Thinkware F770 ate two of my MicroSD cards when I tried to insert it - Had to open up the Dashcam to get them out

FatStrawPDX

Reaction score
Country
United States
The damn Thinkware F770 ate two of my MicroSD cards. Somehow it went in between the Electronic Boards.

I also discovered a broken Super Capacitor Joint and had to resolder that.

Man, I've had nothing but problems with the Thinkware F770 since day one.

The damn bass in my car broke off the clips on the F770 so I had to glue it to my rear windshield. Later, it broke a joint off a Capacitor.

Anyhow, I've moved the F770 somewhere else in my car.

Attachments

• 20180730_143215.jpg
    20180730_143215.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20180730_143222.jpg
    20180730_143222.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180730_145329.jpg
    20180730_145329.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180730_145339.jpg
    20180730_145339.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20180730_152459.jpg
    20180730_152459.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180730_152511.jpg
    20180730_152511.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 27
A few weeks ago I had to remove my camera to beat on a solid surface to get one of my cards out. The track that the card slides in had shifted and the card wanted to go elsewhere inside. I was able to shift the track back where it needed to be and it's been fine till a few days ago. I may be opening mine up soon to see what I can do to prevent the shifting issue. I also wonder if it may be related to the rattling buttons.

The damn Thinkware F770 ate two of my MicroSD cards. Somehow it went in between the Electronic Boards.

I also discovered a broken Super Capacitor Joint and had to resolder that.

Man, I've had nothing but problems with the Thinkware F770 since day one.

The damn bass in my car broke off the clips on the F770 so I had to glue it to my rear windshield. Later, it broke a joint off a Capacitor.

Anyhow, I've moved the F770 somewhere else in my car.

Any guidance on how to open it up??

I cannot access the YouTube video...

I have a Samsung EVO+ 256 GB in there now!

Any guidance on how to open it up??

I cannot access the YouTube video...

I have a Samsung EVO+ 256 GB in there now!
I just made the video live again. You just need to shake it out if there.

By the way, my thinkware F770 is not working correctly anymore.

My radio, power windows, speedometer gauges, and ac wouldn't work when I had my F770 plugged in (everything is hardwired to the cellink neo). I checked the voltages under my fuse box and voltages were reading some super low number. My guess is that something in the thinkware circuit shorted and cause it to draw too much current.

I finally removed my thinkware F770 and my car works normal now. Too bad thinkware doesnt cover repair under warranty. My f800 pro has been working like a champ. The F770 sucks.

hey guys, i just had this issue today and the memory card made its way into the gap between the body and the slot.
Any videos on how to disassemble? I have taken out the 4 rubber plugs but thought i would check here first before starting.
Thanks in advance
Charley

Just start unscrewing the outside case and then shake the hell out of the circuit board area until the flash card slides out between the gaps.

Missing the card socket and having the card go inside is an occasional issue with just about all dashcam makes and models from the cheapest ones to the top-tier ones :(

Sometimes you can disassemble the cam and bend the card socket into position or do that from outside, but that risks breaking a solder joint so I just go very carefully with the card in the cam having this problem once I get the card out. I have two cams like this ATM but both work OK once the card is properly installed. If you don't feel pressure from the card ejection spring just before it goes in completely, it is best to withdraw the card and look carefully into the slot with a strong light to see what's going on. ;)

If your cam is still under warranty you can send it back for repairs or just live with the issue if you don't see it getting worse over time.

Phil

Thanks guys! I ended up taking out the rubber plugs on the bottom, unscrewing the main housing and then unscrewing both boards inside to get my card back.

The space between the memory card slot and unit housing is quite tight but my camera was mounted when i was trying to put the card back in (lazy option) and I must have jammed it in too far. I have committed to removing it off the mount in the future and that should avoid any problems. Considered upgrading when it first happened... any thoughts on the U1000?

I just had this goddamn issue today.
I removed the screws but I'm unable to remove the plastic cover. Feels like I'd break it if I do so.
Any pointers on how to safely remove the plastic cover?

I just had this goddamn issue today.
I removed the screws but I'm unable to remove the plastic cover. Feels like I'd break it if I do so.
Any pointers on how to safely remove the plastic cover?
I dont remember from the top of my head if there were any plastic tabs. Maybe you missed a screw? Good luck! I really hate the F770. I've had 0 issues with my f800 pro

there are multiple tabs, you can see them in the pictures in the first post, will need a bit of squeezing to get them open

Many cams will eat cards if things are just a bit out-of-alignment between case and card socket. Just have to be very careful here. I keep the card pinched at my fingertips until I feel proper alignment, then slowly push in until I feel the spring'loading. If I don't feel that before the card is flush with the case I stop, get the tweezers or needle-nosed pliers out to pull the card, then try again. PITA but beats having to take the cam apart when you didn't plan to!

Phil

i know the feeling, my thinkware dashcam is on its 4th 128gb sd card. If it wasnt using old firmware there is no way i could afford the thinkware branded ones. Why they stopped you using other sd cards in older firmware is beyond me.

i know the feeling, my thinkware dashcam is on its 4th 128gb sd card. If it wasnt using old firmware there is no way i could afford the thinkware branded ones. Why they stopped you using other sd cards in older firmware is beyond me.
Simple answer - Money, be it dollars, euros, pesos, etc.

Back