Thinkware F800 Pro Parking Mode/Motion Dectection Issues

sploinker

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey community!

I installed my Thinkware F800 Pro back in July and it has been working flawlessly. However, I went out on 1 January to look at some motion detection video and noticed it stopped recording back on Dec 30th for no apparent reason. I then formatted the card, tested motion sense recording and everything worked. Later I drove to the store and when I came out got the "there were x recordings" message and checked them and sure enough motion sense was working again, this was 5ish. Went out this morning and last recording was last night around 6ish. So it looks like it only worked for a number of hours then stopped again like on the 30th. Also note I was on my way somewhere so didn't mess with it but apparently the act of just running the truck it started working again because there were recordings when I came out of the docs office.

Things I have done:
Reformatted SD.
Tested cold battery juice and it was 25.8 volts on a 24 volt battery. Battery protection set at 24.

I just brought the card in to download the latest firmware to see if this helps but I'm at a loss why its suddenly behaving like this.....

Will post results tomorrow of the firmware update. However, for something that has been working normally with no issues I doubt its a firmware issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am also now fighting with the dreaded black video in PC Viewer.

Thanks all!

If you check your settings in the app, you may find that the camera is set to switch off when the vehicle 12v battery discharges to a certain voltage. It's a while since I installed my camera but I think this is set as a default. If you have customised your settings, make a note of them before updating the firmware, I found mine defaulted to factory settings after a firmware update.

Sorry, just noticed you have already checked the battery protection settings.

When you checked the 'Cold Battery Juice' was that actually at the vehicle batteries or actually going down the Thinkware power cable?

If you look at the last Motion Recording you got what is the Battery Voltage showing at the bottom of the clip? I would just check the 'Timer' hasn't been set for the parking recordings too....

OK so you are on to something. I wasn't thinking of the 12V the device needed. My battery is 24V and I measured + and - terminals directly at the battery. I went out today and the device stopped recording yesterday at the exact same time as the day before 18:13:33. Looking at the last video on both days the volts says 12.1 and the 12v protection setting is 12.2. I assumed the 12 volt was ignored with a 24 volt battery and only the 24 volt setting applied. My battery is solid, so wonder what could be causing the voltage to drop at the same time each day.

I do have the record timer set at 24hrs but it has been like that from day 1. Don't think that effects motion sense recording. What's funny is the manual says this:

From 12V or 24V, select the desired voltage.
For vehicles using a 12 V battery (most passenger vehicles), configure the 12V setting.
For vehicles using the 24 V battery (trucks and commercial vehicles), adjust the 24V setting.
The new setting is applied automatically.

I have no option to not set the 12V. When you enable protection both become active and there is no "none" or other option under 12V.

Hmmm now that I read about record time and since my truck has been sitting a lot lately due to holiday break I wonder if that's what's going on. Kind of makes sense why all 3 days it stopped around the same time! Maybe I just never noticed :facepalm:

Last edited:
OK so I set both protection to the default 12v and 24v. Set the record time to 72 hours. Went out today and noticed it stopped recording after about 2 hours and voltage on last recording was 11.9! So clearly something going on with the voltage which doesn't make sense since the battery has a full charge and starts immediately. Battery less than 2 years in a 2018 Tacoma. Any other thoughts that might be causing the voltage issue?

Yes the camera Auto Detects the voltage going to it and works on either the 12v or 24v battery shut down setting. It sounds like your vehicle is 24v but the camera must be connected directly to a 12v supply from the vehicle. Otherwise the battery voltage would be showing 23.8v on recordings for example.

I think i would be looking for a 24v permanent supply to the camera instead of the 12v supply....

Will probably just buy a Cellink NEO. I'm not going to mess around with a 24volt connection.

Yes the camera Auto Detects the voltage going to it and works on either the 12v or 24v battery shut down setting. It sounds like your vehicle is 24v but the camera must be connected directly to a 12v supply from the vehicle. Otherwise the battery voltage would be showing 23.8v on recordings for example.

I think i would be looking for a 24v permanent supply to the camera instead of the 12v supply....

Agreed!

Where? I followed instructions/videos from BBMC and never saw anything recommending a 24volt connection. Also, wouldn't the voltage dip just the same from a battery standpoint? I'm not an electronics guy but can certainly follow instructions and connect to known points as recommended. I assumed it needed to be 12volt because of the guides I followed. Is there a posted guide for 24 volt battery in trucks?

Where? I followed instructions/videos from BBMC and never saw anything recommending a 24volt connection. Also, wouldn't the voltage dip just the same from a battery standpoint? I'm not an electronics guy but can certainly follow instructions and connect to known points as recommended. I assumed it needed to be 12volt because of the guides I followed. Is there a posted guide for 24 volt battery in trucks?

As jokiin says often a 24v vehicle will have 12v circuits too. 24v would be better as for a start the higher the Voltage the less Amperage the Camera uses so it should increase the Parking recording time. I can't help with a wiring location to find a 24v though as we don't have that model in the UK. I would expect there to be a main 24v supply into a fusebox though...

Back