Thinkware F800 Pro ADAS and Wifi/Hotspot issue

billiethekid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, guys.

I just got this flagship dash cam for my girlfriend. Video quality seems good. But there are two issues I am not quite happy with.

1. ADAS: I only need the front collision warning both on highway speed and local speed. But neither of them works. There is a horizontal and a vertical alignment guide in the live view. I put the camera off the center towards the driver a little bit. So the vertical line is not accurately aligned to the center of the hood. The Horizontal line only off by a little bit with the hood front but not much. Sensitivity is set at high. Using my iPhone 62, App version 1.2.2 Thinkware Cloud.

My question is: doesn't any owner of F800 Pro get the front collision function work? Is it a software issue which might get fixed with a future software update? Or do I have to accurately align my dash cam with the guidelines in live view?

2. Hotspot or Wifi connection.
I was able to connect the dash cam with hotspot and wifi. But I have to tap into the app and select connection. The other issue is when I am setting the dash cam, it's not recording.

The idea case I wish is that my cell phone can automatically connect to dashcam through the hotspot when I got into the car without opening the app. It would stay connected but won't affect the recording of the dashcam. Meanwhile, I can still use my LTE network to do navigation staff. If there is an accident during the parking and driving, the app would push notification to my cellphone app so I can check it out. Otherwise, I don't need to pay attention to the dash cam.

Does anyone know whether the ideal case I mentioned above is achievable?

Thanks

ADAS is hit and miss, you'll most likely never get that to work the way you want

The WiFi won't work the way you want

Actually I get high speed and low speed collision warnings on mine by way of warning bings. My positioning is near enough in the middle of the windshield in front of the interior mirror. Hope that help one of your questions.

ADAS is hit and miss, you'll most likely never get that to work the way you want

The WiFi won't work the way you want

Thanks for your reply. I guess if collision warning doesn't work properly, I can live with it.

So, most of the time when you are just driving and recording, there is no need to connect to the dash cam?

Actually I get high speed and low speed collision warnings on mine by way of warning bings. My positioning is near enough in the middle of the windshield in front of the interior mirror. Hope that help one of your questions.

Thanks, man. I will try to see whether I can re-position my dash cam. How do you configure the setup in the app? In the safety setting, I am little bit confused about HIGH, MEDIUM and LOW.

I had most settings on MEDIUM to start with and just experimented as I went along. In Parking Mode if Motion Detection is set too high, you will get a lot of false positives, like I said try experimenting and I am sure you'll find an ideal setting to cater for your needs.

I disabled ADAS. I have one build in to my car already and it is an active system (i.e. it apply brakes and slows the car down). The F800 only sends out warnings and annoys the driver and passenger.

I disabled ADAS. I have one build in to my car already and it is an active system (i.e. it apply brakes and slows the car down). The F800 only sends out warnings and annoys the driver and passenger.

Unfortunately my car is not equipped with fancy gear like that, like Fred Flintstone I have to stick a foot out to stop or slow mine down :p - Yes I totally agree the warnings can be annoying at times specially when your old mom asks - Is that a lady talking to you?.

Unfortunately my car is not equipped with fancy gear like that, like Fred Flintstone I have to stick a foot out to stop or slow mine down :p - Yes I totally agree the warnings can be annoying at times specially when your old mom asks - Is that a lady talking to you?.

I bet you have much faster reaction times than the ADAS system that's build into your dash cam. Heck, your reaction time is probably faster than mine. I am not pulling your leg or trying to poke fun at you or your car. I am serious as I find over reliance on those system can decrease a person's alertness and sensitivity to road conditions.

Those build in safety systems are great as they act as a 2nd set of eyes on the road; however, sometimes they can be very annoying with all the bells and beeping.

Yes I suppose you're right as we become more and more reliant on the modern gadgets in a car these days tends to dull one's reaction time, but now we've got them can we live without them? When changing my car for a new one, I tend to go for one with the same specs as the previous or higher.

Back