BUT not all UHS-1 cards would necessarily work. Unbelievably he states I am the first person who has EVER raised this "card error" problem. I rest my case.

When price searching UHS-1 cards they all seem to be between £35-£38. Thinkware UK is £39 so I decided to yield and buy two 64 Gb cards from them. Does the F750 in fact take much bigger cards can anyone clarify?

Is prohibiting accessories to them and only them illegal does anyone know?

If only I knew about this before purchase I would have picked another manufacturer!!!

Back