Thinkware F800 Pro for Mustang GT

ivantwilliams

Reaction score
Country
United States
Evening/Morning all,

I have been researching dash cams for the past few days.
Talk about a rabbit hole. I think I am on the fence for:
- Thinkwave F800 Pro
- BlackVue D620 2ch

But, the things I can't get my head around is power (connection to the 2018 Mustang fuse box) and recording while parked.
Obviously, I don't want to kill my car battery, so I have to purchase a 'power' thingy, right?

Thanks all. I am close to purchasing the Thinkwave F800 Pro from Amazon, and then install myself. Maybe I can get it for next day delivery and install ;)

At least for the Thinkware, you can set a curt-off voltage where the camera will shut-off if the battery’s voltage drops to a certain amount.

It’s is recommended to get an external battery. This way, you know for sure your camera will be recording for at least a whole day that it’s parked. Thinkware is a 2-channel system power requirements will be more demanding.

Any other opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hey @ivanwi11iams

There's a couple ways to set up parking mode on each camera.
The Thinkware F800 Pro requires a Thinkware Hardwiring kit or you can use an external battery pack (something like Cellink Neo, Thinkware iVOLT, BlackVue B-124 (BlackVue battery requires a specific 3rd party cable to connect to the F800 Pro), then the F800 has voltage protection settings directly within the settings of the camera.

Not sure what Blackvue camera you meant, maybe the DR650?
The DR750S is closer to the F800 Pro hardware, the new 4K DR900S hardware being the newest of the 3.
Either way, to hardwire the BlackVue camera you would use the BlackVue Power Magic Pro.
Essentially the PMP is a hardwiring kit + voltage protection for your battery, all in one.

You could also decide to use one of the previously mentioned external battery packs for BlackVue as well.

It sounds like you're looking for a 2 channel system?
If you go BlackVue you have to get a 2CH version from the start, as BlackVue removes any input for a rear cable on their 1ch cameras.
With the F800 Pro, you can get the rear camera after if you wanted.

If cloud service is a desire, BlackVue has the better cloud service overall.
Though both still leave room for improvement imo.

You should be able to find bundles that include the extras you need for hardwiring for both BlackVue DR750S & DR900S (not sure about anything older) and the Thinkware F800 Pro with Front + Rear cams with a Thinkware hardwiring kit.

At the end of the day, hardwiring into your fusebox usually is straightforward and one of us will likely be able to help you clear up any potential install issues.

Feel free to send a message if you have any other questions.

So many choices. I can get the one below from Amazon for $399, with a 16GB memory card, and the 'power magic pro'.
Blackvue DR750S-2CH With Power Magic Pro Hardwire Kit

I just need to do a little more research before I purchase.

Thanks for everyone's input.
I think I will wait on getting a dash cam. These are pricey, and the reviews from everyday customers aren't exactly warm and fuzzy.

Yeah 16 Gb are like minutes of recording, you will need 128 Gb,,,, at least.

Just curious
ivanwi11iams

What did you finally settle for? I can share some experiences with you. I drive a 2015 S550 GT.

Back