Thinkware F770

So Thinkware include the angled USB plug now in all the new orders? Or did the business you bought it from included one?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I bought mine from the Thinkware UK site and got a right angled usb cable. I guess it's standard now.

Looking at upgrading to the F770 SINGLE CAM (most likely) from a Mini 0803 for:
- hopefully better video quality
- speed cam alerts (partially)

Can someone please answer / confirm the below?

1 - Is the speed camera database free of charge and included?
2 - Does it have some similar feature built in, to what a power magic pro provides for the parking mode so it doesn't drain car battery?
3 - Can you turn off the start up sound?
4 - Can you turn off the start up parking mode report thing it reads out?
5 - Is the GPS speed stamped on the video optional?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
1: free but it's a download from their site.
2: it has a voltage cut off that you can set. Down to,i think, 12v.
3: not sure, haven't checked. Probably can though.
4: yes
5: yes

If you're expecting better video quality then you might be disappointed. At least with the dual camera set up, the bitrate is relatively low but the wifi and parking recording are an improvement on my dual 0806/0801 set up

battery cut off can be set to a time or a voltage, down to <11v, you cant turn the startup voice off

Thanks guys

Just trying to decide between Blackvue 650 and a thinkware

Blackvue looks a bit more discreet, and doesn't have as many features. But most of the thinkware features I'm probably going to turn off anyway like it seems most people do.

Hmmm

Can the battery cut off be set to 12.4v?

IMHO, the lane departure warning is pish and extremely annoying, the collision warning could be good but its not, its equally annoying, if they converted it to warn the driver that they are too close to the car in front at any given speed then that might be helpful to some.

All those features and ideas are assuming your a numpty of a driver though, if your tired go to sleep, if you cant tell the car in front is slowing down, go get some glasses.

the speed camera function is finally helpful and no longer annoying.
camera and parking mode are where the thinkware excels

Sorry for all the questions. The hardwired kit that comes with the Thinkware f770 is pretty long or no? I have an option to get the Thinkware or the blackboxmycar hardwire kit.

the speed camera function is finally helpful and no longer annoying.
camera and parking mode are where the thinkware excels

Can you elaborate on this please? This is one of the main reasons (cameras) I am leaning towards Thinkware, but the person I've been speaking to who has used the Bv 650 and the Thinkware F750 has said the constant mobile camera zone notifications on the F750 are actually quite annoying. In what was is the F770 different? Can you turn of the mobile zone warning and only hear the actual definite camera warnings?

Also, people complaining about low bitrate, if you just have the front camera, does the bitrate then increase as opposed to having front and rear? Or is the front cam bitrate the same regardless?

Thanks!

front camera has the same bitrate regardless of 1 or 2 camera mode, I am hoping to do something about that, there is room for a small bump on dual camera and we can get the front camera bumped right up if it was only to be used in single camera mode.

the mobile speed camera alert appears to have either been removed or significantly reduced, I haven't noticed it at all since updating to the latest firmware and the speed camera alerts are unobtrusive, or at least they appear to be much better than before. that's all very subjective I know but I can only comment on what I have heard (or not) and what I have heard (or not) is no more "Mobile speed camera alert" :)

Nice! Sounds promising then and not as annoying as I thought the camera might be from watching some videos

Hmmm decisions......

Bought F770 and im really happy with what i got. Only one thing is bothering now. What causes this crackling sound?

Any ideas?

if you cant hear it than its one of two things, it sounds more like an rattle than a electronic crackle but both are plausible, does the camera record the rattle/crackle when you are stationary? it could be something inside the camera that Is loose, if its electrical then it might be a bad earth or a dirty supply, dirty power can introduce noise In to the audio, ground loops can do this as well.

Try viewing a stationary clip with the engine off
Try muting the camera.
Dismount the camera and give it a shake
Do that lot and let us know.
I

check if there is movement on the mount or any buttons have movement, that type of sound is typically internal

yeah, my money is on a bit of glue inside coming lose or similar, sounds to plastic-y, don't open it up though unless you don't mind losing the warranty, I'm not sure if they have any seals on the camera

Thanks for the hints. It seems that especially wifi, format and power -buttons are a bit loose and they are moving and causing that noise. Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks for the hints. It seems that especially wifi, format and power -buttons are a bit loose and they are moving and causing that noise. Is anyone else having this issue?

Hi there,

yep I have the same issue as well see below, Also the replacement device also had the same issue

I have been told this is affecting 1% of all Thinkware F770 units, The issue is the buttons on the devices, I have used black tape currently to stop the button rattle which fixes the issue, I believe Thinkware have a fix for this issue which requires the buttons to be replaced.

Update

I am now getting my unit swapped out now, As they have now fixed the loose buttons.

Excellent service from Chameleon UK.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just done installing mine yesterday and I do have only one question. Seems like the wifi pairing/connection between my android and iphone6+ having difficulties to connect and detect.

When I use the setting page from my phone, I can see/detect the cam wifi and connected it. When I go to the app and try to use it, it say not connected. Then what I do, I turn on the wifi button in the apps and it is connected, after couple of seconds, it disconnected. For your info, the ignition is on.

Tried few more times and no able to connect. Reset and format the sd card etc and then come back.

My Iphone Software version is 9.3.5

Any idea what happens? Thanks

Seems like the wifi pairing/connection between my android and iphone6+ having difficulties to connect and detect.
Hi dhavie,

I have also encountered sporadic issues connecting wifi via my iPhone 6s. It sounds weird, but have you tried unplugging the power cord from the camera and then plugging it back in? I don't know if it will make a difference, but sometimes when the camera itself won't turn on or otherwise respond to any button pushes, I have resorted to this tactic and generally meet with success. Another thing you might try, though not guaranteed to fix the problem, is to "forget" the device in your phone wifi settings and then reconnect to the Thinkware camera via wifi again. Also, I have had the app crash and freeze on me at times, so I've completely closed the app and restarted it. Or possibly restart your phone. Those are the only suggestions I have. I'm not sure why it's so finicky, but hopefully you'll find it'll work for you more often than not!

Back