Thinkware F770

The battery pack probably wouldn't help as it usually takes 1-1.5 hrs to charge that fully so if your only driving for 30 mins it won't last that long anyway. I would think the vehicle battery would be fine to run the camera a fair while. You can set the Battery Voltage / Timer for shutting off the camera so you don't get a flat battery...
I did some research and I'm going to try install it myself on HL/16. But I don't find any video of how to remove tail gate panel for wiring of rear cam. I am scared as its brand new car. Can anyone help me. Thanks

Being a new car, if you aren't confident about opening up trim panels and routing the wiring to the rear. I would suggest you take the camera to a reputable auto accessories installer and seek his/her assistance.

Last edited:
I did some research and I'm going to try install it myself on HL/16. But I don't find any video of how to remove tail gate panel for wiring of rear cam. I am scared as its brand new car. Can anyone help me. Thanks

I don't have anything specific for Highlander but the idea is similar for most SUV/Hatchback

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/news/158376583-how-to-install-a-rear-camera-on-a-suv-hatchback
- Picture in this blog post about the X5

With the rear camera on the Highlander, it may be easier to mount the camera on the hard plastic trim rather than the window since your window can open independently

I don't have anything specific for Highlander but the idea is similar for most SUV/Hatchback

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/news/158376583-how-to-install-a-rear-camera-on-a-suv-hatchback
- Picture in this blog post about the X5

With the rear camera on the Highlander, it may be easier to mount the camera on the hard plastic trim rather than the window since your window can open independently
thanks for the reply and thanks for the link... that will help me. Actually i have watched videos and haven't decided yet which dashcam to install. I have your website in my list if i decide to order one. The installation charges are $100 or more from professional installer. total cost is like $800 for dual channel which is way too high for me as of now. Anyway thanks for all who helped me.

Hi guys. I hope I post in the right thread, since it says Thinkware F770. I have couple of questions and hope you alll can help:-
1. My Ford Everest has a always on power socket . If I plug my cam in and make my setting threshold to 6hr/12V, does the cam will cut out when met the threshold setting?
2. I recall there is a discussion stated the F770 cannot cut out if connected to a Battery Pack like Cellink. Is it true and why?
3. If no.2 answer is true, does setup 1 similar to battery pack and it will not cut out too.

Thanks guys

1. No voltage detection will not work if you use the cigarette plug, the camera doesn't know when the car turns off and won't switch into parking mode either.
2. It works if it's properly spliced in, just doesn't work with the cigarette plug (same as #1)

1. No voltage detection will not work if you use the cigarette plug, the camera doesn't know when the car turns off and won't switch into parking mode either.
Hi Alex. I am a big fan of yours. Just want to let you know .

Thank you for your info. What about timer? Does it works with setup 1?

Thanks

Alex, I get your point. Correct me if I am wrong. When we do hardwired using the hardwired kit of Thinkware , one tap to always on fuse (battery) and the other goes to accessories fuse (on when ignition on) then one go to earth or neutral. So, this mean, internally the cam is sensing the power change over to determine if it is moving or parking . So, it will trigger the parking mode. And the threshold setting will works . Hope got it right .
Thanks

Alex, I get your point. Correct me if I am wrong. When we do hardwired using the hardwired kit of Thinkware , one tap to always on fuse (battery) and the other goes to accessories fuse (on when ignition on) then one go to earth or neutral. So, this mean, internally the cam is sensing the power change over to determine if it is moving or parking . So, it will trigger the parking mode. And the threshold setting will works . Hope got it right .
Thanks

Unfortunately, timer won't work either. Basically the timer works by keeping the camera on for a set amount of time after the vehicle turns off. But with the cigarette adapter, the camera doesn't know when the car turns off exactly so it doesn't know when to start the timer.

Hi Alex, so does this mean my guess is correct about how the cam sense it?

Thanks

Hi Alex, so does this mean my guess is correct about how the cam sense it?

Thanks

I believe so, the ignition switched fuse wire is the one that tells the camera when the car turns on and off. That activates voltage detection/timer settings.
It isn't going off of the specific voltage the camera is reading, e.g., If voltage drops below 12.5V it won't assume that the car is off, it is just reading the signal from the ignition switched wire and determining whether it's on or off

Hi guys. Having some problems. My cam hardwired to the fuse box.

When ignition off, afterwhile it turns to parking mode. Just been expected. After couple of minutes, the cam shuts down due to low battery (this is what the notification said). Check car battery and. Ok. Any idea?

I haven't read the previous posts in this thread so sorry if it's been covered. The dashcam has an internal voltage sensor which determines at which level in parking mode it should switch off. This is configurable via the PC/Mac/tablet/smartphone app. What is yours set to? Note that cars with start/stop and recuperation technology use a battery which has a different charge characteristic than those in cars without (typically the older cars) and so their 'typical' ignition-off voltage can be lower than expected.

As Dippy says really the Thinkware does come default to 12.3v which is fairly high. If you are set to that i would recommend trying it about 12 or 12.1v...

Hi guys. Having some problems. My cam hardwired to the fuse box.

When ignition off, afterwhile it turns to parking mode. Just been expected. After couple of minutes, the cam shuts down due to low battery (this is what the notification said). Check car battery and. Ok. Any idea?

If you have a multimeter handy, sometimes we will actually test the voltage the fuse box or battery is putting out and compare it to what the camera shows in its recording.
You can adjust accordingly, e.g., if battery is at 12.3V and camera reads 11.9V, and you want the camera to cut off at a true 12.1 or 12.2V, you can try setting it to 11.8V cutoff to account for that offset

Thank you guys for your response.
If you have a multimeter handy,
Will definitely check this out. But what actually happening is, the cam show 14.2V before shutdown and show the same 14.2V after restart. (Took a view in the video before and after). Check the car battery performance again later. Will keep you all posted.

Any possibilities of loose connection may have cause this or a faulty power cables (hardwired kit)

Thanks

your always on power is defo always on? All to often the ecu can kill circuits 30min or even an hour later

the thinkware camera requires two circuits to work in parking mode. the first being an always on supply, or in another words, a direct line to the battery, it also needs an ACC on supply, which is only live when your ignition is on, the camera detects the ignition is turned off with this wire then switches to parking mode allowing the camera to run off the always on supply until that drops below a certain voltage.

You said the camera shows the voltage recorded as being way above 12v, 14v in fact which is a typical voltage for a car that is turned on, to be honest that seems a little high if the car is supposed to be off but anyway.

So when you connected up the always on supply and ACC supply, there is a chance that you have actually connected the always on supply up to a circuit that turns off.

for example, the fuse on for my instrument cluster, if I turn the engine off that circuit remains powered, if I connected up my always on supply to that circuit, after about 30min the camera would turn off, it would turn off because that circuit is controlled by my GEM module (car computer) the car keeps it alive for about 30min to ensure certain things are monitored, after a while that circuit is turned off as well which would kill the camera power, you get in to the car, typically the cars computer will detect the central locking opening up and power up some of the system, so even with the ignition off, you check the power supply to see if its power and it will be, because the car just turned it on.

That make sense?

That make sense?
Yes.. but let me try with a short version. The computers on some higher end cars monitor and shut off circuits that are drawing unexpected current (in an effort to stop leakage) Some.. circuits in your car are turned off by the computer(s) in your car after a period of time. You "may" have connected your "always on" source to one of those circuits.
On modern cars it gets complicated to find a true always on circuit. Key-less cars for example activate circuits just by the presence of the key fob.

(not sure it this is any shorter.. or makes more sense :))

ha, I'm sure between the two of us he will work it out :)

in short, there is a good chance you wired it up wrong.

Back