Thinkware F770 vs SG9665GCv2

flip9

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
F770, SG9665GC
dashcam%20comparison.jpg

I've been running both cams for a week now and thought id do a split view comparison between the two.

Hot sunny day:

There's a fair bit of focus shift on the SG v2 cam.

The black bit on the Thinkware screen is actually the SG cam, didnt realise i put it too close.

EDIT: I now have the v3 see new comparisons below

SG9665GCv3 vs F770 (Sunset)
SG9665GCv3 vs F770 (Twilight)
SG9665GCv3 vs F770 (Night)

Last edited:
O yeah that focus have shifted alright, it did so too on my V1 as we had a nice summer when i first got it back then.

I have just refocused it, and it wasent that bad to take apart, but it would have been nice with a HDMI out on the camera and then a focus chart.

I have been thinking about that make some cameras shift and others do just fine, if lens socket is metal and secured alright and the lens is in focus, then whats left is the cmos itself, but that too i find weird that it could shift.
Also the glass elements of the lens itself could move a little i assume, i have been thinking about taking a lens apart one day to see whats actually in there and how its kept together.

Yes it could be the lens assembly or even the sensor being shifted out of the film plane. I'm hoping the v3 doesnt have this issue because the SG9665GC is a simple and reliable dashcam, the inconsistent IQ is its only downside.

The F770 could use a bump up in bitrate and the 1 minute files are a bit annoying to work with.

Ive updated the vid to a longer clip w/ music.

You should hit up Rick for a replacement camera, i dont think SG owners are supposed to make do with whatever circumstances deal.
At least thats how the company mantra seem to me.

But its a issue seen before, but to my knowledge not in numbers thats alarming in regard to total number us units sold.

When my focus shifted it was also one of those rare ones with +2 weeks of temperatures over 25 and even a handful of +30 degree days thrown in there too.
Hope coming summer will be the same cuz the summer 2016 was pretty poor, not due to much rain, but the temperatures never really got up here, and if they did it was only for a day or 2 and some of them falling as early as April and May.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting.
Looks like the new F770 has much sharper glass than my two SG9665GC V2's.

Can we do a night comparison of the two?

Do you have a "rear" F770 dashcam too?
Any possibility of doing a side to side comparison of a rear F770 with a rear SG9665GC V2?
35320_Thinkware_Thinkware_F770-2CH_Full_HD__GPS__f_3.jpg

Does anyone have any idea when Street Guardian's forthcoming twin channel dash cam will be released?
And can this forthcoming SG twin channel better the F770 for video quality front and rear??
I'm just wondering if I should buy two sets of front and rear F770's now, or wait for Street Guardian's forthcoming twin channel rival?

Just got back from a road trip. Ill try post up some vids soon. My SG cam only has a 32gb memory card so much of the night footage has probably been overwritten.

Yes I've got the F770 rear camera, ill see if i can put the SG9665 on the rear.

I don't forsee the SG dual cam hitting the market for another 4 months, thats why i jumped on the F770.

The F770 does look very sharp that being said the price difference between the 2 is pretty substantial.. I wonder how it would go vs the Thinkware F50 which is closer in price..

Last edited by a moderator:
So i now have the SG9665GCv3 to compare against the F770. Heres a video taken during a warm sunset (high contrast). No CPL on either camera.

(The F770 screen looks a bit choppy on the second clip for some reason when exported through Videopad)

-The image quality on the v3 is better than the F770. Its sharper and less blocky. No focus shift like the v2.

-The F770 adjusts exposure better than the v3. Its got less blown highlights. Its also got a more accurate colour balance (warmer side)

Last edited:
Night Time vid

The F770 looks like it reveals more of the shadow area but the ISO is really just bumped up thats why its noisier than the SG cam.

Daytime, I can barely tell the difference between V3 and F770?

Wow, I suspect I like the 9665 V3's front night video more?

I hope you can give us some rear videos of day and night.
I suspect the F770's rear video may be compromised due to the compromised rear bit rate???

The number plates and street signs are a bit sharper and easier to read in the daytime video.

I'll see if i can find the spare 9665 mount and do a comparison but I doubt the F770 rear cam will beat the 9665v3 or most single channel cams.

:) funny i can sit here for a little while thinking WTF is that with the NAV unit, totally disregarding the footage and the side of the road you drive on and the weather.

And then after a minute :eek: O yeah Australia :oops:

I wonder why Thinkware have so little text in the footage, when it is down there it is not like it is blocking anything, plus i assume you can turn it all of if you are a puritan in that regard.
I prefer the large lettering in the SG camera in this case.

Back