Thinkware F770 Review by Sir Loin

Can you guys confirm that you can put the right-angled end of the micro-USB lead and the power lead into the sockets of the F770 and close the hatch properly?
Yes, once both right angled cables are plugged in. The hatch closes completely

Can you guys confirm that you can put the right-angled end of the micro-USB lead and the power lead into the sockets of the F770 and close the hatch properly?

Yes, the hatch closes properly when plugged in with the right-angled end of USB and the power lead.

Thanks. I can see myself getting one mainly so that it looks a little neater in my car. My wife is considering getting a new car and I have a feeling that my F750 will be going in it!

I too have just received my F770 camera from Thinkware UK. The USB cable I have received for the camera connections, one end is right-angled and the other end (I presume for the rear camera) is straight.

Are both ends of the connecting USB cable supposed to be right-angled, or just the one end?

Yep, on most 2-CH dashcams, the rear will have a straight tip. It makes it much harder to run the wire through grommets of a hatchback/suv when there's a right angle plug on the rear
13078298_10153796472082912_1507823022_o-2_large.jpg

Dippy, fitted mine tuesday and yes you close the cover on the main unit with power and the right angled USB in place

having a few issues with mine though, installed easy enough front and rear but when setting up i put the parking mode into movement sensor etc and turned speed stamp off.

after my journey yesterday i checked the footage and it appears it stayed in continuous mode and not parking with movement trigger, basically i just had a 2hr footage split into segments.

i adjusted settings for parking again to make sure last night and when i went into speed stamp it was turned back on, i turned it off, looked at some other setting pages and then went back and speed stamps on again, for some reason it doesnt save the setting if i turn it off.

next issue is i checked footage once i got home tonight and again only continuous recording mode has recorded and even worse when i look at what its recorded all it plays is a black screen with a kind of static sound (same for front and rear recording.

if i go into live view both cams present images that work fine, any ideas?

to summarise my issues are:
1, no other mode than continuous seems to be working
2, recordings now black with static sound but live views fine
3, speed stamp wont stay turned off

all advice much appreciated

Try factory reset and memory card format.
If this doesn't help, then re-install firmware, then factory reset and after memory card format.

I agree on Niko's advice. However on the parking mode have you hardwired it correctly?

Did you hardwire your Cellink to a fuse that's only live when the car is on/grounded the cable correctly?

Ok I re formated the card and now appear to have video back showing in the recordings, didn't do the firmware as I read on backboxmycar not to do it as people have had trouble after.

Still only continuous recording, no announcement it's switching to parking mode when I turn off ignition and any recordings while I'm away from car are in continuous recording folder.

Also speed stamp still reverting back to on no matter how many times I turn it off?

Dippy regarding the wiring query I have it as per below:

-Red wire marked accessory piggy backed onto 12v switched feed (same feed as dvd head rest so I know it works)
-Yellow wire marked battery to a constant 12v feed (I know that works as continuous recording works when away from car)
-earth to .......well earth ;o)

Any ideas what's going wrong and why it's not switching to parking mode?

iron, no cellink used just the hard wire kit that came with the f770 and shut off value set to 12.2v

The F770 is the first dash cam I ever hard wired. I had the same issue -- the cam was not switching into parking mode. Apparently it matters which way the add-a-fuse is plugged in. After I pulled the add-a-fuse out, turned it 180º, re-plugged back in, the parking mode started working as expected.

Hi Quattro, thanks for that, was yours stuck on continuous recording as well?

I'm obviously getting perm 12v to it when I take the keys out as the continuous recording works it's just not switching into parking so it's only triggered by movement.

Surely that can't be affected by the need to rotate the fuse can it? I have no idea but it just doesn't sound like it could be in my case As surely 12v perm is 12v perm?

It did not make sense to me either. I recall plugging just the fuse adapter with the fuses in it (no wire connected to it from the cam) into the fuse slot and using a voltmeter to get a reading from the crimp connector coming out of the fuse adapter and getting 12.4V. This was while it was plugged into a fuse slot that was supposed to be powered only when the ignition was on. Yet I was getting 12.4V with ignition both on and off. I was installing the F770 on my 2015 audi a3 so I googled for hardwiring instructions for that model and found a photo online that showed the fuse adapters plugged in the opposite way from the way mine were plugged in. So I plugged my fuse adapters the same way as shown in the photo and took the voltmeter and got 0.0V from the wire coming out of the fuse adapter with the key not in the ignition and 12.4V with the key in the ignition.

Ok tried agin this morning and the recordings are still only in continuous mode only and the recording show no actual footage again just a black screen with static sound (sounds like i could just hear the mobile speed camera warming sound recorded in the static).

Reformatted the card again and still nothing

Im confident the wiring is fine, my reason being the continuous mode works when I'm away from car so the perm 12v feed must be working and as for the switched feed I have used the same feed that supplies the kids dvd headrests and they switch on and off with the ignition so that must be fine.

GPS and wifi work fine, it's just not recording actual images (live view is fine, both cans work), won't go into parking mode and still can't turn the speed stamp off and get it to stay off.

Losing faith with this now, it wasn't cheap and if it was a digital camera I'd bought I'd have gone back by now

Quattro - I'm baffled by that.

Phil - you need to go to basics and simulate operation by hand: Place both wires on your permanent 12V until continuous starts and then remove one of them. If this does not start parking mode then replace that wire and remove the other. If that still does not start parking mode then your dashcam is faulty*. As I have written a number of times on this forum, whilst I like the Thinkware products I believe their QA is lacking and they let too many faulty products off the line and into the hands of the consumer.

*Are you absolutely sure that you have enabled parking mode in the configuration screen?

Thanks Dippy, I will have a proper go back over everything later this evening if I get the chance or tomorrow if not.

As the user manual makes no mention of the different modes or there activation I simply went into setup and parking mode, changed it to motion sensitive and adjusted the sensitivity to medium, I did the same for speed stamp and when I exited a pop up said something about saving settings.

However the speed stamp is always turned on if I go and check so I'm assuming it's not saving my settings at all.

At the moment my biggest concern is why live view shows perfectly functioning cameras but the continuous recording footage just shows a black screen, the mode of recording may have been wrong the day I installed it but atleast the footage was actually recorded and viewable.

From memory there was an actual 'check box' to enable parking for my F750.

I missed that you still have recording problems. Is this with the SD card supplied by Thinkware? If so reject the camera. As I noted, I think the dashcams are good, as long as you don't get one of the faulty ones! (but that sounds like a contradiction doesn't it?)

I think I may get in touch with thinkware UK (chameleon?) and see what they say as yes it's the thinkware micro sd that came in the box that I'm using

Do you have the cigarette cable to test with and see if it will record in continuous mode?
The firmware update might be worth trying, we had a customer with no issues do a firmware update and ended up with issues afterwards.
But since you are already experiencing issues the situation is a little different.

Back