Thinkware F800 - Bit of footage

Maddog1974

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware U3000 2ch, T700 Front & Internal IR
I have had the F800 Front cam only (the rear camera is different from other models) in my Smart Car for a few days now. Not done much driving really and it is a pre-production model so may not be fully finished but i'm liking it! The voice is nice and clear with a good tone and also you can have English UK as a voice now! The night vision is amazing too. The F800 will NOT be an AIR model, an AIR model will be released later in the year with a different model number, although a bit disappointing initially i would rather they did this and get it working correctly rather than releasing it and it didn't work!

I have put some links below:

A bit of daytime driving:
https://chameleoncodewing-my.sharep...OQ5Jyytu4&expiration=2017-11-23T14:48:47.000Z

Night without Streetlights (mostly):
https://chameleoncodewing-my.sharep...0keZdykC4&expiration=2017-11-23T14:49:24.000Z

Night with Streetlights:
https://chameleoncodewing-my.sharep...RXgB6qHeU&expiration=2017-11-23T14:50:38.000Z

Parking No Streetlights at all and a bit of rain (Will get some more of this as it was just pointing towards my daughters car on our drive) although i've never seen a dashcam where you can see anything without any light before!!:
https://chameleoncodewing-my.sharep...weuoj8o2E&expiration=2017-11-23T14:50:00.000Z

Last edited:
Am disappointed by the delay in the Air model. Do you know when the F800 will be available? Will upgrade from F800 to F800 Air just require swapping out the front unit?

I was going to have an F770 installed this week. Now having second thoughts. If I did he F770 install would I be able to use the same wiring and rear camera harness for the F800 Air?

I don't mind swapping hardware later, but I wouldn't want to pay for another full install.

Let me know what you advise.

Afraid i really can't say as i only have the F800 in my hand and haven't seen the new cloud model yet (potentially called F900 or something) although i would ASSUME they will be the same / very similar! They were aiming for Sept/Oct launch for it.

Afraid i really can't say as i only have the F800 in my hand and haven't seen the new cloud model yet (potentially called F900 or something) although i would ASSUME they will be the same / very similar! They were aiming for Sept/Oct launch for it.

Thanks. Does the F800 that you have use the same wiring as the F770? The ports look similar.

Is the Sept/Oct date for the Air or the F800?

For the UK we are hoping for the standard F800 towards the end of June, Sept/Oct for the Cloud model. F800 has the same wiring as F770 :)

Have they addressed the criticisms of the F770 on the F800 such as 64GB card size, compatibility issue with other cards, date format 48 hrs max recording etc ?
Thanks
regards chris

is the video quality in the f800 better than that of the f770?

I was told by Thinkware Australia's facebook page that the F800 uses the same power kit and rear camera cable, so it should be as simply to swap out the camera's and use the existing wiring.

Is it true there is an f800 "pro" coming later that looks more like the f770? F770 is my fav cam but the f750 and f800 have designs I wouldn't personally want in my car.

Is it true there is an f800 "pro" coming later that looks more like the f770? F770 is my fav cam but the f750 and f800 have designs I wouldn't personally want in my car.

I haven't heard anything about that? They were toying with the idea of having an F800 soon and then an F800 Air later in the year but this has now been confirmed as a software update to upgrade the standard F800. Also heard they are hoping to make a dash cam suitable for motorbikes but that wont be until next year.

P.S. Above links have been updated

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything about that? They were toying with the idea of having an F800 soon and then an F800 Air later in the year but this has now been confirmed as a software update to upgrade the standard F800. Also heard they are hoping to make a dash cam suitable for motorbikes but that wont be until next year.

Blackboxmycar claims a pro model that looks more like the f770 is coming but I didn't see a press release or anything.

Blackboxmycar claims a pro model that looks more like the f770 is coming but I didn't see a press release or anything.

Blackboxmycam also wrote:
"Unfortunately the new camera with the new processor still only supports up to 64GB cards, we expect the upcoming F800 Pro (Fall 2017 release) to support 128GB cards. This is crucial as a larger card is recommended for supporting 2 channels of Full HD recording."

I was looking to get the F800. Kind of sucks they couldn't figure out how to support 128gb or more when both cameras record in 1080p...

Last edited:
No support for 128 cards. Not suitable for wiring on right side of mirror. No cloud support in the new model.

Almost wonder why bother when the 770 can be had with solid discounts. I am no expert nor do I say I know anything about cams but if I am shelling out $600 for a dash cam it needs to have everything. Anyways I am disappointed.

No support for 128 cards. Not suitable for wiring on right side of mirror. No cloud support in the new model.

Almost wonder why bother when the 770 can be had with solid discounts. I am no expert nor do I say I know anything about cams but if I am shelling out $600 for a dash cam it needs to have everything. Anyways I am disappointed.
The pro better have 128gb support.

I have been testing the dr490-2ch and with even 64gb the 12mbps + 12mbps front and rear fills up the memory card pretty quick.

I was wanting a larger sd card than the thinkware 64GB for my 770(front and rear) but really cannot understand why now, regardless of what size sd you have it gets over written and why do I need footage of what I was doing hours and many more hours earlier, what are peoples reasons for wanting high capacity cards ?

I was wanting a larger sd card than the thinkware 64GB for my 770(front and rear) but really cannot understand why now, regardless of what size sd you have it gets over written and why do I need footage of what I was doing hours and many more hours earlier, what are peoples reasons for wanting high capacity cards ?
My truck was hit and run recently. It was a small enough bump it just scratched the paint. Didn't realize until a friend pointed it out. Checked my footage and it was already over written.

Luckily it was a small gash but still pissed me off and now I walk around my truck almost every day because I'm paranoid haha.

Reading @USDashCamera's experience on critical footage being overwritten just made me change my mind. Going to buy two sets of DR490-2CH for the same price.

I predict the F800 will have an update to support larger sized memory cards. It's going to be too much of a downfall once people notice they can't store much.

Kind of disappointing because Thinkware's customer service seems awesome (next day responses via email) but the lack of support for 128gb or higher is a dealbreaker.

The pro better have 128gb support.

I have been testing the dr490-2ch and with even 64gb the 12mbps + 12mbps front and rear fills up the memory card pretty quick.

I think thinkware should at the very least make the 128GB an option, my "impact" setting is on medium and gets set off by some of our cart tracks we have here called roads, I read in a paper yesterday that a 0.2 mile stretch of road works resulted in a 18 MILE DETOUR our road network is rubbish!!

Back